Moving to Buffalo (maybe)

30dive

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love East Aurora...I think...It think its the town we go through when we have driven to the Ralph from VA.  Really cool bar with great wings in the village circle...Do I have the right town?

Pretty far from Amherst...eh?

102357[/snapback]

30 minutes from Amherst--but I think you have the wrong town. None of my trips from VA would ever take me through East Aurora. But it is only 10 minutes from the stadium.

Eden.  Close to the stadium, and you have the cheese fatory and kazoo factory.  What else is there to ask for? 

Of course there is nothing else there.

102560[/snapback]

What do you mean--it has the Eden Corn Festival in late August.

Guest BrazilianScumbag

why not right by the campus? Back when my ma used to work at the very same UB Amherst Campus, we used to live right off of Sweet Home and Maple. It's a nice area, and the Sweet Home School District is very solid. It would be easily in walking distance to work, and much less of a pain than other places such as Eden, OP, etc. Also, growing up I lived right by the Kenmore/North Buffalo border off of Delaware and Tacoma Avenue, not a bad place to rent a suitable double if you're not looking for a house, and even though the public schools aren't good at all, you can send your kid to either KenWest, Ken East, or one of the various Catholic Schools in the area. I myself attended Cardinal O'Hara.

Taxes seem to be 2-5 times what they are in Richmond. You can get a lot more house depending on area. Realtor.com is a good tool and you can map each house and filter out areas you aren't interested. Also shows estimated annual taxes and has a mortage calculator.

Thanks all....I'm filing this thread....It appears houses are less expensive in Buffalo than in Richmond but the taxes bring it up a bit.  Thanks all, keep your ideas coming.

102494[/snapback]

The East side of Buffalo has some nice house bargains.  Try to find something near the former War Memorial Stadium.  Nice, quaint, ethnic area.  They even have a village area where all of the streets are named after fruits:  Orange, Lemon, Peach, Grape.

102968[/snapback]

Just ignore the hourly gunfire and house bonfires.

So here we go, my wife is interviewing for a Prof.. job at the University of Buffalo and things are looking pretty good, seems she would be at the Amherst Campus.  Question where should we look to live?  I grew up in Webster (Rochester) and would like to find a smaller village type community, i.e. like "old" Webster, Fairport, Hilton...I think you get the idea...We need good schools as we have two grade schoolers.  Ideas?

102343[/snapback]

Yeah, tell your wife to interview somewhere else, lol. Maybe UNC, Duke or UCF in Florida. Don't move to the Buffalo area, taxes will kill you!!

Seriously though, if you have to move there, Williamsville, Amherst or maybe out in CLarence are probably your best bets for schools. If not any of those, look even further east and tell her to deal with the drive everyday.

The area right around UB Amherst is fantastic. Housing off Millersport, French Rd. is very nice. East Amherst, Pendelton. Right next to the campus and still only 20 minutes from the Ralph. Win,win. PM me if you want more info.

102463[/snapback]

I agree, check out the areas just north of the campus, just over the line in Niagara county...i grew up in Pendleton, my parents still live there...its inexpensive, the land is beautiful, a lot fo space, plenty of neighbors...

Pendleton is in the Starpoint School district, one of the top schools in the county, its about a 15 min drive to UB (20-25 in the winter), and i can to get to almost any type of store/hang out place/entertainment place that i want in no more than 10-15 mins...