Who Do You Think Are Some Of The Most Underrated Guitar Players.

Steely Dan

Legend has it that Jimi Hendrix once said Billy Gibbons was his favorite gutarist (a band Gibbons was in once opened for Hendrix).

ZZ Top was absolutely my favorite band when I was young - they are the definition of a great rock band turned to a crappy cliche. Most of their popularity came when they had already sold out. If you want to hear real raw blues/rock listen to 'ZZ Top's First Album' - I bet half the people who know the band from their 'popular' era wouldn't even recognize it as the band. The irony is the liner notes from the first album go on about how the band is about pure, guitar-based gimmick-free rock and roll - and they are now most famous for crappy synth-infused songs and long beards :wallbash:

First album and Rio Grande Mud were terrific. Tres Hombres was also outstanding and actually had a little bit of commercial appeal. Still, it was of outrageous musical quality.

That's usually the tipping point for artists. How do they survive the crush of popularity and the ability to make a lot of money by selling out. ZZ Top fell as fast, and as far, as the worst of them. The stupid MTV videos, the horrible pop songs. Disgusting.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Neil Young was mentioned (wrongly, IMO...although I like him). But was Stephen Still mentioned? That mofo can play the guitar!

Also, has anyone heard the solo album from Jethro Tull guitarist, Martin Barre? I heard if for the first time today. That mofo can play:

I know Neil Young was mentioned (wrongly, IMO...although I like him). But was Stephen Still mentioned? That mofo can play the guitar!

Also, has anyone heard the solo album from Jethro Tull guitarist, Martin Barre? I heard if for the first time today. That mofo can play:

Can he strap a guitar on, all by himself?

Yeah, I think someone mentioned Stills. Good choice, IMO.

In case it hasn't been already mentioned:

Richard Thompson

Here's RT having a little fun:

Here's something a little more typical.

In case it hasn't been already mentioned:

Richard Thompson

Here's RT having a little fun:

Here's something a little more typical.

I've seen him live a couple times. He's an absolute monster once he gets into the meat of his shows.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned Leo Kottke.

I got to see him about 10 years ago and hew was absofrickinlutely amazing.

A few others who I don't think get their due credit:

Lee Ronaldo from Sonic Youth. Thurston gets the attention, but Lee's THE MAN!

Pete Townshend always gets written of as a power chord junkie. I think he had way more variety than he gets credit for.

I saw The Reverend Horton Heat get a mention, and yup, that guy is wicked good on his geetar. Fantastic live show.

I've seen him live a couple times. He's an absolute monster once he gets into the meat of his shows.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned Leo Kottke.

I got to see him about 10 years ago and hew was absofrickinlutely amazing.

A few others who I don't think get their due credit:

Lee Ronaldo from Sonic Youth. Thurston gets the attention, but Lee's THE MAN!

Pete Townshend always gets written of as a power chord junkie. I think he had way more variety than he gets credit for.

I saw The Reverend Horton Heat get a mention, and yup, that guy is wicked good on his geetar. Fantastic live show.

Kotke is a great guitarist. I don't know anyone that knows of him that thinks otherwise. But he isn't that well known, it seems.

Guest dog14787
First album and Rio Grande Mud were terrific. Tres Hombres was also outstanding and actually had a little bit of commercial appeal. Still, it was of outrageous musical quality.

That's usually the tipping point for artists. How do they survive the crush of popularity and the ability to make a lot of money by selling out. ZZ Top fell as fast, and as far, as the worst of them. The stupid MTV videos, the horrible pop songs. Disgusting.

ZZ Top is an awesome 3 man band, I like Fandango allot, great in concert. :pirate:

I always wondered what Lynard Skynard might have accomplished had they not lost Ronnie VanZant so early on, talk about talented, we will never know what could have been. I sing and song write myself (more for fun then anything) and Ronnie VanZant was a huge inspiration to me growing up, not that I can sing anything like him because I can't.

