Peter King's recent MMQB on overtime

How much opium was Pete doing when he thought of this plan? I swear I was starting to hear the beginning of Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" when I was reading this.

What happens if one of the defenses picks off a pass and runs it all the way, can his own offensive players block for him against the opponents defense?

When a game ends tied in regulation, play a 10 minute period, but each team can only have 6 players on the field.

If the OT period ends tied, you go to the second tie-breaking scenario. Each team gets to select three players who get the ball, one at a time, at midfield. The opposing team selects one player to play defense starting at the 35 yard line and try to keep him out of the end zone. Whichever team scores the most touchdowns in 3 attempts wins.

If this is still tied after three attempts for each team, you go to the third tie-breaking scenario. Same rules as the second, but it's counted one at a time. One scores, and one doesn't - game over.

Each player can only be used once until all players have been used.

It's so brilliant, I can't believe other sports haven't adopted a similar idea.

Sudden death overtime is just fine the way it is. If you don't like overtime then win the game in regulation. The college system is a joke!

Remember when the NFL got rid of instant replay and eventually realized that they should have just fixed it rather than ditched it?

The "lightning" round

Overtime IS statistically unfair but the college method, while exciting, could wreak havoc with TV coverage (early games overlapping late games, late games disrupting primetime broadcasts, etc). What's fair? Split the referees and each team starts with the ball on the opponent's 30. 3 downs for a 1st (no punts). First team to score wins. No first down in 3 tries? Then you have to hope your defense stops the opponent's offense. No Field goals. A turnover by your defense means your offense gets four downs to score a TD instead of three. No INTs or fumble returns for TD's. Broadcasters could split the screens or try to cover both on one screen (good luck). If neither team score a TD in the "lightning round" then coin flip and 10 minute overtime as is standard.

Refs would hate it. Fans would go NUTS. Talk about 'scoreboard watching". Each team would have to note the progress of the opponents at the other end of the field. If the other team get in the red zone, your own offense better get a little more urgent

My proposal does not take into account the advantage one team might have due to weather conditions (wind in particular).

-RichNJoisy

You did not mention the Buffalo Bills in this post. Kindly remove it from the "main board."

Thank you.

:rolleyes: