Why the lovefest for Bush?

And the arrogance of the Democratic party in ignoring the importance of issues such as this to many voters in America's heartland (and even ridiculing those who feel strongly about it) is part of the reason your party lost badly last night.

Thus the hypocracy of conservatives; they want the government out of their personal lives, but are more than willing to get involved in other's who they disagree with.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thus the hypocracy of conservatives; they want the government out of their personal lives, but are more than willing to get involved in other's who they disagree with.

100055[/snapback]

Actually, I'd guess that most conservatives just want the government to leave their paychecks alone. Most of them probably assume that either party is pretty much going to keep its nose out of their personal lives.

KD - I still need a job because of this g*$damned president of ours!!!

Have any openings for a Twobillsdrive monitor?

99981[/snapback]

Hmmm....I got laid off from jobs in 1989, 1991, 1996, and 1999. Auto manufacturing, auto plant design, academia, and chemical manufacture. I can't think what a President did to cause that. '89 - operations moved to Mexico, and was offered process engineering management job - '91, company went belly up, was offered job in the PRC - '96, university lost environmental government contract, - '99, company consolidated and offered plant manager job to me if I would move from Cincy OH to Astabula, OH.

Can't think what a President did to me, especially since I declined to move.... :P

Hmmm....I got laid off from jobs in 1989, 1991, 1996, and 1999.  Auto manufacturing, auto plant design, academia, and chemical manufacture. I can't think what a President did to cause that. '89 - operations moved to Mexico, and was offered process engineering management job - '91, company went belly up, was offered job in the PRC - '96, university lost environmental government contract,  - '99, company consolidated and offered plant mangerer job to me if I would move from Cincy OH to Astabula, OH.

Can't think what a President did to me, especially since I declined to move.... :P

100080[/snapback]

Personal accountability.

It's all the rage.

The people in 11 states decided for themselves. Is that wrong?

I think it's wrong when some people decide to restrict the rights of others that has no adverse effect on their own lives. Especially those proposals like in Ohio that go beyond gay marriage and also prohibit civil unions.

I think it's wrong when some people decide to restrict the rights of others that has no adverse effect on their own lives.  Especially those proposals like in Ohio that go beyond gay marriage and also prohibit civil unions.

100085[/snapback]

The "no adverse affect" is an opinion, not a fact.

And the arrogance of the Democratic party in ignoring the importance of issues such as this to many voters in America's heartland (and even ridiculing those who feel strongly about it) is part of the reason your party lost badly last night.

100039[/snapback]

Don't be so naive! It was the Republicans who made an issue of this, as a (sucessful) attempt at dividing people on emotional (and in this case trivial) issues, and scare their core supporters to get out and vote. Why was gay marriage an issue in this election at all? Because the Republican party made it one....

Don't be so naive!  It was the Republicans who made an issue of this, as a (sucessful) attempt at dividing people on emotional (and in this case trivial) issues, and scare their core supporters to get out and vote.  Why was gay marriage an issue in this election at all?  Because the Republican party made it one....

100132[/snapback]

Yes, they are the ones who brought up the amendment, but that is not my point. The point I'm making is that the Democratic party in turn keeps insisting that this isn't a real issue to voters. In fact, for many, it is.

The point I'm making is that the Democratic party in turn keeps insisting that this isn't a real issue to voters.

They don't say it isn't an issue, they say that is shouldn't be a major issue because it doesn't adversely affect their own marriages. They've just been told that it does. We have a 50% divorce rate already. There's a group of people who want to get married, and they're the ones who are being denied.

I just do not understand this country we are in.....

99639[/snapback]

Before you attempt to understand the country we are in, understand and realize the WORLD we are in. Never before have we had to deal with terrorism of this magnitude. Never before has a president had to deal with or even ponder the fact of what has happened particularly 9/11. I think about my life and my safety first, then I worry about if I can get a job. :P

Before you attempt to understand the country we are in, understand and realize the WORLD we are in. Never before have we had to deal with terrorism of this magnitude. Never before has a president had to deal with or even ponder the fact of what has happened particularly 9/11. I think about my life and my safety first, then I worry about if I can get a job.  :P

100225[/snapback]

Thank You.

Were you trying to insult me? Or declare intellectual superiority?

Honestly?

You couldn't even bother to use proper capitilization or grammar, and you're saying I'm uneducated.

Hilarious. Well, at least you're confirming that most of the votes that went for Bush were from people barely able to operate at a functional level.

They don't say it isn't an issue, they say that is shouldn't be a major issue because it doesn't adversely affect their own marriages.  They've just been told that it does.  We have a 50% divorce rate already.  There's a group of people who want to get married, and they're the ones who are being denied.

100199[/snapback]

The problem with that whole argument is that you can't tell people what should and should not be important to them. Many conservatives, particularly religious conservatives, view it as conflicting with (or an outright attack against) their traditional beliefs and way of life. They already believe the erosion of these and other traditional beliefs and values has been contributing to the decline of our society. Whether anyone likes it or not, that makes it a very big issue with these voters.

Honestly?

You couldn't even bother to use proper capitilization or grammar, and you're saying I'm uneducated.

Hilarious. Well, at least you're confirming that most of the votes that went for Bush were from people barely able to operate at a functional level.

100260[/snapback]

LoL take your bitterness from a Kerry loss and walk.

Honestly?

100260[/snapback]

So let me get this right. Anybody who didn't vote like you did is an idiot?

Wow. You really ARE amazing, Grant.

The problem with that whole argument is that you can't tell people what should and should not be important to them. Many conservatives, particularly religious conservatives, view it as conflicting with (or an outright attack against) their traditional beliefs and way of life. They already believe the erosion of these and other traditional beliefs and values has been contributing to the decline of our society. Whether anyone likes it or not, that makes it a very big issue with these voters.

The problem with THAT argument, Brandon, is that you're saying that certain people's beliefs are more important than others.

Some people think gay marriage is a "sin". NOT EVERYONE believes that. Some people are tolerant!

Of course, if we decide to let the religious right rule our lives, all gay people would have to die (it's in the same book that the same people quote when arguing against gay marriage). Also, anyone that's ever had sex with their wife when she was on her period would have to die, according to the Bible.

In time, we will look back upon this period and shake our heads in embarassment and wonder why some people tried so hard to prevent people from loving each other.