Peters for Nelson & Wood & Late 2010 Pick

Numark

So what are your thoughts on the trade now that it is all said and done.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- With only a late 2010 draft pick still outstanding, we can start to construct the parameters for a debate that likely will rage among Buffalo Bills fans for years.

The Bills traded Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters to the Philadelphia Eagles for the 28th and 121st selections this year and a sixth-rounder next year.

The Bills used the 28th pick on Louisville center Eric Wood, who they want to move to guard, and the 121st pick on Southern Miss tight end Shawn Nelson.

As long as they're Bills, what Wood and Nelson provide will be compared to Peters' performances.

"Certainly, from our standpoint, when you look at this list [of draft choices], we're really excited about it," Bills chief operating officer Russ Brandon said in his first public comments since trading Peters.

"Jason was an excellent player. Now it's time to move on. We've done that. Hopefully, it works out for both parties."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-7-155...-to-Peters.html

If we wanna woulda/coulda/shoulda into the past the Bills FO did a lousy job managing their employee whom they could have likely easily extended after his Pro Bowl nod in 07 for far less than the $10 million annually for 6 years the Bills delivered to Peters by trading him. The Bills were pennywise and poundfoolish in not tearing up his contract signed at an RT salary after he made the Pro Bowl as an LT (he deserved the first nod unlike the second) . Overall this is likely a disaster for the Bills as it has demonstrated to future FAs that the Bills will give a player what he wants if he simply throws a hissy fit.

I like the talent they draftedon the OL but overall it is unlikely these rookies will play like vets their rookie year and overall the Bills have pretty much surrendered for the 2008 season unless a lot of lightening strikes for us.

not good. not good at all.

It is depressing I have been trying to like another team but, I am stuck as a long time bills fan.

So it is nothing or the Russ and Dick show.

Terrible predicament many of us are in.

4-12 for 2009

So what are your thoughts on the trade now that it is all said and done.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-7-155...-to-Peters.html

From today's Buffalo News....

"It appears the Bills plan to move Langston Walker to left tackle and slide right guard Brad Butler to right tackle, where he was originally drafted to play. Rookies Eric Wood and Andy Levitre, the second picks in the first and second rounds, respectively, are slated to start at left and right guard with Geoff Hangartner at center. Kirk Chambers, Demetrius Bell, Jonathan Scott and Seth McKinney provide depth at guard and tackle."

So here is the bottom line with the Peters trade:

Peters gets replaced with Langston Walker at LT - big downgrade. (and pun intended too.)

Rookie Wood starts at guard - ?

Hangartner starts at center - Hopeful upgrade but I know nothing about this guy.

Rookie Levitre starts at guard - ?

Butler starts at RT - Hopeful wash compared to Walker, but quite possible slight downgrade due to inexperience.

Nelson - will NOT start, nor play every down at TE, due to the fact that he cannot block his way out of a phone book at the NFL level. He may catch a few passes, if Edwards has time to find him.

What's my point? I would still rather have Peters then Wood and Nelson. Just my opinion, but they don't grow Pro Bowl LT's on trees.

If we wanna woulda/coulda/shoulda into the past the Bills FO did a lousy job managing their employee whom they could have likely easily extended after his Pro Bowl nod in 07 for far less than the $10 million annually for 6 years the Bills delivered to Peters by trading him. The Bills were pennywise and poundfoolish in not tearing up his contract signed at an RT salary after he made the Pro Bowl as an LT (he deserved the first nod unlike the second) . Overall this is likely a disaster for the Bills as it has demonstrated to future FAs that the Bills will give a player what he wants if he simply throws a hissy fit.

I like the talent they draftedon the OL but overall it is unlikely these rookies will play like vets their rookie year and overall the Bills have pretty much surrendered for the 2008 season unless a lot of lightening strikes for us.

? :thumbsup: It's really about time to focus on 2009 anyway

:P

From today's Buffalo News....

