"The Largest Middle-Class Tax Increase in History"

You need to go back and see what Obama actually said during the campaign.

When sparring with McCain, he called it "the largest middle-class tax increase in history." But did he ever say he opposed it? Did he ever say he wouldn't impose it himself? No.

So he's not suggesting he may break a promise because what you thought you heard isn't what he really said. Plus, keep in mind, when a Republican suggests taxing health benefits, it represents the largest middle-middle class tax increase in history. When a Democrat does it, it's considered a progressive way to pay for the overhaul of the health care system. Forget the fact that the actual overhaul plan thus far consists of a bunch of doctors meeting with Obama to start thinking about an overhaul plan. That's not important.

What's important is that you understand he would not be breaking a promise here.

What's important is that my business gives our employees a Bentley of a health insurance plan that has increased in cost 20% each year for the last 5. There is NO CHANCE we can pass some increase in taxes to our employees (giving them a bill). There is no chance we will absorb some huge new tax (taking it out of the company after so many years of absorbing tax increases).

Unless this increase is in the 3% or less range, our employees will get less health insurance.

Idiocy.

You need to go back and see what Obama actually said during the campaign.

When sparring with McCain, he called it "the largest middle-class tax increase in history." But did he ever say he opposed it? Did he ever say he wouldn't impose it himself? No.

So he's not suggesting he may break a promise because what you thought you heard isn't what he really said. Plus, keep in mind, when a Republican suggests taxing health benefits, it represents the largest middle-middle class tax increase in history. When a Democrat does it, it's considered a progressive way to pay for the overhaul of the health care system. Forget the fact that the actual overhaul plan thus far consists of a bunch of doctors meeting with Obama to start thinking about an overhaul plan. That's not important.

What's important is that you understand he would not be breaking a promise here.

While technically not a "promise", denouncing something, and then turning around and saying, I'll let it pass if you guys want it seems a little insincere.

I just used "promise" because I wanted to use the frowny emote. :thumbsup:

But I think this idea is also very dangerous. I don't care which side comes up with or enacts the legislation.

What's important is that my business gives our employees a Bentley of a health insurance plan that has increased in cost 20% each year for the last 5. There is NO CHANCE we can pass some increase in taxes to our employees (giving them a bill). There is no chance we will absorb some huge new tax (taking it out of the company after so many years of absorbing tax increases).

Unless this increase is in the 3% or less range, our employees will get less health insurance.

Idiocy.

My company does the same thing. In fact, the handful of employees we have receive full health care coverage for them and their immediate families.

I think the idea here is to ultimately get us to drop our employee coverage altogether so everyone has to turn to the government plan. I'm not sure it'll be a bad thing because I remember during the campaign that Obama and Biden were promising the universal plan would provide the exact same benefits given to members of the Senate and Congress. Probably a good litmus test would be to follow the treatment Sen. Kennedy when he collapsed during the inauguration. I'd be curious to see how fast he was treated, what kind of room he got, whether he shared a room with someone, how much the visit cost him out of pocket...the kinds of things Americans see every day when they collapse from fatigue and get rushed to the hospital.

I know this is a different topic but I didn't want to start a new thread seeing it is about taxes. I don't know if this was brought up but if Obama does raise the capital gains tax on the wealthy this could cause a huge sell off by these so called rich people. What you'll find a lot of them doing is selling off to realize their losses. Some of those can be huge and they'll bank those losses to offset the gains they'll pay when the market does finally recover. Any thoughts on that?

I know this is a different topic but I didn't want to start a new thread seeing it is about taxes. I don't know if this was brought up but if Obama does raise the capital gains tax on the wealthy this could cause a huge sell off by these so called rich people. What you'll find a lot of them doing is selling off to realize their losses. Some of those can be huge and they'll bank those losses to offset the gains they'll pay when the market does finally recover. Any thoughts on that?

Ignore the market. Only the rich people have money in the market. Us middle class and poor are not affected by the fat cats money problems and wall street.

If?? You mean, when.

You're talking about the people that gave them the money with no oversight right? :beer:

What is done is done with the people that originally handed them the money. They can now correct their mistakes. I am talking about these greedy ass people at AIG. And really shouldn't we have seen this earlier? Maybe after their first retreat?

You're talking about the people that gave them the money with no oversight right? :beer:

Oh, no. They get a pass. They didn't do anything wrong, other than just hand taxpayer money over to AIG. I mean, they did their job. They can't be expected to hand over the money AND hold them accountable. These people are busy. Very busy. Bills to pass. Money to spend.

What is done is done with the people that originally handed them the money. They can now correct their mistakes. I am talking about these greedy ass people at AIG. And really shouldn't we have seen this earlier? Maybe after their first retreat?

What AIG retreat are you talking about?

First one was held min California, second was cancelled due to public outrage. Now I know, some people will say that was paid for by a subsidiary. I could care less about that. As CEO's of the parent company which is in trouble they should be putting a stop to all spending like that.

And here they are again, now looking at bonuses.