Relocating to Columbus Ohio

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived in German Village (not sure how anyone could go to Schmidt's more than once a year; German food is a real artery clogger).

Based on that assessment, I went to Schmidt's for lunch today. :unsure:

I've lived in Columbus since I graduated undergrad in '06. I really like living here. It's big enough in that there are plenty of great areas to eat, go out, shop, etc. At the same time, it's still small enough to get around town relatively easy (not like a Chicago, Houston, Etc.) I lived in an apartment in downtown Columbus for about 2 years in an area called the Brewery district. It's kind of adjacent to the German Village area many have mentioned. Lots of great places to eat there.

Almost a year ago my fiance and I moved to Bexley which is a suburb on the East side just a few miles from downtown. We are in our mid 20's and love the location because it's still close to downtown but has a suburban feel to it. Very nice neighborhood that is in between some less nice areas a few miles on each side. From what I understand the Bexley school system is very good and we live around the corner from the high school. Houses here are generally expensive but range from some "mansion" like houses on main street to your average houses tucked in the side streets.

As far as Bills bars, I used to go to the BW3's on South High street that somone mentioned in the thread (was walking distance at the time) and usually encountered a couple Bills fans. I have the ticket now so I watch at home but I know the official Bills backers bar is called Spoonz on Sawmill road. It's just off 270 on the North side of town. Owner is from Buffalo and very nice. Introduced himself and gave us a free shot that had aunt rosies loganberry in it the first time I came in. I watched a handful of games there and it was great to watch with a crowd of 30 or so Bills fans. Lots of Bills and Sabres stuff in the bar too.

Anyways, I've only lived here a few years but would be happy to answer any other questions I could. My fiance grew up in Westerville and like the others have mentioned it is a very nice area with lots to offer.

Ha!

You know what's a real nice place in German Village, but sort of expensive? Lindy's.

Man, I have fond memories of German Village. I took three weeks off before the bar exam, rode my bike to that Cup of Joe every day, camped out there and studied with a cup of coffee and piece of cake, came home and napped, and snuck in a re-run of Matlock. That was the life!!

I've only been to Lindy's once, but you're right, it's expensive! The food is very good though.

I work downtown so going to German Village for lunch is a snap.

Ha!

You know what's a real nice place in German Village, but sort of expensive? Lindy's.

Man, I have fond memories of German Village. I took three weeks off before the bar exam, rode my bike to that Cup of Joe every day, camped out there and studied with a cup of coffee and piece of cake, came home and napped, and snuck in a re-run of Matlock. That was the life!!

Another good "Schmidt's" kind of place is The Mohawk, about 2 blocks west.

Another good "Schmidt's" kind of place is The Mohawk, about 2 blocks west.

We used to go there for lunch ALL THE TIME but haven't been in years. At one point the quality of service and food went down and we stopped going. When we drove by at lunch today I wondered if it had rebounded. Have you been there recently? I really miss how good it used to be.

Only went there once; but it was very solid.

How about Thurman Grille? Is that still kicking around?

Yeah my time at that BW3'S would have been fall of 06 & 07. I just ate a Thurman burger Wednesday night! I assure you it's still going strong especially after some recent pub from a man vs. food episode. To answer your question yes Bexley is very nice but is expensive in general. We ended up here though a unique financial situation but we're very lucky and glad to be here.

As Aio said Mohawk is another great place in German Village. In the 2-3 years I've lived here, I have never been disappointed. Good friend of ours lives literally two doors down from it. Mother Mohawk sandwich is amazing! (roast beef topped with homemade chicken salad & horseradish mayo on the side). Also, Lindy's is probably our favorite restaurant in Cbus. It is expensive in general (esp. when you throw in drinks, salads, etc.) but they do have a number of things on the menu that are very reasonable. Also, even the more expensive entrees are around $30 so it's not completely outrageous. Nice for a special occasion.

We used to go there for lunch ALL THE TIME but haven't been in years. At one point the quality of service and food went down and we stopped going. When we drove by at lunch today I wondered if it had rebounded. Have you been there recently? I really miss how good it used to be.

I was there the first of the month before the Ron White show. Top notch.

Fellow wallers,

Each time the Navy transfers me I always get input from the kind folks that live in that area about that area. Today I am doing it again.

I will be relocating to Columbus the first week of June to take over the Navy Recruiting Office on the west side of Columbus. I am looking for some help on neighborhoods, schools(kids are 10 and 12), watering holes with Bills fans, etc etc.

I have spoken with a couple of people who tell me that Hilliard and Westerville are nice areas with great schools. Any other info I could get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

Steve

Oh yeah....and we will have Sahlen's natural casing hot dogs char grilled and Beef on Weck........not to mention some of the best wings in the area....jumbo size and always fried from fresh, never baked or frozen...

Oh yeah....and we will have Sahlen's natural casing hot dogs char grilled and Beef on Weck........not to mention some of the best wings in the area....jumbo size and always fried from fresh, never baked or frozen...

OK, so who is "we", in that post, and how do I get there? :(