I can however sing Aqua Lung and Locomotive breath by Jethro Tull almost perfectly (easy to sing) and I also play and sing Stairway to Heaven really well so I've been told.

ZZ Top is an awesome 3 man band, I like Fandango allot, great in concert. :pirate:

I always wondered what Lynard Skynard might have accomplished had they not lost Ronnie VanZant so early on, talk about talented, we will never know what could have been. I sing and song write myself (more for fun then anything) and Ronnie VanZant was a huge inspiration to me growing up, not that I can sing anything like him because I can't.

I can however sing Aqua Lung and Locomotive breath by Jethro Tull almost perfectly (easy to sing) and I also play and sing Stairway to Heaven really well so I've been told.

I really like Skynard's first two albums. Great stuff. Then, they really got sort of ordinary for a couple of albums, and went pretty commercial for Street Survivors.

I think I saw them three times, in total. Twice when they were new and very good, and once when they really just went through the motions, IMO. They had become a pretty commercial band, by the time Ronnie died. I think they were headed in the same direction as ZZ Top.

I liked Ronnie, though. A big loss, IMO.

Guest dog14787
I really like Skynard's first two albums. Great stuff. Then, they really got sort of ordinary for a couple of albums, and went pretty commercial for Street Survivors.

I think I saw them three times, in total. Twice when they were new and very good, and once when they really just went through the motions, IMO. They had become a pretty commercial band, by the time Ronnie died. I think they were headed in the same direction as ZZ Top.

I liked Ronnie, though. A big loss, IMO.

Lucky you.

I seen him in Savanah, Ga playing with Nazareth and they really put on the best show I have ever seen.(Nazareth rocked also)Hair of the dog is one of my favorite songs. Geeesh, talk about one big party, there was no stopping the Wacky Tobbacky on that night, our group personally had a couple hundred doobie's rolled up, light one up pass it on and it was gone, didn't matter though becasue someone else was always handing you one : )

It was earlier on and I agree with you, as much as I liked Oh that smell, they were drifting away from their roots and the sound that originally made them so popular.

I loved that guy though, Ronnie could have continued to toss out hits for a long time, he was truly something special. :pirate:

Both from the local area here, Park Forest, Illinois:

Kim Thayil: Soundgarden

Berry Oakley (original bassist): Allman Brothers

Kinda cool how Park Forest could have pumped out two totally underrated and talented guitarists.

Damn you beating me to Kim Thayil! BEST band of the Grunge era was Soundgarden.

Speaking of 90's, Billy Corgan is a tremendous guitar player. People will never be satisified with his voice, and thats fine. But if you really, really listen to his work, there is some amazing guitar playing. Hummer or Here is No Why have 2 of the best Corgan guitar solos, FYI.

Also, to the power trio point: Someone posted Alex Lifeson from Rush. I totally agree. Andy Summers from The Police PIONEERED chorus on the guitar. But he gets overshadowed by the both equally amazing counterparts Sting/Copeland.

That'd be my list-Thayil, Corgan, Summers

Damn you beating me to Kim Thayil! BEST band of the Grunge era was Soundgarden.

Speaking of 90's, Billy Corgan is a tremendous guitar player. People will never be satisified with his voice, and thats fine. But if you really, really listen to his work, there is some amazing guitar playing. Hummer or Here is No Why have 2 of the best Corgan guitar solos, FYI.

Also, to the power trio point: Someone posted Alex Lifeson from Rush. I totally agree. Andy Summers from The Police PIONEERED chorus on the guitar. But he gets overshadowed by the both equally amazing counterparts Sting/Copeland.

That'd be my list-Thayil, Corgan, Summers

Mudhoney.

I was living in the NW when it exploded. Beyond a doubt, Mudhoney is as close to the base of that whole movement as you can get. Check out Superfuzz Bigmuff sometime. It's dang good rock by any standard, and it gave rise to the more 'radio-friendly' Nirvanas and Soungardens of the world.

Speaking of underrated guitarists, Steve Turner definitely deserves a huge nod.