Sure Wish the French Were Helping...

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
It is.  We're not "exercising our leadership".

Of course, if we did we'd be "imperialistic".  :w00t:

104883[/snapback]

Kosovo, Somalia, and Iraq in 1991 weren't 'imperialistic'.. I wonder why. :)

:wub:

Kosovo, Somalia, and Iraq in 1991 weren't 'imperialistic'.. I wonder why.  :w00t:

:)

104929[/snapback]

Somalia and Iraq were - I heard plenty of people say so. Kosovo, NATO had to drag us into kicking and screaming...that was us "not exercising our leadership."

Somalia and Iraq were - I heard plenty of people say so.  Kosovo, NATO had to drag us into kicking and screaming...that was us "not exercising our leadership."

104953[/snapback]

Of course Iraq I was American Imperialism. They just tricked the rest of the world into thinking Kuwait had been invaded and Syria, France, Egypt, Oz, UK, UAE, etc, etc all fell for the vile lies of Bush the Elder. :w00t:

I have heard a couple of people voice the America is imperialist opinion on that war and they were nuts. And in the true manner of a PPP poster I told them they were none too politely to their face (something like.....'You are f@$£@ng nuts. I need another beer.'). I have no time for utter idiots.......

I have no time for utter idiots.......

105012[/snapback]

Make time, they seem to breed a lot faster than smart people.

I just picked up a book the other day ("Afghanistan" by Amalendu Misra out of Queen's University in Belfast) that goes into some detail explaining how the invasion of Afghanistan and overthrow of the poor, innocent Taliban was a prime example of American imperialism, and demonstrates the natural progression of the growth in American imperialism from Kosovo to Afghanistan. It's actually not a bad book in terms of the information it provides...but the conclusions are all bass-ucking-fackwards. If not for the quality of the underlying sources, it would be a terminally putrid book.

Desert Storm, I believe, was one of the most brilliant wars in political terms that America's fought post-WWII. Militarily...I can take it or leave it. Lots of stupidity in the prosecution of that particular campaign.

Of course Iraq I was American Imperialism. They just tricked the rest of the world into thinking Kuwait had been invaded and Syria, France, Egypt, Oz, UK, UAE, etc, etc all fell for the vile lies of Bush the Elder.  <_<

I have heard a couple of people voice the America is imperialist opinion on that war and they were nuts. And in the true manner of a PPP poster I told them they were none too politely to their face (something like.....'You are f@$£@ng nuts. I need another beer.'). I have no time for utter idiots.......

105012[/snapback]

Is Iraq II Americam imperialism?

...didn't we want Iraq as a levergae point in the region???

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
Somalia and Iraq were - I heard plenty of people say so.  Kosovo, NATO had to drag us into kicking and screaming...that was us "not exercising our leadership."

104953[/snapback]

Well they were wrong anyways... we came to the aid of the people in the right way, so obviously they were far-left Berkeley-type people who have absolutely no understanding of world politics.

I will defend our actions up until Iraq II... I am hoping that nothing like that happens again. We can't afford to be isolated after Blair loses the Ministry.

Is Iraq II Americam imperialism?

...didn't we want Iraq as a levergae point in the region???

105080[/snapback]

An argument could be made for Iraq II, not that I would agree with it as I see it more as a pretyt much inevitable result of Iraq I not really ending conclusively (ie: getting rid of Saddam). However the argument is not one I would consider to be totally outside the bounds of reason.

Iraq I on the other hand could only be argued as such by idiots, the KzooMike (who I would have time and would argue with for if there was valid reason for the ignorance) or those who wish to put the US despite inconvenient facts.

Desert Storm, I believe, was one of the most brilliant wars in political terms that America's fought post-WWII. Militarily...I can take it or leave it. Lots of stupidity in the prosecution of that particular campaign.

105071[/snapback]

Desert Storm was not so badly run considering the enormous amount of diplomatic and political baggage that went with having such a wide ranging coalition. In the end the military got the job done that was asked of them fairly smoothly (as smoothly as wars go....)

Imperialism

2 : the policy, practice, or advocacy of extending the power and dominion of a nation especially by direct territorial acquisitions or by gaining indirect control over the political or economic life of other areas; broadly : the extension or imposition of power, authority, or influence <union imperialism>

The key and operative words there, of course, are "especially by direct territorial acquisitions or by gaining indirect control over the political or economic life of other areas". My problem with Iraq II is that the rest of the world thought the US was imperialistic before, and were wrong, but now they are basically right, based on the definition of the word. Iraq I was not taking over a country and forcing your government on them, it was stopping an aggression. Afghanistan was different because we were attacked by these people and very few governments or populations in the world thought we were just taking over a country because we wanted to. But Iraq II proved their point, which used to be wrong. Whether the war was smart or not, or necessary is an altogether different question. But taking over Iraq was American imperialism according to the vast majority of the world.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
Imperialism

2 : the policy, practice, or advocacy of extending the power and dominion of a nation especially by direct territorial acquisitions or by gaining indirect control over the political or economic life of other areas; broadly : the extension or imposition of power, authority, or influence <union imperialism>

The key and operative words there, of course, are "especially by direct territorial acquisitions or by gaining indirect control over the political or economic life of other areas". My problem with Iraq II is that the rest of the world thought the US was imperialistic before, and were wrong, but now they are basically right, based on the definition of the word. Iraq I was not taking over a country and forcing your government on them, it was stopping an aggression. Afghanistan was different because we were attacked by these people and very few governments or populations in the world thought we were just taking over a country because we wanted to. But Iraq II proved their point, which used to be wrong. Whether the war was smart or not, or necessary is an altogether different question. But taking over Iraq was American imperialism according to the vast majority of the world.

105487[/snapback]

That's what makes me so very angry, and why so many others share my viewpoint that we wasted world goodwill after 9/11 by invading Iraq... you are right when it gave the nut jobs an actual valid reason for once for labeling us with the "I" word.