How about a DT?

Diehard fan for years. My first post ever so be gentle on the newbie.......

We should draft a stud DT.

1) Each DT (Stroud and rookie) will enhance one another's playmaking ability by taking away double teams from the other.

This may increase the VALUE of our 11th pick to a 6th or 7th overall.

2) Opposing teams will not run on us (remember Ted and Pat?)

3) We'll run pressure right down the QB's throat like has been done to us for years, enhancing our DE's/Backers.

4) Defense will get off the field faster, allowing offense more time to hopefully score.

5) We'll win the field position/time of possession battle every time.

6) DT should make an impact very soon.

What do you think?

We should, but its a matter if Raji is there at 11. If he is, then we should take him. If he isn't, than there is no DT worthy of the 11th pick.

Well, that might be even more motivation to trade down. If the Bills think they can get the 2nd best DT on the board somewhere between 20-30, why not make a deal?

While I am all for drafting good D linemen I am not sure there is anyone I would consider for DT in the 20s. Who were you thinking of?

I've heard/seen great stuff from Peria Jerry, the DT from Ole Miss. He's supposed to be an excellent run stuffer. They say he needs to work on his football IQ a little bit, but DT is not a position with a very steep learning curve (and if he does have learning to do, who better than Stroud to mentor him?)

Some people have the Bucs taking Jerry at 19, but I personally think they end up with Freeman. Their QB situation is pretty desperate.

I wouldn't pick Raji unless he was there in the 3rd. Peria Jerry is a very good player. I'm not particularly fond of the DT class coming out this year.

Really? I find it hard to believe he'll make it outside of the top 10, nevermind the 3rd, what's wront with Raji?

While I am all for drafting good D linemen I am not sure there is anyone I would consider for DT in the 20s. Who were you thinking of?

His name is Peria Jerry and I would definitely consider him if we get enough picks to fill other voids in trading down. He won't make it past Indy though IMO. He is constantly blowing up whomever they put in front of him to get into the backfield. He also has an excellent closing burst for a guy his size. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQgnFw5fMaA

I wouldn't pick Raji unless he was there in the 3rd. Peria Jerry is a very good player. I'm not particularly fond of the DT class coming out this year.

Raji in the third? Yeah, maybe we can get Curry in the fourth and Crabtree in the fifth too.

Raji is going to be a very good one, and Jerry would fit our system and be very disruptive. The only question is whether we have other needs that trump DT. I'd be happy with either guy, though.

If Raji's there, we should take him. But we have so many needs, I think we can get away with not taking a DT this year. DE and OLB need to be addressed right away. So does TE on the offensive side of the ball.

I am still not sold on TE being the most desparate need on this team, and the crop of TEs coming out of this class only has one complete TE and he isn't worth a 1st round consideration.

With the exception of Maybin there are a lot of 2nd round DE talent in the draft. I think the smart move would be to nab Jerry or Raji, then pick up the best DE left at our slot in the 2nd. Another young stud DT next to Stroud will only make our edge rushers that much better.

If Raji's there, we should take him. But we have so many needs, I think we can get away with not taking a DT this year. DE and OLB need to be addressed right away. So does TE on the offensive side of the ball.

I wonder if the addition of Raji would make the two great white hopes better though?

Disregard that, I'm pretty sure that Kelsay would still suck if you put three pro-bowlers around him.

I still like Raji and I think the Bills would be dumb to pass on him, it would be too reminiscent of the Bills passing on Haloti Ngata three years ago to take Playmaker Whitner.

I am still not sold on TE being the most desparate need on this team, and the crop of TEs coming out of this class only has one complete TE and he isn't worth a 1st round consideration.

With the exception of Maybin there are a lot of 2nd round DE talent in the draft. I think the smart move would be to nab Jerry or Raji, then pick up the best DE left at our slot in the 2nd. Another young stud DT next to Stroud will only make our edge rushers that much better.

Truth be told, there really aren't any blue chippers at any of our need positions, expect OLB, where Curry figures to come off the board by pick three.

We need a pass rush, but Schobel coming back helps a lot. Also, our offense was 29th, while our defense was 14th, so despite TO on board, I still think that side of the ball needs to be addressed right away. If our offense can convert third downs, stay on the field with long drives and score points, our defense would look even better.

I think it's quite clear the FO is fully committed to surrounding Trent with weapons and will keep doing so. They believe (and so do I), that he is the future at QB and will give him every opportunity to succeed by giving him all the weapons he needs to run an efficient offense.

