Bills get a mention on tonights Scrubs

Of course, most of us Bills fans realized that there might have been a flaw in the storyline....I am under the impression that the therapy needs to be administered soon after the incident...not hours or days later ...and after surgery.

Of course, most of us Bills fans realized that there might have been a flaw in the storyline....I am under the impression that the therapy needs to be administered soon after the incident...not hours or days later ...and after surgery.

That was my thought also. Reading a couple articles right now, I can't find anything specific that says it needs to be done quickly, but my conclusion in the case of the show, it probably would not have worked based on the time line. One article even implied that maybe the cold therapy helped, but was not the cure for KE, since by time his core temp had dropped, he was already done with surgery.

I am an ER MD, and shortly after the KE situation I had a patient with an acute spinal injury and inquired if we should implement core cooling therapy. The neurosurgeon declined----saying it mandated 24-48 hours of continued cooling, for as yet unclear benefits, and was therefore currently not standard of care. I work in a large community hospital in SC. It may be currently used in large academic centers (ie training/research hospitals), but I'm unsure.