If we draft a DE or LB in the first....

Virgil

I think the Bills go C in the second round. From what I read, there are 3 quality guys available and atleast one of them should be available in the second.

And I know that if you read my other posts that this will sound like a broken record, but I think that the Bills drafting Pettigrew is a huge mistake. The guy blocks well and has good hands, but no speed or route running ability. Basically, a younger Robert Royal. I would rather take my chances on someone later in the draft. Besides, with TO, I think we will see our need for a Tight End deminish and I still think Derek Fine will surprise us.

Broken records are OK. Broken records with huge mistakes are annoying.

You say that he's not fast. Right. You say that he has no route running ability. Um, seriously, that's just plain wrong. You can't find one pro or pundit to agree with you there. In fact, he is widely considered the best route runner of all the TEs this year and one of the best route runners of all pass catchers in this draft.

Just not true. Do your research.

I'm curious to know what you think would happen if either of these things happen:

1) Draft a DE - What happens to Ellis, Kelsay, or Denney. I know that a rotating defensive line is popular right now, but I can't see how the Bills could justify putting that much money into a line when everyone is splitting time. Kelsay is paid starting money, and you know a first round pick DE will make starting money also. In reality, I don't see anything happening since cutting Kelsay saves absolutely no money and Denney/Ellis don't make that much. Unless there is a trade that could happen, but I doubt it.

2) Draft a LB - I think we are pretty set with Mitchell and Poz. If we sign June or Peterson, does LB no longer get addressed in FA. Personally, I think what we do in FA will tell us exactly how our draft will go. If we sign either of those guys, then nothing.

Overall, I would love to see us trade down. If not, I've been so disheartened about this offseason until yesterday that I don't know who's really good in the draft, but I would like to see us go DT in the first. With Stroud getting double teamed all the time, another big guy in the middle can only free up more blitzes and ensure better looks for the ends.

Dropping Kelsay, if we want to do it, won't hurt financially. For the eight billionth time, teams that run on the cash to cap system don't need to worry about amortization of contracts. Teams on that system never go over the NFL cap, it is not even an issue. So you calculate purely by cash to cap, which boils down to how much the guy represents this year only.

Kelsay's bonus was counted entirely the year he signed his contract. In the cash to cap system, cutting anyone after the year they sign their contract doesn't cost the team anything, and it in fact saves them any roster bonuses due later that year (Kelsay doesn't have any roster bonuses this year, I believe), and also saves the entire value of their salary not yet paid that year.

Cutting Kelsay would be easily done, if they want to do it.

raji is more of a nose tackle.. I think Michael Johnson is the guy I would like to see, but maybe you can trade down for that. If not Maybin is good at 11

Raji played in a 4-3 in college, not a 3-4, and he is extremely quick. While he could play nose tackle, he would also be a terrific DT in a 4-3. A la Pat Williams.

Assuming we go OLB and LG in Free Agency (which we had better do!!) one scenario I wouldnt mind seeing in the draft is 1.DT Raji, 2. DE Ayers 3. TE Cook, Coffman, Casey (which ever lasts till the third round). Or if Orakpo or Brown are there at #11 and Raji is gone and we get the same FA's mentioned earlier Id like to see 1. DE Orakpo/Brown 2. DT Jerry (if available) or C Mack and still going TE in the third. There are soo many talented TE's this year I think we should wait till the third. As long as D line in addressed with our first pick I think we are on the right track. Centers are also deep and if Mack isnt available in the second one of the other 3 or 4 good ones will be, but maybe we could get them in the third and maybe look at Ingram TE from Florida who was supposed to be the best TE in the draft before he was injured, in the second round. Which ever way this draft goes we have alot of options, I just really hope we land a solid OLB and maybe trade for Waters LG from KC, or some how pick up another lineman in FA and go D line with our first pick and I will be happy.

Raji played in a 4-3 in college, not a 3-4, and he is extremely quick. While he could play nose tackle, he would also be a terrific DT in a 4-3. A la Pat Williams.

Thank you. You forgot to mention in your response that Maybin is not good at 11.

Assuming we go OLB and LG in Free Agency (which we had better do!!) one scenario I wouldnt mind seeing in the draft is 1.DT Raji, 2. DE Ayers 3. TE Cook, Coffman, Casey (which ever lasts till the third round). Or if Orakpo or Brown are there at #11 and Raji is gone and we get the same FA's mentioned earlier Id like to see 1. DE Orakpo/Brown 2. DT Jerry (if available) or C Mack and still going TE in the third. There are soo many talented TE's this year I think we should wait till the third. As long as D line in addressed with our first pick I think we are on the right track. Centers are also deep and if Mack isnt available in the second one of the other 3 or 4 good ones will be, but maybe we could get them in the third and maybe look at Ingram TE from Florida who was supposed to be the best TE in the draft before he was injured, in the second round. Which ever way this draft goes we have alot of options, I just really hope we land a solid OLB and maybe trade for Waters LG from KC, or some how pick up another lineman in FA and go D line with our first pick and I will be happy.

We don't need a C first day. We will not draft Mack any more than we'll draft Crabtree or Jenkins. Wait until the 2nd round to draft TE but not the third; it's not THAT deep, not if you want a day 1 starter.

I'm going to call the sleeper pick now:

Pick #1: Best DL available (Raji, Brown, Orakpo, Maybin)

Pick #2 (trade up to bottom 1st rnd, top of 2nd rnd): Duke Robinson

They need a guard to come in and start from day 1 and they aren't going to sign anyone, sicne they already have 5 guys on the o-line that are on their second contracts. You gotta have somebady on the cheap at that position.

I just saw that too about Denney. Still, I'd rather see Kelsay go in a trade. Just way too much money....

Yes, I'm sure his trade value is sky-high. Who wants Chris Kelsay? The Calgary Stampeders? Maybe we can throw in our equipment manageer to sweeten the pot...

I might be way on on this but I think Ellis is going to be average at best......you would think you would see SOMETHING out of a future player and I he looked to me like he was betting abused.....

Hope I am wrong......Kelsay showed more in his first year.

I wish you were wrong too. But you're not. Ellis had 3 tackles, 0 sacks in 7 games this year. Kelsay had 19 tackles and 0 sacks in 16 games his first season. The more things change...