Jason Peters trade and salary cap

bluenews

How does the Buffalo Bills salary cap change with the Jason Peters trade to Eagles?

+Extra "Rookie" Cap room to sign two #1 picks?

+Jason Peters' $3.4 million available to sign free agents?

-Cap hit due to bonus paid to Jason Peters?

Thanks!

Magox, care to help out with this one?

Peters signed a 5yr/$15M extension in '06. His bonus wasn't all that large so this isn't all that relevant, but the Bills will take a cap hit this year (I believe) in the amount pro-rated over this year and the same next. With bigger contracts it's easier to get stuck in salary cap hell this way.

in 2006 he signed a 5yr, 15 million deal. he had two years left on the deal. i believe his upfront signing bonus was $5million or $1 million per year for cap purposes. Therefore the Bills will be stuck with $2 million of so called dead money. Per cap rules a traded players bonus does NOT transfer to the new team. The remaining bonus money is "accelerated" in the current year of the old team.

Peters signed with philly for 6yr/$60 million. The #28th pick in the draft last year signed for 5yr/$11.25 million....for an annual savings of over $8 million per year to be used for another Free Agent. It's about managing the CAP folks. So the bills got Philly's #1 and a yet to be determined free agent.

Magox, care to help out with this one?

Peters signed a 5yr/$15M extension in '06. His bonus wasn't all that large so this isn't all that relevant, but the Bills will take a cap hit this year (I believe) in the amount pro-rated over this year and the same next. With bigger contracts it's easier to get stuck in salary cap hell this way.

There's all sorts of ways to interpret it

http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/20...ry_cap_page.php

http://www.billsdaily.com/frontoffice/salarycap.shtml

My guess is that it frees up approximately a couple million dollars. But more importantly the money that we had set aside to sign him will now be available for other players. You figure the Bills were offering some where in the ball park of $9 Million, so that leaves the Bills a little over $7 Million including the cap savings to go improve the team. I know people like to bash Russ Brandon a lot on this board, unfairly in my view, but my guess is he knows that he needs to make a move to keep the fan base happy and to improve the team.

I would suspect that there will be some more wheeling and dealing between now and draft day, and I don't mean just trading Roscoe, but other trades as well. <_<

How does the Buffalo Bills salary cap change with the Jason Peters trade to Eagles?

+Extra "Rookie" Cap room to sign two #1 picks?

+Jason Peters' $3.4 million available to sign free agents?

-Cap hit due to bonus paid to Jason Peters?

Thanks!

"Rookie cap" pool money is determined based off of total number of draft picks and draft position. I believe that it isn't determined until after the draft to take into account trades, etc. It doesn't meant a whole lot, because most teams have no trouble staying under their given rookie pool.

Rookie pools are determined after the draft is over. Each team is given a pool based upon no. of picks, what rds, and position within each rd.

Peters 2009 salary was $3.8 million after playing time and Pro Bowl incentives were added. His remaining amortization is $2.1 million (2009 & 2010). Due to the presence of an uncapped 2010, all remaining amortization is accelerated onto League Year of trade regardless of the date of trade. His cap number for 2009 was $4.9 million. Subtract the $2.1 million and you get a cap savings of $2.8 million minus the salary to make it "top 51" compliant. So, Bills saved approx. $2.4 million on 2009 cap ($3.85 million cash to cap)