Is Dante a bust??

I have no idea how that relates to my question of 1billsfan.

It's my opinion, not assumption, that they were covering their asses for not drafting Ngata. Though McCargo was said to be a good fit as DT in the 4-3 defense, I think that they knew they'd catch some serious heat if they didn't get the last highly rated DT in the draft. I don't assume anything when it comes to the Bills' "braintrust" and their decision-making. I don't know what the real truth is, I can only make an opinion as to what I feel the real reasons were.

Now answer my question, was picking Owens a panic (panic as in this case a "we need to sell tickets") move?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't doubt that's why the Bills moved up. But, in 1billsfan's world it was to make up for not taking Ngata. Ngata was there, and if they wanted him, they would have taken him. i think they liked Whitner better, and thought McCargo fit their scheme better (everyone seems to forget there was a LOT of talk about Ngata being a 3-4 DT, as well as other issues, I believe), and moved up to get him, for the reasons you mention.

Whitner, given the state of the team, at that time, was probably a safer choice, and had less of a chance to be a bust. Given the versatility he has shown, by playing a multitude of defensive positions, Whitner has been the player the Bills thought they drafted. Because of the injuries, and lack of pass rush, the coaches have not used Whitner the way they probably intended (at least not to the fullest) when they drafted him, though.

Injuries, lack of pass rush, poor usage by coaches. Give me an f'n break with the excuse violins for Whitner. If the guy was all that then he'd have at least had a handful of great games out of the 42 he's started in by now.

It's my opinion, not assumption, that they were covering their asses for not drafting Ngata. Though McCargo was said to be a good fit as DT in the 4-3 defense, I think that they knew they'd catch some serious heat if they didn't get the last highly rated DT in the draft. I don't assume anything when it comes to the Bills' "braintrust" and their decision-making. I don't know what the real truth is, I can only make an opinion as to what I feel the real reasons were.

Now answer my question, was picking Owens a panic (panic as in this case a "we need to sell tickets") move?

Well, I'm sure the Bills had a plan going into the draft (even if you don't want to acknowledge it) and a DT was part of that plan. I doubt any "panic" or buyers remorse was in play. There is absolutely nothing to suggest it.

As for Owens: The Bills were looking at Coles and Galloway, as their answer to the short-term WR issue. Coles wanted MORE than what the Bills paid TO. So, do I think it was a panic move? Hell no, it may be the single most intelligent football move made by the Bills in a long time. I suppose you would have preferred 85-year old Joey Galloway, because he would have generated no buzz whatsoever (for good reason). And, it isn't just me who thinks so:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Featu.../nflist2402.htm

Which teams have helped themselves the most in free agency?...

1. Buffalo Bills — In most circumstances, the NFL’s 22nd-ranked passing offense signing a receiver who has averaged 81 catches and about 1,200 yards and a dozen scores since 2000 would be met with universal acclaim. But Terrell Owens is not your average go-to receiver, and it is no secret why he was on the market: The Cowboys, after imploding last season, decided that Owens was too polarizing a presence in their locker room. So the Bills’ addition of Owens, 35, is not without risk, and not without its detractors. However, our panel saw Owens as a risk worth taking in light of the Bills’ unique circumstances. The Bills have not made the postseason since 1999, and their offense’s distinct lack of punch was one of their downfalls last season. What’s more, the franchise’s future in Buffalo is a source of considerable speculation. Take all these factors into account, and you can understand why Owens interested the Bills so much. “Whether you like him or not, he makes plays,” one personnel man said. “He’s going to bring ticket sales, jersey sales, help them financially.” Said another panelist: “I think T.O. is really going to help Buffalo, to be honest with you.” The Bills also were praised for signing former Panthers C Geoff Hangartner.

Injuries, lack of pass rush, poor usage by coaches. Give me an f'n break with the excuse violins for Whitner. If the guy was all that then he'd have at least had a handful of great games out of the 42 he's started in by now.

Yes, why let reality and context get in the way of a good bashing, by a stupid fan.

I get it.

Yes, why let reality and context get in the way of a good bashing, by a stupid fan.

I get it.

Says the guy who said "only an idiot would judge a player by SportsCenter highlights" when it was clear to everyone that VJ91 was talking about Whitner's three years worth of few hard hits and not literally the lack of SportsCenter highlights.

As for Owens, it was clearly a panic move to sell tickets. Doesn't mean it was a bad move, I actually think it was a panic move that the Bills will benefit from. I don't think it came from their football intelligence though, they saw the opportunity to satisfy the fans' general outrage over Jauron being kept on as head coach and to help recoup the loss of ticket sales. This move would have been laughed at in season one, two and three of the Jauron era. Terrell Owens couldn't be any further from Jauron-ball if he was in another universe. It's clear they knew the fans had had their fill of Jauron. It's clear they were worried more about ticket sales then if Hardy or Johnson could in fact take over the #2 receiver duties. BTW, that's an opinion not an assumption.

I'd like to re-ask a question that no pro-Whitner has dared to answer.

If we cut him and his huge salary can someone tell me what we would lose defensively? Our team played just as good without him in the lineup. That's the definition of a non-factor, non-impact player. Those guys are worth maybe a $1 mil a year and no one pays any attention to them except when they screw up, and yet that's exactly the player Whitner is.

If our defense is not bolstered by his presence why is he even getting paid that money? For an example of how a very good player changes the game at safety look at Polamalu and Reed.

Who couldn't you say that about on the Bills' defense? They played just as well when McGee was out, when Schobel was out, when Crowell was out, when Simpson was out, when Poz. was out, etc. Bottom line is, the defense hasn't been very good for a few years now. You mention Polamalu and Reed as if they are only good players, they are the best two safeties in the NFL, that is like saying if your WR's arent as good as Jerry Rice then you have no chance. There are only so many of the truly great players to go around.

It's my understanding that, prior to the 2006 draft, the Bills had identified DT and SS as the two positions of biggest need. They concluded they would get better football players by taking an SS with their first pick and a DT with their second, rather than the other way around.

I don't see anything to indicate the front office panicked. But it's safe to say that they could have gotten better football players with both their first round picks, had they not been locked into the idea of taking a SS and a DT with their first two picks.