Bills Defense Should Take a Step Up

Bills defense should be better than last year. We now have Maybin a pass rusher and Schobel is back. Stroud will play better with a new contract with incentives and McCargo has a new lease on life at DT. Kelsay, Denney and Johnson are all experienced. We will find out if Ellis has the heart to play. He has the ability but ....... The D-line looks to me as if it is stronger than last year.

The Linebackers with Ellison, Posluszny and Mitchell are average at best. DiGregorio is back from his injury and is a good backup at all three positions. I do not know about Thomas but he must have some ability for the Bills signed him. We have a couple of rookies from this year and last year along with a couple of special team LBs to choose from. This crew is just average at best. They have their good games and bad. At least the D-line looks to be stronger so the LB's may also look good.

The CB's could be great with McGee and McKelvin starting. McKelvin stunk in the beginning of the season last year. He got better with experience and showed great flashes of talent. He needs to keep improving and be the shut down CB he was drafted to be. Good depth with Youboty, Florence and Corner. All players with talent.

The Safeties look to be better this season. With a healthy Whitner at SS and Bryd at Free safety the starters look to be strong and you have to like Scott as a back up at SS. Wilson is a fair FS but excellent on special teams... That leaves Wendling, because he is really good on special teams...

Over all I see the Defense improving to maybe 10th to 12th best.

Special teams will again be right on top of the heap with Coach April leading the charge. He would make a great head coach if given the chance. Last year he lost a lot of special talent. The front office brought in several young players to replace them. This kept the salary cap down. Special Teams started slowly as you will remember but again finished as one of the best or the best in the league. I do not have the final standings. Maybe some one has the site for verification.

The Bills Special Teams and the Defense should improve.

Guest dog14787
Bills defense should be better than last year. We now have Maybin a pass rusher and Schobel is back. Stroud will play better with a new contract with incentives and McCargo has a new lease on life at DT. Kelsay, Denney and Johnson are all experienced. We will find out if Ellis has the heart to play. He has the ability but ....... The D-line looks to me as if it is stronger than last year.

The Linebackers with Ellison, Posluszny and Mitchell are average at best. DiGregorio is back from his injury and is a good backup at all three positions. I do not know about Thomas but he must have some ability for the Bills signed him. We have a couple of rookies from this year and last year along with a couple of special team LBs to choose from. This crew is just average at best. They have their good games and bad. At least the D-line looks to be stronger so the LB's may also look good.

The CB's could be great with McGee and McKelvin starting. McKelvin stunk in the beginning of the season last year. He got better with experience and showed great flashes of talent. He needs to keep improving and be the shut down CB he was drafted to be. Good depth with Youboty, Florence and Corner. All players with talent.

The Safeties look to be better this season. With a healthy Whitner at SS and Bryd at Free safety the starters look to be strong and you have to like Scott as a back up at SS. Wilson is a fair FS but excellent on special teams... That leaves Wendling, because he is really good on special teams...

Special teams will again be right on top of the heap with Coach April leading the charge. He would make a great head coach if given the chance. Last year he lost a lot of special talent. The front office brought in several young players to replace them. This kept the salary cap down. Special Teams started slowly as you will remember but again finished as one of the best or the best in the league. I do not have the final standings. Maybe some one has the site for verification.

We have the potential to break the top ten in my opinion. :rolleyes:

Our rookie corner turned free safety is strong?

Whitner's best play of the year was when he ran down Johnnie Lee Higgins in the Raiders game. Which went for a touchdown, i might add.

I hope that the linebacker (Bowen) that the Bills drafted last year can come along and be an impact on defense?

Hmmmmm:

DiGiorgio is currently in the process of becoming a teacher at Saginaw Valley, stating that "(NFL) stands for 'Not For Long' -- instead of the National Football League -- because careers don't last long in the NFL. John DiGiorgio is working on earning his teaching certification, and is currently a student teacher at Siebert Elementary School in Midland. DiGiorgio, a former All-American at Saginaw Valley State University, helps out Bob Wellman in his physical education classes. "[2]. During the 2008 off-season, DiGiorgio began to student-teach physical education at Siebert Elementary in Midland, Michigan[3].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_DiGiorgio

Kenwick, did you consider that with our potent, high octane, and no huddle offense that our defense might actually give up more yards (and rank lower) because of using prevent defense in the 4th quarter?

