TO + Mike Martz?

Mr. WEO

I can't believe this thread is still standing.

Amusement factor more than anything.

Martz's San Fran juggernaut beat Jauron with 195 yards of total offense -- 77 of those on the game's opening drive -- because the Bills managed to score just three points on four trips inside the 20. When you win despite never making it into the red zone after the 6:00 mark of the first quarter, "offensive domination" isn't normally the first thing that comes to mind.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martz's San Fran juggernaut beat Jauron with 195 yards of total offense -- 77 of those on the game's opening drive -- because the Bills managed to score just three points on four trips inside the 20. When you win despite never making it into the red zone after the 6:00 mark of the first quarter, "offensive domination" isn't normally the first thing that comes to mind.

LMAO! :thumbsup:

It has been amusing but like anything else it's becoming repetitive. Mr. Weo is like alot of us and likes to argue. I don't believe for a second he actually believes Martz would work in Buffalo. While his comparison to Shanahan was cute, he just brings up one off topic point after another. Bottom line is that Martz hasn't seen consistent success since 01. He has been given multiple chances since then and failed. In addition to failing since 01 he has burned bridge after bridge with his poor attitude. Those juggernaut Ram teams were loaded with talent. Every star member of the old Rams team has had big seasons without Martz, unfortunately Martz hasn't had one without them.

Guest dog14787
It has been amusing but like anything else it's becoming repetitive. Mr. Weo is like alot of us and likes to argue. I don't believe for a second he actually believes Martz would work in Buffalo. While his comparison to Shanahan was cute, he just brings up one off topic point after another. Bottom line is that Martz hasn't seen consistent success since 01. He has been given multiple chances since then and failed. In addition to failing since 01 he has burned bridge after bridge with his poor attitude. Those juggernaut Ram teams were loaded with talent. Every star member of the old Rams team has had big seasons without Martz, unfortunately Martz hasn't had one without them.

When you look at Mike Martz's career as a whole, you really have to wonder if Kurt Warner and his supporting cast had more to do with the Rams high offensive output than Mike Martz. I'm not saying Martz is not a very bright minded coach because I believe he is, but without a boatload full of talent, Martz has clearly struggled.

With all that being said I ask myself the question," would I like Mike Martz here in Buffalo as HC or OC?" you bet I would and my main reason why is highlighted. I'll explain myself further because I have complained allot about the Offense we use now here in Buffalo which originated from Mike Martz yet bears very little resemblance. To me, that's one of the problems, we are so far away from what Mike Martz's original intentions were, or how Martz has adjusted his offense to the here and now that we have ended up with a mess, but yet I have not heard any plans of changing anything.

So in my opinion Turk Shonert needs to go and the quickest way to get our offense back on track would be to Bring in Mike Martz in as OC or HC.

Sure we all like to argue. One off topic after another? If you say so!

He's been given multiple chances and failed?? Are there two worse teams he could have been summoned to? He was brought to those teams to do exactly as he was asked to---and did. He vastly improved those offenses with the few tools he was given. If none of you can acknowledge that chicken soup out of chicken sh**t in Detroit and SF, than I won't push further. The facts are as they are. I can't argue with your feelings or "observations".

If you are going to argue that DJ has not "been given multiples chances...and failed" and that the duo of DJ and Schonert are exactly what this team needs, than....bless you, I guess.

But after reading this thread, this is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusade

Guest dog14787
Man, that Martz can not only lead high-yardage low-scoring offensess (post-Rams), he can affect other teams' offenses as well! I was wrong, sign him up!

Something I've always took into consideration when forming a crew or group of people to accomplish something.

As in almost any business you build you are only going to be as as good as the men around you and under you and I believe the same can be said for Football Teams. Most of the more successful coaches have older, experienced, high Dollar players playing under them on an average across the board then some of the less successful teams in the league.

I realize this is not always the rule of thumb, but when judging coaches and this goes for Jauron also, you really have to look at the players he has been given to do his job with when in comparison to other coaches or when judging his career. Smaller Cities with smaller markets simple do not have the the same capabilities to buy there way into the playoffs like a bigger market team can.

To me, and this is just my opinion, I would rather have a coach that has taken a team to the Superbowl and won it once upon a time regardless of how poorly he has done lately over a coach that does well every year in the win/ loss column, but yet fails to bring home a championship or even come close.

Given the proper players and coaching staff Mike Martz can be very successful and he's proven it.

Something I've always took into consideration when forming a crew or group of people to accomplish something.

As in almost any business you build you are only going to be as as good as the men around you and under you and I believe the same can be said for Football Teams. Most of the more successful coaches have older, experienced, high Dollar players playing under them on an average across the board then some of the less successful teams in the league.

I realize this is not always the rule of thumb, but when judging coaches and this goes for Jauron also, you really have to look at the players he has been given to do his job with when in comparison to other coaches or when judging his career.

To me, and this is just my opinion, I would rather have a coach that has taken a team to the Superbowl and won it once upon a time regardless of how poorly he has done lately over a coach that does well every year in the win/ loss column, but yet fails to bring home a championship or even come close.

