Empire Sports

What ever happened to the Empire Sports Network. I really miss Howard, Vic, Larry, And Art Wander. Will They ever get a similar network back on the SAT TV. I hate all these FOX Sports channels. They are all the same.

What ever happened to the Empire Sports Network. I really miss Howard, Vic, Larry, And Art Wander. Will They ever get a similar network back on the SAT TV. I hate all these FOX Sports channels. They are all the same.

It all crashed to earth when the Rigas' who owned the Sabres and Adelphia Cable were put in jail for embezzlement.

PTR

Sadly, Empire went away in early 2005, one of many victims of the Adelphia mess. When the new directors came in, they didn't give a crap about keeping the station running:

"Empire was doing great," Koshinski said. "We were making tons of money. And the people at Adelphia Communications decided to pull the plug so they could charge you $2 on your cable bill without providing a product. It had nothing to do with the bankruptcy."

Will there ever be anything to replace it? Unlikely, unless someone with a lot of money to burn decides they need a new project. (Realistically, Empire never gets off the ground if John Rigas doesn't a.) love sports, and b.) need programming for his cable systems.)

Time Warner Cable did start SportsNet. But in talking to their director, Steve Arvan, he has no interest in streaming shows online (and probably not in satellite either, although we didn't really discuss that). His responsibility is to his cable customers.

It died when the Rigases killed Adelphia with their shenanigans. I doubt WNY will see another regional network in the near future. It's not even possible until the Sabres contract comes up for bid again.

I have to say it irks the hell out of me watching a Sabres game on MSG and enduring the NYC commercials as though anyone in WNY gives a good god damn about the Legends of Madison Square Garden. They have to run a show about the legends because nobody worth a damn plays there now!

They were operated by Adelphia, yes?... part of the shenanigans that the Rigas's were pulling... Empire was given Sabres broadcasts as a loss, if I recall correctly. They never could have justified themselves financially otherwise. When the Rigas's lost the Sabres, Empire had lost it's only revenue source.

I'm sure someone with better memory can correct me or clarify.

It died when the Rigases killed Adelphia with their shenanigans. I doubt WNY will see another regional network in the near future. It's not even possible until the Sabres contract comes up for bid again.

I have to say it irks the hell out of me watching a Sabres game on MSG and enduring the NYC commercials as though anyone in WNY gives a good god damn about the Legends of Madison Square Garden. They have to run a show about the legends because nobody worth a damn plays there now!

Dude... I'm so slow :devil:

Is Art Wander still alive? How old is he now? When I first started following the Bills in the late 80s, he already seemed to be at least a million years old. Granted, I was six, but still...

WHO ME?

Is Art Wander still alive? How old is he now? When I first started following the Bills in the late 80s, he already seemed to be at least a million years old. Granted, I was six, but still...

Art lived down the street from me for a while. He moved to Tennessee 6 or 7 years ago. I think he had family there. I ran into him at the Galleria Mall a few years back and he seemed to be doing just fine.

Art lived down the street from me for a while. He moved to Tennessee 6 or 7 years ago. I think he had family there. I ran into him at the Galleria Mall a few years back and he seemed to be doing just fine.

Art's the kind of guy who doesn't fool around

He knows all the sports, he knows every town

Basketball, baseball, football, hockey and mo'

From Calgary to Boston and of course Buffalo

They call him Art Wander, yeah Art Wander

He gets around, around, around...

I have an old tape that a friend recently converted to CD of unbelievable prank calls we used to make Art and Chuck Dickerson. Good stuff. My aliases included Mohammed from Pakistan, Clarence from Clarence and Jamal from the East Side

yeah.....I just sang that song to myself...good stuff!

I have an old tape that a friend recently converted to CD of unbelievable prank calls we used to make Art and Chuck Dickerson. Good stuff. My aliases included Mohammed from Pakistan, Clarence from Clarence and Jamal from the East Side

Some of those prank calls were the best. One time I remember listening after a sabres game a guy called in , said he had way to much to drink at the game & crashed into a snow bank on the corner of Walden & Harlem. Said he had some time to kill so he walked to the pay phone on the corner & decided to call Artie Baby Boo Boo. Wander replied "well I am sure the cheektowaga police will be by any minute to pick you up" & hung up on him.

Some of those prank calls were the best. One time I remember listening after a sabres game a guy called in , said he had way to much to drink at the game & crashed into a snow bank on the corner of Walden & Harlem. Said he had some time to kill so he walked to the pay phone on the corner & decided to call Artie Baby Boo Boo. Wander replied "well I am sure the cheektowaga police will be by any minute to pick you up" & hung up on him.

Man those were the days. I don't live in Buffalo anymore but I listen to some of the guys on wgr's website. Why does everybody take everything so seriously now? Schopp and Jeremy White in particular, they sound like dicks. Incidentally, there used to be a show on saturdays called Pet Talk that we pranked as well. But there will never be another Art Wander.

Schopp and Jeremy White in particular, they sound like dicks.

I agree 100%. In fact, I can say that Jeremy White is a bigger sarcastic, miserable, know-it-all douchebag than Schoop - but not by much. They should give those two @ssholes their own show and see if that stab each other.

I agree 100%. In fact, I can say that Jeremy White is a bigger sarcastic, miserable, know-it-all douchebag than Schoop - but not by much. They should give those two @ssholes their on show and see if that stab each other.

The funny thing is, when Schopp used to be on WNSA FM back when I still lived in Buffalo, he was awesome. Then for whatever reason, he became this miserable douche after he switched over to WGR

Man those were the days. I don't live in Buffalo anymore but I listen to some of the guys on wgr's website. Why does everybody take everything so seriously now? Schopp and Jeremy White in particular, they sound like dicks. Incidentally, there used to be a show on saturdays called Pet Talk that we pranked as well. But there will never be another Art Wander.

The one time when we were in high school we were drinking over my friends house & they had some call in show & Lindy Ruff was on(that was when he was a player). My friend called in & said " Lindy I just want to know why the Sabres & most of all you suck at playing hockey" He did not know how to respond & the host said, "it looks like we have a couple wise guys on the phone this afternoon" & hung up.

Sadly, Empire went away in early 2005, one of many victims of the Adelphia mess. When the new directors came in, they didn't give a crap about keeping the station running:

Will there ever be anything to replace it? Unlikely, unless someone with a lot of money to burn decides they need a new project. (Realistically, Empire never gets off the ground if John Rigas doesn't a.) love sports, and b.) need programming for his cable systems.)

Time Warner Cable did start SportsNet. But in talking to their director, Steve Arvan, he has no interest in streaming shows online (and probably not in satellite either, although we didn't really discuss that). His responsibility is to his cable customers.

Thanks for the bad news Lori. I was hoping there was an outside chance that an "Empire Sports Network" type of channel was a possibility in the future but that looks very unlikely.