Agreed that getting Schobel back and having Maybin in there should improve things against the pass. Not sure about the analysis regarding the rest of the players.

A big problem last year was getting off of the field in the 4th quarter facing the other team's run the clock offense. I think the solution to that is bigger, badder, faster LB corps and another stud DT. Of course they could avoid that altogether by having a lead in the 4th quarter.

Did McCargo ever get his back fixed??

Yes McCargo got his back fixed and from what I hear he has been working out all winter at One Bills Drive. He is much happier now that the former defensive line coach is now gone. The new defensive line coach and McCargo are getting along very well. It is still to be proven if he can come back strong from surgery. That is what the summer camp is for.

Tom Modrak feels that McCargo still has the heart to play. They were not to sure of that last year. But who can play with a huge bump on your spine? The Colts didn't think so when the Bills tried to trade McCargo to them. McCargo could not pass the physical of the Colts so he came back to the Bills where the old defensive line coach threw him in there to play anyway. Finally near the end of the season he had to have a opperation. Time will tell if he is back good enough to play. I think the Bills believe so or they would have drafted a DT or would have been bringing in free agents early on. They still might if they believe McCargo can not come back healthy.

Yes McCargo got his back fixed and from what I hear he has been working out all winter at One Bills Drive. He is much happier now that the former defensive line coach is now gone. The new defensive line coach and McCargo are getting along very well. It is still to be proven if he can come back strong from surgery. That is what the summer camp is for.

Tom Modrak feels that McCargo still has the heart to play. They were not to sure of that last year. But who can play with a huge bump on your spine? The Colts didn't think so when the Bills tried to trade McCargo to them. McCargo could not pass the physical of the Colts so he came back to the Bills where the old defensive line coach threw him in there to play anyway. Finally near the end of the season he had to have a opperation. Time will tell if he is back good enough to play. I think the Bills believe so or they would have drafted a DT or would have been bringing in free agents early on. They still might if they believe McCargo can not come back healthy.

Cool man, thanks for the info. I'm glad he had the surgery, cause there have been a few moments where he really showed some promise. Hopefully he can turn those moments into series', and those series' into games. If he can contribute this year that would definitely go a long way toward making us better. I know Kavika and Poz would be very happy with a new and improved McCargo too!

Our Defense appears to have two weaknesses: DT, and OLB. We don't need the best OLB, since our guys are decent at coverage, and our corners and safeties can tackle. It's the DT that hurts the most. Getting the ball stuffed down your throat is no fun to watch, but, with Stroud we did improve some. I think if we had another top DT with Stroud, we'd have a top five Defense. Our secondary is great, and with a healthy Schoebel we can pressure the QB. It's just those small yardage runs that we can't stop, and those intermediate pass routes that killed us last year. We'll have to wait and see. As it is, I think our Defense will finish 8-12, improved from 14 last year.

I recently read that Simeon Rice wants back, and that he believes he still has everything - enough to be in the league leaders in sacks. I'm hoping we give the guy a shot.

Great Post. I gope the stay above 15...

I agree that another good DT could help put us over the top...would love to see McCargo become that guy but that's a huge question mark. Bringing someone in (like Henderson or whoever) would be huge, but even if they don't we still have the chance to be a top 10 defense. We were 14th overall last year and with guys coming back from injury, more experience for the young guys, a better offense (hopefully), and all the new additions, its in their reach.

And even if Ellison starts again this year (hopefully Harris or Thomas can step up), I would agree that our LBs as a group would be average, but our depth at LB will at least be greatly improved with DiGiorgio coming back and the new additions.

And Kenwick, yes, we were #1 in Special Teams last year

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...de.38f0fd2.html

The 7-9 Bills finished 25th in the NFL in offense and 14th in defense this season but first in special teams, according to rankings compiled annually by The Dallas Morning News.

I would be happy with top half....14-16. Then in 010 with 1 good draft pick and one good FA we should be top 10.

I'm really hoping to see an improvement out of Poz this year. Last year of course was his first coming off a major injury, and he played alright for a guy with so little experience. But the run defense really needs him to step up IMO. I'm looking for some more impact plays, like tackles behind the line. And hopefully he'll stop over-running the play and punish some ballcarriers. We need him to take care of business in the middle, and maybe become a bit of an emotional leader at some point. Its natural for the guy calling the plays to set the tone, and if he can raise his level of play, he can be that guy.