Article: OT Group Overrated

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/43260222.html

I have to tell you, I'll still be nervous if we don't come out of the first round without an OT.

Sorry to be one of those guys, NYO, but who's on first? :angry:

So, you won't be nervous if we DO come out of the first round without an OT?

Just funnin' ya, man, I get what ya meant and I'm with you.

Not only is this not considered a good draft class for offensive tackles, making matters worse is that the success rate of drafting first round tackles is one of the lowest of any position. Defensive end, another Bills need also has a low success rate.

According to a nice study by John Paulsen in the Scores Report, only 13.4% of offensive tackles drafted in the first round between 1997-2006 became "Superstars" or "Stars" as judged by a player evaluation.

According to the Bill Barnwell study for Football Outsiders, only 14.1% of offensive tackles drafted in the first round between 1988-2005 made a Pro Bowl in their first four years.

In other words, only 1 out of every 7 tackles drafted in the first round become exceptional players. The remainder are average or below average.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/43260222.html

I have to tell you, I'll still be nervous if we don't come out of the first round without an OT.

Very good article.

In a typical draft at pick 11 we'd have ALL 4 OT on the board-considering their talent level.

This draft is the weakest I've seen in a very long time.

At this point I'm liking the idea of drafting Pettigrew and skipping out on OT until later.

We justcan't afford to take a boom or bust player like Smith or Oher IMHO.

Pettigrew WILL help the OL out immensely AND improve the passing game.

As far as the smallish receiving tight end types we have been clamoring for, our offensive line is a complete disaster and there is no way our tight end will not be needed to block, block and block. Pettigrew by all accounts is a beast in that area.

Also, as far as those smallish rookie tight ends, do you actually think Schonert will design plays to utilize one of them?

I mean he couldn't design plays for Lee Evans or Roscoe- I don't think a smallish rookie tight end will be utilized.

In a typical draft at pick 11 we'd have ALL 4 OT on the board-considering their talent level.

This draft is the weakest I've seen in a very long time.

Talent-wise, I have to disagree. ALl 4 of the OT's are immensely talented, but they all have their issues, a la Andre Smith's weight issues, and Michael Oher's learning disability. Don't remember the others at the moment, but you get the idea.

I would be happy with Alex Mack at 28 and top DE at 11. I honestly think the trade of Peters will be void of any benefit to us if we use our top pick to fill a newly created hole. I would rather see Pettigrew at 11 than Oher. I think the line needs to be addressed, but clearly (and the article reflects this) Mack is the best O-Lineman in the draft, I say you take him even if he is not a tackle.

couldn't agree more

I think sometimes a certain position is over valued. In 2003 defensive linemen were over valued. If you look at the draft many of them were busts, but people thought the players had to be drafted that high. I think with the success of players such as Jake Long, Ryan Clady and Jeff Otah last year people are over valueing OTs thinknig they will get similar value to last years OT crop.