Prediction - 2 1,000 yd backs

2 1,000 yd backs.  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Will we have 2 1,000 yard backs?

• Yes
    • No
    • You're an idiot

If Fred Jackson goes off in the first 3 games (350+ yds), it is quite possible that we could have 2 thousand yard backs this year. Not likely but possible. If Lynch averages 77 ypg (vs. 69 in 08) and Jackson averages 50 yds (vs 36 in 08), they are there. If Jackson goes off and the addition of TO, theoretically the run game should improve (excluding the Rhodes factor) and they can get there.

I said no because of the Rhodes signing. If it was Lynch, Jackson, Omon, and Hall I would've been more inclined to say yes. I think that Rhodes will see a decent amount of touches this year, enough to keep Fred under 1,000 yards anyway. I still think that Marshawn will go over 1,000 this year though and get 500+ receiving as well. This is going to be a big year for Trent, if he can stay healthy.

With two rookies and a back up free agent center penciled in as starters, then an unknown starter at RT and an overweight slow left tackle all of whom have to prove they deserve the positions they will be slotted in... I'm not optimistic at all about the chances any RB the Bills have will even get 500 yards rushing.

The guy who took Jason Peters from a FA walk on TE to one of the highest paid all pro left tackles in the NFL is retired !!!

The Bills replaced him with a now 2nd year line coach, he was a rook himself last year. It is why the line played so badly,even with the size and experience they had on that line they didn't get the job done when they needed to.

Gone are the huge experienced lineman that blocked for Marshawn last season,only one starter remains from those 5 and he was moved from a spot he was productive in to the other side, so who really knows what the new line can do!

I was thinking about starting same thread. Yes I agree, we have a chance to have 2 1000 yeard backs. I think it is even likely, that we will have 2 backs with at least 1000 all purpose yards

My guess is that we won't have any 1,000 yard backs in 2009 for a couple reasons.

1. If Lynch is suspended for the first 3 games, he will need to average 77 yards a game. He only did that 4 times last year, with a much weaker passing game, a slightly better offensive line and a heavier reliance on the running game. Also, after two seasons in the NFL, Lynch has missed at least one game with an injury, no reason to believe it won't happen again.

2. Fred Jackson won't get enough touches with Dominic Rhodes in town, and barring an injury to Lynch, he wouldn't have gotten enough touches without Rhodes around anyway.

3. With the addition of T.O., the offense will focus on the pass more than the last few seasons, not only because they have more weapons, but because T.O. says so.

4. The Offensive line is weaker, specifically at Right Tackle now that Langston Walker has moved over to Left Tackle.

5. The only thing that might increase rushing totals is if Trent Edwards goes down and they are forced to play Ryan "Noodle Arm" Fitzpatrick, he can't throw more than 10 yards, so the running plays will increase.

3. With the addition of T.O., the offense will focus on the pass more than the last few seasons, not only because they have more weapons, but because T.O. says so.

5. The only thing that might increase rushing totals is if Trent Edwards goes down and they are forced to play Ryan "Noodle Arm" Fitzpatrick, he can't throw more than 10 yards, so the running plays will increase.

Here's the interesting thing about the running game -

If the Bills open it up and throw more often and hopefully score points and win games by decisive margins (10+), our running game should flourish dramatically between 4th quarter mop up time and an increased ypc during the rest of the game due to the wide open offense. Take a look at the "wide open" K-gun offense the Bills ran in the early 90's - known for throwing deep and quick strikes, however in the 4 super bowl years they were 7, 1, 1, 8 in rushing yards...

Here's the interesting thing about the running game -

If the Bills open it up and throw more often and hopefully score points and win games by decisive margins (10+), our running game should flourish dramatically between 4th quarter mop up time and an increased ypc during the rest of the game due to the wide open offense. Take a look at the "wide open" K-gun offense the Bills ran in the early 90's - known for throwing deep and quick strikes, however in the 4 super bowl years they were 7, 1, 1, 8 in rushing yards...

I haven't gone as far as hoping to win games by a decisive margin-I don't think we are that good yet, but I will take a win anyway we can get it. Also, I know the Bills had a great running attack in the Superbowl years, but we also had Thurman Thomas (Hall of Famer) and Kenny Davis (maybe the best backup RB in the NFL for a few years). If the current Bills are able to get a wide open offense going, and alot of that will depend on how much Trent Edwards improves, it will open up a running game, so all facets have to work together. A good passing game will open up a running game and vice versa.

With two rookies and a back up free agent center penciled in as starters, then an unknown starter at RT and an overweight slow left tackle all of whom have to prove they deserve the positions they will be slotted in... I'm not optimistic at all about the chances any RB the Bills have will even get 500 yards rushing.

The guy who took Jason Peters from a FA walk on TE to one of the highest paid all pro left tackles in the NFL is retired !!!

The Bills replaced him with a now 2nd year line coach, he was a rook himself last year. It is why the line played so badly,even with the size and experience they had on that line they didn't get the job done when they needed to.

Gone are the huge experienced lineman that blocked for Marshawn last season,only one starter remains from those 5 and he was moved from a spot he was productive in to the other side, so who really knows what the new line can do!

I feel much more comfortable with the line going into this year, as opposed to last year. If Marshawn could do work last year with Preston and Dockery, I have faith he'll be able to do the job with 2 solid rookies and a good center.

I feel much more comfortable with the line going into this year, as opposed to last year. If Marshawn could do work last year with Preston and Dockery, I have faith he'll be able to do the job with 2 solid rookies and a good center.

Hear, hear