Number of the week - 73.8 %.

Lori

Gratuitious bump for a great post - hell, for a football post, period.

Lori, was your observation on Penningtion completion percentage intended to be specific to the Bills' or a more general comment on his throwing? If it was specific to the Bills...as you know, he's already got an inhuman completion percentage as it is, beating it by 5 points against the Bills isn't quite an indictment of the secondary. If it was more general...disgusting, isn't it?

After further review, the 78% completion was all against Bills soft underneath, and they basically nickel & dimed us down the field. I think Penny attempted 2 passes that traveled more than 25 yards in the air.

The key to stopping it is obviously a healthy Milloy, because all the cheapo stuff was aimed at the safeties. I'll still take my chances on our CBs vs their WRs. It would be nice to generate a consistent pass rush. Our ends were nothing special in that game, but if Adams continues to play mad, he may collapse the pocket enough to force Penny into Schobel or Kelsay.

The OL was the OL. Jennings & Williams alternated on brain farts. That was a bigger key than lack of physical play. Williams continues to confound in his inability to pick up blocking assignments. I think only one sack in that game was Drew's fault.

Beating a dead horse, the tone of the offense definitely picked up after McGahee got regular carries in the second half.

Still, the Bills can and should beat the Jets. I know we were fortunate in getting some breaks, but Bills also shot themselves early on.

I think Pennington is a very good QB. I think he could trade places with Marcia and do just about as well in that system as Brady has.

I think the Bills will beat the Jets.

Now I've used up all my brain power on those three thoughts.

Thanks for the rewind, GG. I certainly wasn't willing to sit through the first two hours of that game again...... <_<

DCTom, it was a little bit of both. Pennington's career number is 66.5 %; that's just unbelievable. Higher than Montana or Young.... heck, higher than ANYONE in the all-time Top 20 QB-rating list. And as well as he played against Buffalo, that's only his third-best completion % of the season.

Plus, he's only been sacked 7 times this season; that's another part of the problem. Might be able to rattle the guy if you get in his face -- but nobody can do that on a consistent basis, so we don't even know if that would work or not.

Or maybe we do... the Bills managed to get pressure on CP in the game at the Ralph last December, sacking him four times before halftime and five times overall. Result: 15-29, 155 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT, and the first NFL game Pennington ever started where the Jets never got into the end zone. 17-6, Bills. Add in a 20mph wind -- let's hear it for more "football weather", yay! -- and hopefully we'll see similar results today.

Gotta run - 2-hour drive, and I want to be on the road by 7. Go Bills!