Halo 2 v. Half-Life 2

col_forbin

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Halo2 is a no brainer. I know some people who played the beta version who say it was awsome. Halo2 is a must have if you use XBOX Live. I like Half Life, but it can't compare to Halo.

I'm interested to see Killzone on Playstation 2. It is supposed to be their alternative to Halo.

Well, since Halo 2 will be available at midnight on Monday, and Half Life 2 won't be on store shelves until Wednesday, the 17th, (unless you purchase it via Steam, which is Valve's online software "store"), so if you plan on getting both, it is really a no brainer.

As far as KillZone goes, initial reports are that it is merely okay. Not a Halo 2 killer at all...

Half-Life 2 does also give you Counter-Strike Source, and Day of Defeat. Two of the best mods that I ever played, not to mention the physics engine that it employs. Either way November is shaping up to be quite a month gaming wise.

:D

Halo2 is a no brainer.  I know some people who played the beta version who say it was awsome.  Halo2 is a must have if you use XBOX Live.  I like Half Life, but it can't compare to Halo.

I'm interested to see Killzone on Playstation 2.  It is supposed to be their alternative to Halo.

103394[/snapback]

I'm looking forward to getting Halo2 also. Of all the games I have for the Xbox (around 40 or so), Halo is probably the best out of all of them. Considering I tend to play more sports games than first person shooter games, that's saying a lot. I like some of the other shooter games, like the Medal of Honor and Splinter Cell series, and Mech Assault, but Halo is better than all of them.

The local EB guys told me that if you haven't made arrangements (pre-order/reserve), it will most likely be difficult to get your hands on Halo2.

As good as the Half-Life franchise is, I'd strongly suggest Halo2.

I'm a long time PC gamer but I also own an Xbox. I divide almost all of my time between flight sims and tactical shooters. I tried the original HALO to see what all the hype was about and I simply can't get used to the imprecision of the aiming. IMO, you basically wind up shooting at an area. Compared to a mouse and keyboard it's just not comfortable for me.

The other issue to consider is the eye candy. I know H2 is going to push the Xbox to it's limits but it's not going to look or play anywhere near as amazing as HL2. The drawback is that PC gaming is definitely more expensive becuause you're constantly chasing technology.

In the end, I'll likely wind up owning both though! Even dispite the fact that the GTA/console crowd makes me want to puke.

The local EB guys told me that if you haven't made arrangements (pre-order/reserve), it will most likely be difficult to get your hands on Halo2.

103713[/snapback]

He wouldn't be trying to pull a sales ploy on ya now would he???? :D

Neither. EQ2 comes out Tuesday and I have spent close to 500 bucks upgrading my three computers so I can Multi-box. Loved EQ, think EQ2 will be many times better....

Of course EQ2 is a mmorg, not a shooter....

I'm a long time PC gamer but I also own an Xbox.  I divide almost all of my time between flight sims and tactical shooters.  I tried the original HALO to see what all the hype was about and I simply can't get used to the imprecision of the aiming.  IMO, you basically wind up shooting at an area.  Compared to a mouse and keyboard it's just not comfortable for me. 

The other issue to consider is the eye candy.  I know H2 is going to push the Xbox to it's limits but it's not going to look or play anywhere near as amazing as HL2.  The drawback is that PC gaming is definitely more expensive becuause you're constantly chasing technology.

In the end, I'll likely wind up owning both though!  Even dispite the fact that the GTA/console crowd makes me want to puke.

103791[/snapback]

I agree with you about Halo. It was fun, but nowhere near as good as Half Life (original) or Far Cry (current0. It's defiantely more fun with multiple people around the TV though. But give me a PC FPS any day.

CW

I'm a long time PC gamer but I also own an Xbox.  I divide almost all of my time between flight sims and tactical shooters.  I tried the original HALO to see what all the hype was about and I simply can't get used to the imprecision of the aiming.  IMO, you basically wind up shooting at an area.  Compared to a mouse and keyboard it's just not comfortable for me. 

The other issue to consider is the eye candy.  I know H2 is going to push the Xbox to it's limits but it's not going to look or play anywhere near as amazing as HL2.  The drawback is that PC gaming is definitely more expensive becuause you're constantly chasing technology.

In the end, I'll likely wind up owning both though!  Even dispite the fact that the GTA/console crowd makes me want to puke.

103791[/snapback]

I have to disagree with you Mike. I'm an origanl Doom player over Lans. Halo is by far the best FPS shooter I've ever played. I thought it would be tough getting away from the keyboard and mouse, but I find it harder to go back to PC games. I can still pick up Halo and play it like it was the first time. Can't wait for H2.

I have to disagree with you Mike.  I'm an origanl Doom player over Lans.  Halo is by far the best FPS shooter  I've ever played.  I thought it would be tough getting away from the keyboard and mouse, but I find it harder to go back to PC games.  I can still pick up Halo and play it  like it was the first time.  Can't wait for H2.

104123[/snapback]

Try Doom 3. With the lights off and surround sound.

He wouldn't be trying to pull a sales ploy on ya now would he???? :P

103876[/snapback]

With 1.5 million copies pre-ordered or reserved, its probably true.

I've been told the EB at the Galleria plans to be open until about 3 am to handle all of the expected traffic at midnight madness. Jack Astors will be the waiting room, and I've heard they will call numbers deli-style.

I'll be at the EB games in the Union Rd. Plaza (Circuit City, Buca de beppo) at about 11 pm. I even took Tuesday off from work.

All that being said, Half-Life 2 may turn out to be the better overall game, considering the power of the graphics engine, the supposed quality of the single player experience (PC Gamer calls it the best game ever, and they usually get things right...) and of course the mods.

That doesn't take away from the fact that Halo 2 might be the game that really brings the on line FPS multiplayer experience to the masses and will likely be somewhat revolutionary for that.

According to EVERYONE that had the chance to play Halo 2 multiplayer, it is nothing short of spectacular.

See you online Tuesday morning at about 12:15 am!

Any console game, including Halo 2 with all its hype, cant compare to a PC game. XBox is ancient technology compared to a GeForce6800 or ATI 800 equiped computer. Screen resolution alone is enough reason for Halo 2 to be inferior to Half Life 2. This is a no brainer. Half Life 2 by a huge margain.

I have to disagree with you Mike.  I'm an origanl Doom player over Lans.  Halo is by far the best FPS shooter  I've ever played.

104123[/snapback]

Wow really? Have you ever played Unreal Tournament 2K4 or Ravenshield? I havent seen anything close to UT as far as instant gratification run and gun shooting. And Ravenshiled is a fantastic tactical shooter. Both have far superior eye candy as well.

He wouldn't be trying to pull a sales ploy on ya now would he???? :P

103876[/snapback]

Nope. I reserved my copy from him several weeks beforehand.

Last week I stopped by to see if any new titles looked interesting and I asked him if the reserves/pre-orders had slowed down at all, and his answer was their initial shipment had already been completely reserved, and that he expected it to be a tough title to get your hands on for awhile after release.

Besides, I'm an xbox geek, and they know I spend entirely too much money in there to try and "sell" me. I guess I'm kinda a regular there -They're more prone to talk me out of games that they don't think I'll like than push BS on me.