Sign Peters or trade him before the draft

LGB

Here is hoping that we do not have to sit through another Peters hold-out. OBD should make their best offer before the draft and then move on. Him being out of camp and in playing shape with the rest of the OL - far outweighs any possible benefit from trying to get him to honor his contract.

Another repeat of last year - watching Peters trying to make up for lost time is not going to get us any closer to the Playoffs. If he does not want to play, move him before holdout #2 comes and decreases his value.

I truly think that the Bills are going to re-sign him to a contract that both parties can agree upon. For the sake of his career, and the Bills chances at making a run at the playoffs this year, he really needs to be in camp on time this year. I know that Peters # was around $11.5 mil per, but I think the Bills give him between $9-$10 mil, with about $25 mil guaranteed. I know he didn't have his best year last year, but he is the best option for this team.

Peters has already said he would not hold out this year. He would not do what he did last year but do it differently at this point. How is this hurting his career? I say that if he does not get a new contract he just plays this year and if he goes to another Pro-bowl he just tells the Bills he will not sign here when his contract runs out.

Peters has already said he would not hold out this year. He would not do what he did last year but do it differently at this point. How is this hurting his career? I say that if he does not get a new contract he just plays this year and if he goes to another Pro-bowl he just tells the Bills he will not sign here when his contract runs out.

So we franchise him.

Here is hoping that we do not have to sit through another Peters hold-out. OBD should make their best offer before the draft and then move on. Him being out of camp and in playing shape with the rest of the OL - far outweighs any possible benefit from trying to get him to honor his contract.

Another repeat of last year - watching Peters trying to make up for lost time is not going to get us any closer to the Playoffs. If he does not want to play, move him before holdout #2 comes and decreases his value.

They all ready made him a great offer..reports are around 8 mil a year. Not bad for a guy who was undrafted. He also has been restructured once before for 4.5 mil per year. I dont think he is worth more than 8 mil and I dont think the Bills brass thinks he is either. I would let him rot. We own him for 2 years and a third if we wanna tag him.

I truly think that the Bills are going to re-sign him to a contract that both parties can agree upon. For the sake of his career, and the Bills chances at making a run at the playoffs this year, he really needs to be in camp on time this year. I know that Peters # was around $11.5 mil per, but I think the Bills give him between $9-$10 mil, with about $25 mil guaranteed. I know he didn't have his best year last year, but he is the best option for this team.

Being 1 or 2 million apart on a deal does not seem like that big of a deal in today's world of pro sports. If the Bills wanted to get the deal done, you would think it would have been done by now - maybe by offering the difference in incentives.

What is hard to understand is here we have a good - if not great player in Peters and a deal has not been made, where players like Kelsey are given truckloads of money for little or no performance.

Maybe just offer these players big incentives to go along with some guaranteed money.

I agree, the holdout last year was such a distraction and a disruption for the offense. Moving Langston Walker back and forth from LT to RT, every player was being asked about it, the coaching staff didn't know if he was going to be there or not. Then when he did come back, for lack of a better term, he sucked. He was so out of football shape, that he had to be taken in and out of the first 3 or 4 games he played in, and he didn't play in the opener. Then when he did stay in, he was only a shell of the LT that he was in 2007, which I think has a direct connection to missing training camp. If he isn't going to be there on time and be motivated (if that is possible with him), I say get something for him and pass our problems onto someone else, kinda like the Cowboys did to us.

What difference does it make how he came into the league in regards to his value as a veteran?

It makes a difference as an indicator of whether the Bills are taking a longer-term team building approach to this situation or a shorter term dollars and cents based approach to this business.

From a business perspective, the past is of course relevant, but the real question is what is the contract we both agreed to and signed and what does it obligate both parties to do. Under this perspective the Bills made several great moves in:

1. attracting UDFA Peters here,

2. in making him a player when he could have jumped ship as a PS player if someone else signed him to play

3. in signing him to a longer term deal at RT $ and then moving him to the LT spot where he played well enough to make the Pro Bowl twice.

In this fiscal based view we both agreed to a series of contracts which paid him a ton more than he ever saw at any time in his life and we were smart enough to see that he could be developed into into a player who produced at an even higher level than we paid him. One can reduce the moral equation to simply being one that a player or the team simly must live up to their agreements which they entered freely.

However, there is also a legitimate perspective which goes beyond the simple AIG a contract is a contract point of view that also acknowledges:

1. Peters play has far exceeded the admittedly huge $ that we have been nice enough to give him. Hindsight being 20/20, it would have not been unreasonable with the production he has produced for Peters to have been drafted (and in fact drafted quite highly as an OL player rather than as a TE which actually was what got him noticed), nor unreasonable to not only extend his contract but to give him LT $ to play. However, we were smart enough to get Peters for less than that.

2. The Bills are already way ahead of the game having got two years of performance judged worthy by outside observers (who many feel were too charitable in their Peters assessment)of making the Pro Bowl at LT while we paid him RT money.

Under a pure fiscal view you are right that his past contracts make no difference.

However, here in the real world where these overly proud kids who are worldclass athletes are heavily influenced by their "friends" who point out that if there were a true free market where Peters was compensated each year for the skills he demonstrated the year before and the likelihood of him being similar this year, Peter would deserve and get far higher compensation.

The thing is that the NFL is pretty far from being a free market and it does not strike me as unreasonable that Peters is trying to take action to score big bucks while he can. Regrettable? Yep. Unreasonable? Nope.

The thing is that the NFL is pretty far from being a free market and it does not strike me as unreasonable that Peters is trying to take action to score big bucks while he can. Regrettable? Yep. Unreasonable? Nope.

Another Peter's holdout will hurt the team more than help if Peters is not in game shape. He should be paid what he is worth in my view and at least on par with someone who has contributed as much as him, but his 2008 effort did not appear to be at a very high level (being voted to the pro-bowl was questionable based on what we saw of him, but could help in a trade deal).

Why play musical chairs with the OL because of him again? Make an honest offer and a decision before the draft so you know what your needs are and can address it accordingly.