Given the proper players Mike Martz can be very successful and he's proven it.

Mike Martz was given the proper players as a head coach and didn't win the superbowl. Nice work Dog, your memory has failed you again. Perhaps you were thinking of another great coach who won it all, like Barry Switzer. Something you should consider when forming a post is proper research.

Guest dog14787
Mike Martz was given the proper players as a head coach and didn't win the superbowl. Nice work Dog, your memory has failed you again. Perhaps you were thinking of another great coach who won it all, like Barry Switzer. Something you should consider when forming a post is proper research.

:thumbsup: you got me, he was only OC that year so I stand corrected.

Guest dog14787
No biggie. I make plenty of errors myself.

Thanks for saying

Wouldn't you think though, Mike Martz as OC or HC for the Buffalo Bills makes us a better ball club than we are now especially with the addition of TO? It does give him allot of weapons again at his disposal again plus a very smart QB to handle Martz's more sophisticated offense.

Thanks for saying

Wouldn't you think though, Mike Martz as OC or HC for the Buffalo Bills makes us a better ball club than we are now especially with the addition of TO? It does give him allot of weapons again at his disposal again plus a very smart QB to handle Martz's more sophisticated offense.

I honestly don't think Buffalo is the place to run that offense week in and week out. I have reservations about TE ability to run a pass first offense. I think he could be a very good Qb but I'd like to see this team run first, despite the TO aquisition.

Actually, and as you were careful to underline, he simply said "coach", which was correct. Regardless, as HC he also took a team to the SB and lost in the biggest upset, at the time since Namath's Jets.

How do you see TO reacting to this new (they weren't so last year) "run first" offense the Bills are going to this season? Do you think he was brought here to open "up the running game"? To block? Do you think he understands this?

If the offense is not going to be centered on TO, TO will begin to ask "why is TO here"? I would ask this question now.

Actually, and as you were careful to underline, he simply said "coach", which was correct. Regardless, as HC he also took a team to the SB and lost in the biggest upset, at the time since Namath's Jets.

How do you see TO reacting to this new (they weren't so last year) "run first" offense the Bills are going to this season? Do you think he was brought here to open "up the running game"? To block? Do you think he understands this?

If the offense is not going to be centered on TO, TO will begin to ask "why is TO here"? I would ask this question now.

Yea, that's a resounding positive to have on your resume.

You go to absurd levels to make bad points WEO. I simply said I believe this team would be most effective, being a run first offense. You accidentally make a great point regarding TO. I think the threat he brings downfield, along with being one of the best blocking WRs in the game, will help running the ball quite a bit. I do think he understands how the two aspects of offense help eachother, if thats what your asking. As far as TO asking why TO is here, I can't make any predictions on that and neither can you. What you fail to understand is that a run first team can also do alot of damage through the air as well. If TO is getting the chance to do his thing and win I think he'll be just fine.

I think OCs are way overrated. Having talent on the field is much more important than the playcalling. TOs presence is going to make Schonert look like a genious (well maybe not) but wait to see if Arizona has a dropoff with Haley, the OC dejeur gone. For that matter did the Patriots dropoff when Charlie Weis left?

Guest dog14787
I think OCs are way overrated. Having talent on the field is much more important than the playcalling. TOs presence is going to make Schonert look like a genious (well maybe not) but wait to see if Arizona has a dropoff with Haley, the OC dejeur gone. For that matter did the Patriots dropoff when Charlie Weis left?

Turk Shonert is smart enough to realize the best thing he can do as an inexperienced OC is to worry more about how he can utilize his players to the best of their abilities and less about being a strategist, but when you go into the playoffs and beyond inexperience developing good strategies against high caliber opponents really starts to show because some of the coaching staffs out there are top notch and they will make you look bad.

Well they had a record-breaking offense in 2007, but the offense failed miserably in the SB. So the answer would seem to be "yes."

BTW, it's interesting to note that the Rams scored more PPG in 2006 (first year post-Martz) than they did in 2002, 2004, and 2005.

Yea, that's a resounding positive to have on your resume.

You go to absurd levels to make bad points WEO. I simply said I believe this team would be most effective, being a run first offense. You accidentally make a great point regarding TO. I think the threat he brings downfield, along with being one of the best blocking WRs in the game, will help running the ball quite a bit. I do think he understands how the two aspects of offense help eachother, if thats what your asking. As far as TO asking why TO is here, I can't make any predictions on that and neither can you. What you fail to understand is that a run first team can also do alot of damage through the air as well. If TO is getting the chance to do his thing and win I think he'll be just fine.

Martz's resume in St Louie is as it is. If going to multiple SBs and losing one or more is "bad", then how would you reassess HOFer Marv?

You understand my point, I think. You disagree of course, but saying a SB loss is a black mark on a coach's resume--you are being disingenuous.

I hope TO does all those things you say and you may be absolutely correct. I suspect he will not be satisfied with his involvement in the offense, based on his previous behavior. Trent is under even more pressure now. We will see what happens.

As for HAley and Weis, let's see how they would have vastly improved a bad offense with John Kitna instead of Brady and Warner.