"It appears the Bills plan to move Langston Walker to left tackle and slide right guard Brad Butler to right tackle, where he was originally drafted to play. Rookies Eric Wood and Andy Levitre, the second picks in the first and second rounds, respectively, are slated to start at left and right guard with Geoff Hangartner at center. Kirk Chambers, Demetrius Bell, Jonathan Scott and Seth McKinney provide depth at guard and tackle."

So here is the bottom line with the Peters trade:

Peters gets replaced with Langston Walker at LT - big downgrade. (and pun intended too.)

Rookie Wood starts at guard - ?

Hangartner starts at center - Hopeful upgrade but I know nothing about this guy.

Rookie Levitre starts at guard - ?

Butler starts at RT - Hopeful wash compared to Walker, but quite possible slight downgrade due to inexperience.

Nelson - will NOT start, nor play every down at TE, due to the fact that he cannot block his way out of a phone book at the NFL level. He may catch a few passes, if Edwards has time to find him.

What's my point? I would still rather have Peters then Wood and Nelson. Just my opinion, but they don't grow Pro Bowl LT's on trees.

I understand your point about the left tackle but the Bills just upgraded the interior of the o line. We finished 1-8 against the 3-4 defense. Our o line was not able to do anything against the big nt's. The Bills did nothing to resign our centers and cut one of our guards. They went out and signed 2 people who can play guard or center and drafted two more to address those positions. I think it's pretty clear where the bills felt they needed to upgrade to compete within the division. Given the poor performace of Peters last year and their confidence in their current ot's they believe these moves will make them better this year.

Peters for Nelson & Wood & Late 2010 Pick....AND the financial flexibility to go after guys like Henderson or Levi Jones, should the become available in a trade.

Having one player tie up so much of the cap is never a good option, unless his name is Brady or Manning...

Peters for Nelson & Wood & Late 2010 Pick....AND the financial flexibility to go after guys like Henderson or Levi Jones, should the become available in a trade.

Having one player tie up so much of the cap is never a good option, unless his name is Brady or Manning...

Evans costs 9 million. Stroud costs 8 million. They could easily afford it.

The real issue is going to be how they spend the money now or in the future that they didn't have to pay Peters. If they use it on a guy like Henderson or Levi Jones (if he is healthy) then the trade becomes exponentially better. They may use some of it to resign McGee. But if they don't really use it, or use it wisely, that element of the trade, which was really the core of the trade, becomes way worse.

not good. not good at all.

It is depressing I have been trying to like another team but, I am stuck as a long time bills fan.

So it is nothing or the Russ and Dick show.

Terrible predicament many of us are in.

4-12 for 2009

Why doncha find another team, zazie? Let's see, there's the Raiders, or the Browns, or...... well find one and quit complaining. :rolleyes:

Evans costs 9 million. Stroud costs 8 million. They could easily afford it.

The real issue is going to be how they spend the money now or in the future that they didn't have to pay Peters. If they use it on a guy like Henderson or Levi Jones (if he is healthy) then the trade becomes exponentially better. They may use some of it to resign McGee. But if they don't really use it, or use it wisely, that element of the trade, which was really the core of the trade, becomes way worse.

I agree with taking this fuller view of things. Whats the Bills have done is to some extent kick the can down the road in that the future plan MAY work out but it puts a lot of pressure on the coaches to find and develop the chemistry of this group to get performance out of them.

Looking back at the recent faux pas of overpaying Dockery for his his performance definitely, overpaying Walker for his performance (probably so far but he will get and actually deserves from a nice performance so far to actually earn his enormous salary in the LT role) and their failure to maintain a good relationship with Peters (IMHO he reacted like a jerk to the fact the Bills were paying him RT market rates for doing the LT job and were overpaying Dockery and Walker at the same time they were giving him less than the market rate since there was no market for him until the Bills caved and traded him so he could get his demands met).

The mistake people seem to want to make here is just because Peters was an idiot they want to claim the Bills FO is smart. Both were idiots when it comes down to this situation.