Pettigrew is a complete tight end who is, IMO, a perfect fit for our offense. He offers great blocking ability while having soft hands. We don't need this guy to stretch the field and run down the seam. We need a guy who can get open over the middle of the field, create mismatches, make tough catches, move the chains, occupy safeties, and provide a reliable underneath outlet to Trent.

I really think the Bills are gonna take Pettigrew. Maybe he isn't worth the 11th pick, depends who you ask, but if we like him, rate him high and he fills a need, how is it a reach? Would I like to move back a few spots, get an extra pick or two and still get our man? Sure. But trade downs aren't easy and are unlikey unless the draft unfolds in just the perfect way.

With the lack of a clear-cut number one DE and a fairly deep class, we can address the DE need with a second rounder.

Really? I find it hard to believe he'll make it outside of the top 10, nevermind the 3rd, what's wront with Raji?

Raji in the third? Yeah, maybe we can get Curry in the fourth and Crabtree in the fifth too.

Raji is going to be a very good one, and Jerry would fit our system and be very disruptive. The only question is whether we have other needs that trump DT. I'd be happy with either guy, though.

I'm not saying I think Raji will last until the 3rd round. I said I wouldn't take him unless he did.

Raji is a slob of a player, who's greatest ability lies in conning scouts and fans around the league into thinking he's a great player. He is unmotivated, takes games off, plays when he wants to, and shows up when he feels like it. Will he work out? I don't know, but I'm certainly not willing to give him $20 million guaranteed to find out. I'd pick him in the 3rd and no higher.

I think we have other needs to be filled in the early rounds. Imagine how much better our line would be with Everette Brown and Schoebel and Stroud... there'd be some pressure. I'd rather they take a large, immovable tackle in the later rounds, someone who would just clog the middle, and let Stroud and the ends rush the passer. I'm also curious to see, if Brown or another pass rushing DE is picked in the first, if they'd be willing to throw Kelsay or Denney in next to Stroud, as a DT, on obvious passing plays. That'd be reminiscent of the Giants approach to the Pat's in the Super Bowl, which I believe we have to emmulate this year to beat the Pats (pressure Brady to no end).

TBH, if we traded down, I would rather spent the pick on an OLB rather than a DT. This is how I look at it mathematically:

Any USC linebacker over Ellison= good upgrade from the start, and an even better uprgrade down the line. Ellison is a 70 overall, any of the USC linebackers (Maualuga, Cushing, Mathews) is 78-84 overall right from the start.

Peria Jerry over Kyle Williams= no difference from the start (Probably a negative start). Down the line Peria Jerry will be a good player, but as of right now, he wont be anything better than Kyle Williams. Look at Glen Dorsey from last year. Dorsey was a lot better of a prospect than Jerry, but Dorsey was shut down last year. DT have a tough time translating to the NFL. Kyle Williams, in my book is a solid 80 overall. He does his job well, and is far from spectacular. Peria would be a 75 overall from the start.

However, if Raji is there at 11, we should take him. I believe he will be the best player from this draft in 5 years. The guys is a monster, and can do everything you want in a DT. BJ, probably an 83 from the start, but will be a top DT in the league.

I'm not saying I think Raji will last until the 3rd round. I said I wouldn't take him unless he did.

Raji is a slob of a player, who's greatest ability lies in conning scouts and fans around the league into thinking he's a great player. He is unmotivated, takes games off, plays when he wants to, and shows up when he feels like it. Will he work out? I don't know, but I'm certainly not willing to give him $20 million guaranteed to find out. I'd pick him in the 3rd and no higher.

You seem to be the only person on the planet with this opinion :wacko:

Considering there are only 2 decent DT in this years draft in Raji and Jerry and both will be gone by the 20th pick in round one.

I'm not a big Raji fan or the fact that the Bills should even consider taking the guy with the 11th pick,if he has a fault it is that he cannot play every down and that he will need to be platooned. But then the Bills use a rotational system and he would certainly help keep Stroud and Williams fresh and might even take Williams job as starter,which is kinda why it makes no sense to take him when Williams has been playing well.

You seem to be the only person on the planet with this opinion :wacko:

Considering there are only 2 decent DT in this years draft in Raji and Jerry and both will be gone by the 20th pick in round one.

I'm not a big Raji fan or the fact that the Bills should even consider taking the guy with the 11th pick,if he has a fault it is that he cannot play every down and that he will need to be platooned. But then the Bills use a rotational system and he would certainly help keep Stroud and Williams fresh and might even take Williams job as starter,which is kinda why it makes no sense to take him when Williams has been playing well.

Not really. People know that, they just don't care. He's similar to Shaun Rogers. While he's a dominant player when he wants to be, that style is just not for me. I know Shaun Rogers is great, and I know Raji is great, but that's just not the kind of player I desire.