Dr Dirty John Valby

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahaha yes! cant wait for the sing alongs. i better brush up over the next few weeks. the gf is going to hate this...

:worthy: That's not a good sign.

I could use a good Valby show. He must come to Florida, once in a while.

Dude, Valby got huge.

EDIT: NSFW, as if that needs to be said about a Valby clip

:worthy: That's not a good sign.

I could use a good Valby show. He must come to Florida, once in a while.

Dude, Valby got huge.

EDIT: NSFW, as if that needs to be said about a Valby clip

if he comes to atlanta regularly, he MUST come to florida.

My high school class is immortalized on one of his records, I forget the lead in but it's ...from Penfield 1982, give 'em thirty virgins and they wouldn't know what to do. It's my brush with greatness. Even though I wasn't there.

:lol:

I know this is off topic but talking about high school, this year is my 30th reunion. Our graduation party was outdoors and there were 6 of us throwing the party. We each bought a half keg (18 being legal did wonders for our livers) and the group polished them all off. So proud it brings a tear to my eye. But anyway we had a stage set up and combined all our stereos into a monster system and had a banner over the stage with our motto "Party Until You Puke" on it. Cleaning up the next day there was a nice puddle of puke right below that sign. It will be very interesting to see how all those !@#$ers have changed over the years. Me? Not a bit. :worthy:

John Valby's nephew is a very good friend of mine. I have been to numerous Valby shows and hung out with John a few times, including once at John's house. He still lives in Buffalo (Amherst or Clarence to be exact). In the backyard of John's house, he has a psychdelic maze built out of wood, painted and with a wild light show. When we went over there, we all smoked, wandered through the maze and then smoked with John in the maze. We then proceeded to crack him up with his own material. Fun night.

Anyone ever been to the show?

Saw him in college in the early 1980s. Absolutely great show. Him and Dizzy Gillespie are only musical shows (of musicians that people on this board would recognize) I have seen live and Dizzy I got to meet and serve in person.

Saw him in college in the early 1980s. Absolutely great show. Him and Dizzy Gillespie are only musical shows (of musicians that people on this board would recognize) I have seen live and Dizzy I got to meet and serve in person.

I have to say, Mr. Host, that is one odd concert pairing. Both good choices, and both I never would never have guessed, for you.

You are full of surprises, Phunky Phantom. Outstanding!

I've never seen him live, but I have found a bunch of his stuff off the internet and he is one funny SOB. I love dirty comedy and this guy is right down filthy.

I think the vids, and the albums, are OK. But there is nothing quite like getting smashed with friends, and watching him live.

John Valby's nephew is a very good friend of mine. I have been to numerous Valby shows and hung out with John a few times, including once at John's house. He still lives in Buffalo (Amherst or Clarence to be exact). In the backyard of John's house, he has a psychdelic maze built out of wood, painted and with a wild light show. When we went over there, we all smoked, wandered through the maze and then smoked with John in the maze. We then proceeded to crack him up with his own material. Fun night.

I have absolutely no problem believing any part of that story. And the guy's also an amazing piano player, although I realize that's not exactly the reason most people go to his shows. :worthy:

I actually knew Barnacle Bill when we were in college. (Well, a Barnacle Bill, anyway. USN vet whose name was William, so the nickname was mandatory. He fit the part, though.)

I have to say, Mr. Host, that is one odd concert pairing. Both good choices, and both I never would never have guessed, for you.

You are full of surprises, Phunky Phantom. Outstanding!

Both played in Buffalo, Valby at UB and Dizzy in a little club in downtown Buffalo. The thing is I did not pay for either.

For Dr. Dirty I did some work for setup/cleanup and got a free pass.

For Dizzy the club owner's employees shopped at store I worked in and would call in orders; I was only person who ever bothered to put everything together, write a detailed list and total it from them so they could pay and run. I had to stand but after show when everyone swamped the bar I went to his table and asked him if he needed anything. Threaded crowd and brought him a pitcher of water. Owner told me I could have taken one of the mimographed sheets off the wall and gotten an autograph but I never thought about it. Imagine how much it would have been worth now.

you say this like going out to his maze and drinking/smoking/partying werent things us youth of the 90s did on a regular basis. :worthy:

lot of good memories partying out there until he'd come throw all the lights on and run us out.

a couple times he came back and hung out though, always fun. ah, the mammaries...

Both played in Buffalo, Valby at UB and Dizzy in a little club in downtown Buffalo. The thing is I did not pay for either.

For Dr. Dirty I did some work for setup/cleanup and got a free pass.

For Dizzy the club owner's employees shopped at store I worked in and would call in orders; I was only person who ever bothered to put everything together, write a detailed list and total it from them so they could pay and run. I had to stand but after show when everyone swamped the bar I went to his table and asked him if he needed anything. Threaded crowd and brought him a pitcher of water. Owner told me I could have taken one of the mimographed sheets off the wall and gotten an autograph but I never thought about it. Imagine how much it would have been worth now.

Was Dizzy at the Tralf?

I saw Dizzy once, too...but can't remember where, right now. Either Boston or Buffalo, I think. Might have been the Tralf.

Was Dizzy at the Tralf?

I saw Dizzy once, too...but can't remember where, right now. Either Boston or Buffalo, I think. Might have been the Tralf.

Do not remember name of club anymore but not the Tralf. It was on the west side and was a club since 1920s. Dizzy was scheduled to be in area on some other business and called up manager who he was old friends with wondering if he could turn his trip into a business trip. Manager told him no problem, he could sell out the club even in short notice which he did using almost no press and these mimographed sheets with picture of Dizzy playing the sax. You read right - the sax. Evidently Dizzy blew some sax as well as the trumpet according to the manager to relax.

Do not remember name of club anymore but not the Tralf. It was on the west side and was a club since 1920s. Dizzy was scheduled to be in area on some other business and called up manager who he was old friends with wondering if he could turn his trip into a business trip. Manager told him no problem, he could sell out the club even in short notice which he did using almost no press and these mimographed sheets with picture of Dizzy playing the sax. You read right - the sax. Evidently Dizzy blew some sax as well as the trumpet according to the manager to relax.

Here?

http://www.coloredmusiciansclub.org/history.html