Memorial Day Quotes

damj

Don't forget to take a few moments this weekend to reflect on our honored dead, though whose sacrifices our freedom has been secured ...

And each man stand with his face in the light of his own drawn sword. Ready to do what a hero can.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Four things support the world: the learning of the wise, the justice of the great, the prayers of the good, and the valor of the brave.

Muhammad

Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened.

Billy Graham

The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.

Thucydides

A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.

Joseph Campbell

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe

Heroism is latent in every human soul - However humble or unknown, they (the veterans) have renounced what are accounted pleasures and cheerfully undertaken all the self-denials - privations, toils, dangers, sufferings, sicknesses, mutilations, life-long hurts and losses, death itself - for some great good, dimly seen but dearly held.

Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

True bravery is shown by performing without witness what one might be capable of doing before all the world.

François de la Rochefoucauld

We must be prepared to make heroic sacrifices for the cause of peace that we make ungrudgingly for the cause of war. There is no task that is more important or closer to my heart.

Albert Einstein

It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.

Norman Schwarzkopf

Valor is a gift. Those having it never know for sure whether they have it till the test comes. And those having it in one test never know for sure if they will have it when the next test comes.

Napoleon Bonaparte

On thy grave the rain shall fall from the eyes of a mighty nation!

Thomas William Parsons

Although no sculptured marble should rise to their memory, nor engraved stone bear record of their deeds, yet will their remembrance be as lasting as the land they honored.

Daniel Webster

With the tears a Land hath shed. Their graves should ever be green.

Thomas Bailey Aldrich

Are they dead that yet speak louder than we can speak, and a more universal language? Are they dead that yet act? Are they dead that yet move upon society and inspire the people with nobler motives and more heroic patriotism?

Henry Ward Beecher

Green sods are all their monuments; and yet it tells a nobler history than pillared piles, or the eternal pyramids.

James Gates Percival

Is't death to fall for Freedom's right?

He's dead alone who lacks her light!

Thomas Campbell

For love of country they accepted death...

James A. Garfield

They fell, but o'er their glorious grave floats free the banner of the cause they died to save.

Francis Marion Crawford

Blow out, you bugles, over the rich Dead!

There's none of these so lonely and poor of old,

But, dying, has made us rarer gifts than gold.

Rupert Brooke

The brave die never, though they sleep in dust:

Their courage nerves a thousand living men.

Minot J. Savage

The legacy of heroes is the memory of a great name and the inheritance of a great example. ~Benjamin Disraeli

And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.

And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.

Lee Greenwood

They are dead; but they live in each Patriot's breast,

And their names are engraven on honor's bright crest.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Peace to each manly soul that sleepeth;

Rest to each faithful eye that weepeth...

Thomas Moore

But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for,

Is their monument to-day, and for aye.

Thomas Dunn English

And they who for their country die shall fill an honored grave, for glory lights the soldier's tomb, and beauty weeps the brave.

Joseph Drake

Perform, then, this one act of remembrance before this Day passes - Remember there is an army of defense and advance that never dies and never surrenders, but is increasingly recruited from the eternal sources of the American spirit and from the generations of American youth.

W.J. Cameron

How sleep the brave, who sink to rest,

By all their country's wishes blest!

When Spring, with dewy fingers cold,

Returns to deck their hallow'd mould,

She there shall dress a sweeter sod

Than Fancy's feet have ever trod.

By fairy hands their knell is rung,

There Honour comes, a pilgrim gray,

To bless the turf that wraps their clay;

And Freedom shall awhile repair,

To dwell, a weeping hermit, there.

William Collins

The patriot's blood is the seed of Freedom's tree.

Thomas Campbell

We who are left how shall we look again

Happily on the sun or feel the rain

Without remembering how they who went

Ungrudgingly and spent

Their lives for us loved, too, the sun and rain?

Wilfred Wilson Gibson

Cover them over with beautiful flowers,

Deck them with garlands, those brothers of ours,

Lying so silent by night and by day

Sleeping the years of their manhood away.

Give them the meed they have won in the past;

Give them the honors their future forcast;

Give them the chaplets they won in the strife;

Give them the laurels they lost with their life.

Will Carleton

All we have of freedom, all we use or know -

This our fathers bought for us long and long ago.

Rudyard Kipling, The Old Issue, 1899

Our battle-fields, safe in the keeping

Of Nature's kind, fostering care,

Are blooming, - our heroes are sleeping, -

And peace broods perennial there.

John H. Jewett

The dead soldier's silence sings our national anthem.

Aaron Kilbourn

Our cheer goes back to them, the valiant dead!

Laurels and roses on their graves to-day,

Lilies and laurels over them we lay,

And violets o'er each unforgotten head.

Richard Hovey

But fame is theirs - and future days

On pillar'd brass shall tell their praise;

Shall tell - when cold neglect is dead -

"These for their country fought and bled."

Philip Freneau

Let no vandalism of avarice or neglect, no ravages of time, testify to the present or to the coming generations, that we have forgotten, as a people, the cost of a free and undivided Republic.

John A. Logan

The story of America's quest for freedom is inscribed on her history in the blood of her patriots.

Randy Vader

Spirit, that made those heroes dare

To die, and leave their children free,

Bid Time and Nature gently spare

The shaft we raise to them and thee.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Alas, how can we help but mourn

When hero bosoms yield their breath!

A century itself may bear

But once the flower of such a death.

S. Weir Mitchell

These martyrs of patriotism gave their lives for an idea.

Schuyler Colfax

They saw their injured country's woe;

The flaming town, the wasted field;

Then rushed to meet the insulting foe;

They took the spear, - but left the shield.

Philip Freneau

Ah! never shall the land forget

How gushed the life-blood of her brave -

William Cullen Bryant

"Dead upon the field of glory,"

Hero fit for song and story.

John Randolph Thompason

Knights of the spirit; warriors in the cause

Of justice absolute 'twixt man and man.

Richard Watson Gilder

Fold him in his country's stars.

Roll the drum and fire the volley!

What to him are all our wars,

What but death bemocking folly?

George Henry Boker

The hero dead cannot expire:

The dead still play their part.

Charles Sangster

We come, not to mourn our dead soldiers, but to praise them.

Francis A. Walker

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation, so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate... we can not consecrate... we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government : of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. - President Abraham Lincoln, Given at the dedication of the Soldiers' National Cemetery, November 16, 1863 Gettysburg, PA

Thank you for your service.

While we may disagree with why we need to protect our country, because some seem to think we just need to say " I'm Sorry, we didnt mean to blow your sh-- up, please kill us".

I'd like to say Thank you for giving those idiots the right to say " We Suck", and "We should die"

Go USA!! :ph34r:

Before I make my quote, please understand that I am not being disrespectful and that I remain reverent to the memorial of all who have worked so hard and ultimately paid the eternal price for this great nation.

"Great nations have their heroes, it is the sad nation that needs them."

I am not sure who said that, but it was shortly after 911 that I picked that up. Take from it what you will. Please don't take it to be negative. It is a very positive and unselfish quote.