Relocating to Columbus Ohio

Fellow wallers,

Each time the Navy transfers me I always get input from the kind folks that live in that area about that area. Today I am doing it again.

I will be relocating to Columbus the first week of June to take over the Navy Recruiting Office on the west side of Columbus. I am looking for some help on neighborhoods, schools(kids are 10 and 12), watering holes with Bills fans, etc etc.

I have spoken with a couple of people who tell me that Hilliard and Westerville are nice areas with great schools. Any other info I could get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

Steve

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked south of Columbus in Circleville for 6 months in 1996 ... went to Germantown in south Columbus quite a bit ... nice area ... there's a good german restaurant there called Schmidts ...

I will have to look into that one an give it a shot if its still there...Thx

I will have to look into that one an give it a shot if its still there...Thx

Schmidt's is still there; the area is known as German Village, it's just south of downtown.

I don't know much of Hilliard but Westerville is nice. We're in Gahanna and like it a lot. Both Westerville and Gahanna are in northeast Franklin County, Hilliard is northwest.

Feel free to PM me any specific questions, I'm happy to try to answer them.

Schmidt's is still there; the area is known as German Village, it's just south of downtown.

Cool ... I still dream about their vanilla custard puffs.

Is that bookstore still there too? I used to hang out there alot.

Cool ... I still dream about their vanilla custard puffs.

Is that bookstore still there too? I used to hang out there alot.

The Book Loft or something like that? It was still there last time I was down that way.

And the cream puffs at Schmidt's are legendary! Great place, great food.

The Book Loft or something like that? It was still there last time I was down that way.

And the cream puffs at Schmidt's are legendary! Great place, great food.

We loved the oom-pah-pah band ... especially when they played "name that tune".

We loved the oom-pah-pah band ... especially when they played "name that tune".

Nothing beats the oom-pah-pah band playing Christmas songs. Whether it's "Grandman Got Run Over By a Reindeer" or "Deck the Halls," THEY ALL SOUND THE SAME.

I don't know much of Hilliard but Westerville is nice. We're in Gahanna and like it a lot. Both Westerville and Gahanna are in northeast Franklin County, Hilliard is northwest.

Feel free to PM me any specific questions, I'm happy to try to answer them.

Gahanna is on my list as well. I am also looking at Pickerington and Grove City. Really the only info I have so far is what my new recruiters have told me and what I have seen on greatschools.net.

Gahanna is on my list as well. I am also looking at Pickerington and Grove City. Really the only info I have so far is what my new recruiters have told me and what I have seen on greatschools.net.

What kind of commute do you find "tolerable?" That was a determining factor when we moved to Gahanna from our old place that in Columbus.

What kind of commute do you find "tolerable?" That was a determining factor when we moved to Gahanna from our old place that in Columbus.

I drive 40 minutes each way now. would like to cut that down a bit but if it means better schools for the kids then I can do it again.

How far is westerville from the west side of Columbus?

Grove City might be your best bet. It's a southwest suburb. Gahanna is on the eastern side of C-bus and makes for a longer commute on 270.

The best suburb in the area is Dublin, and that is a rich town. That's where Muirfield Village is located (Jack Nicklaus' home golf course and the site of The Memorial every May).