HOPKINS: Gaffe draws super response

http://www.tonawanda-news.com/local/local_..._148003029.html

My favorite part was "To make sure I knew of this transgression, nearly two dozen people took the time to let me know." Two whole dozen? How on earth did you get 100% of your subscribers to respond?? BAZAAM!!!

Yeah, I know, I know, slow news day...

Good find I read that buffoon's "open letter" too. It's clear this mook still doesn't understand the irony in bashing T.O., while simultaneously showing that he obviously doesn't follow the guy's career, or sports in general. The storm surrounding T.O.'s Super Bowl performance was a huge story following the Eagles loss. The great performance by T.O. coming off the injury, T.O. pointing out McNabb puking in the huddle, etc. This reporter should rub his two brain cells together, or *gasp* do some actual research before busting out the Crayola's to scribble another critical letter.

But he's arrogantly only had 1 error out of 41 columns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we should go look at his other columns and find the same dumb mistakes...he pissed me off with his "batting average" comment.

Yeah, according to him: "perfection ruined" :blink:

I agree whole-heartedly with all previous posts. This guy is writing an article about how 24 people wrote to correct him?!?! Has he nothing better to do? Rather - I'd say this is his only way of getting readership - mentioning TO - even though he knows nothing about him, or the game. He just knows if he writes about TO, he'll have more readers. The downside for him is we all get to see what kind of a goof he is in writing such inane blather.

It has been an eye-opening experience for me - the Bills picking-up Owens - I have never seen such idiocy follow any one person the way the press falls all over itself chasing every TO snipet! It's an issue when he says he doesn't attend OTAs. It's an issue when he shows up at OTAs. Then they try and say he's disingenious (sp) for showing up when he said he doesn't attend them!! Does anyone with a brain have a problem with TO's explanation? In short, he's saying he needs to get on the same page as TE & LE. Maybe if they play lights-out this year AND he re-signs, then maybe he won't come to the OTAs next year - I would have no problem with that because they would already be on the same page. The made an issue of the jersey number, McGees injury too - ridiculous!

Lastly, I must admit I've never been a big TO fan, feeling as though he brings all of this on himself. But since the Bills have picked him up - he's been great. A good teammate, nice to the public on many occasions, and he seemed actually touched at his Buffalo Airport reception - to which the media chided him and Buffalo. Maybe, just maybe, TO is not the issue. I'm sure he loves the attn, but he cannot force the NFL Network and ESPN to follow him around. He can't force VH1 to do a show on him. It truly seems he is less than 50% responsible for all the hullaboo - probably way less! I have changed my opinion of him. I'll let his actions speak for him and I will pay attention to that - not all the garbage being thrown at him (& us) through the media. I have dropped my pre-conceived notions towards him. I welcome him with open arms. And I hope he helps the Bills beyond our wildest expectations.

http://www.tonawanda-news.com/local/local_..._148003029.html

My favorite part was "To make sure I knew of this transgression, nearly two dozen people took the time to let me know." Two whole dozen? How on earth did you get 100% of your subscribers to respond?? BAZAAM!!!

Yeah, I know, I know, slow news day...

The hack is full of himself. How a writer from the Tonawanda Whatever could have an ego to fill up a top floor window-view office of the New York Times is beyond me. He wrote a whole article telling us he wrote an article with mistakes. Who really cares?? :blink:

But he's arrogantly only had 1 error out of 41 columns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we should go look at his other columns and find the same dumb mistakes...he pissed me off with his "batting average" comment.

Hopkins = Douche Bag

He probably has TBD to thank for his well-read, poorly written article. Wonder if he's read Journalism for Dummies?

Yes, he should check his facts before he writes something like that. But I gotta give him credit for calling himself out on it. The batting average comment was douchebaggery at its worst, though.

I agree whole-heartedly with all previous posts. This guy is writing an article about how 24 people wrote to correct him?!?! Has he nothing better to do? Rather - I'd say this is his only way of getting readership - mentioning TO - even though he knows nothing about him, or the game. He just knows if he writes about TO, he'll have more readers. The downside for him is we all get to see what kind of a goof he is in writing such inane blather.

It has been an eye-opening experience for me - the Bills picking-up Owens - I have never seen such idiocy follow any one person the way the press falls all over itself chasing every TO snipet! It's an issue when he says he doesn't attend OTAs. It's an issue when he shows up at OTAs. Then they try and say he's disingenious (sp) for showing up when he said he doesn't attend them!! Does anyone with a brain have a problem with TO's explanation? In short, he's saying he needs to get on the same page as TE & LE. Maybe if they play lights-out this year AND he re-signs, then maybe he won't come to the OTAs next year - I would have no problem with that because they would already be on the same page. The made an issue of the jersey number, McGees injury too - ridiculous!

Lastly, I must admit I've never been a big TO fan, feeling as though he brings all of this on himself. But since the Bills have picked him up - he's been great. A good teammate, nice to the public on many occasions, and he seemed actually touched at his Buffalo Airport reception - to which the media chided him and Buffalo. Maybe, just maybe, TO is not the issue. I'm sure he loves the attn, but he cannot force the NFL Network and ESPN to follow him around. He can't force VH1 to do a show on him. It truly seems he is less than 50% responsible for all the hullaboo - probably way less! I have changed my opinion of him. I'll let his actions speak for him and I will pay attention to that - not all the garbage being thrown at him (& us) through the media. I have dropped my pre-conceived notions towards him. I welcome him with open arms. And I hope he helps the Bills beyond our wildest expectations.

Excellent post.

He doesn't need to write a whole column just because 75% of his readership called him out. A simple retraction would suffice, dontcha think. :blink:

Does this qualify for his submission this week? Him regurgitating TO's SB stats from ESPN.com and answering his mailbag?

I didn't like it. He made a mistake. Acknowledge it and move on. No need to counter-attack the readers.

Yup. "Thank you for reading," even when typed with gritted teeth (as we all sometimes do), would have definitely been more professional. Corrections aren't fun, but they're part of the job.

One more thought before I move on: A columnist's job is to give his opinion, and perhaps initiate a discussion. If the "nearly two dozen" replies to this piece represented more than his other columns combined ... ouch.