I'm not sure if I'm psyched or pissed.

nodnarb

I'm so confused by this I probably won't know how I feel about it until we've played a few games.

This contract better have a "don't be a douchebag" clause.

Pros: He'll score touchdowns and sell tickets and allow Lee to score more touchdowns which will sell more tickets. The media will probably pay more attention to Buffalo.

Cons: He's a head case, a douchebag, and other unflattering things. And the media will probably pay more attention to Buffalo. Especially if he acts like a head case, douche bag, or other unflattering things.

What kind of influence will he have on guys like Lynch?

I'd like to know which guys in the Bills Org were for and which were against. I'd have been against, but I'm not on their payroll. I just hope they got a real sense from the players on this team that they would welcome him. Because that guy can destroy a team's chemistry single-handedly.

Owens a Bill? Creeeeeepy, man. I wonder if this is the Seventh Sign.

I'm so confused by this I probably won't know how I feel about it until we've played a few games.

Pros: He'll score touchdowns and sell tickets and allow Lee to score more touchdowns which will sell more tickets. The media will probably pay more attention to Buffalo.

Cons: He's a head case, a douchebag, and other unflattering things. And the media will probably pay more attention to Buffalo. Especially if he acts like a head case, douche bag, or other unflattering things.

I'd like to know which guys in the Bills Org were for and which were against. I'd have been against, but I'm not on their payroll. I just hope they got a real sense from the players on this team that they would welcome him. Because that guy can destroy a team's chemistry single-handedly.

Haha...I'm with you man...but really, you can't be anything but excited about this...Lee Evans has to be the happiest man alive today.

I right with you bud (former Left Overture)

I am not sure how to feel. T.O. has the talent to stretch defenses and make them defend the other half of the field, that will open things up for both him and Evans, but man the baggage.

I guess if wins don't put folks in the seats at the Ralph then maybe the T.O. circus will.

I can see him now whining after our first loss about Trent checking down to the underneith routes.

Something to ease your mind, our slated #2 guy last year had 8 catches 2 TD's and pulled a gun on his father. Owens with a cracked Fibula and suicidal tendencies is an immediate upgrade.

Having heard all the discussions ad nauseum after TO was cut by Dallas, one strong point made by some: TO is not a bad guy. He hasn't been arrested, suspended for off field issues, shot himself in the leg, etc. He's just a very immature guy with a "Me" attitude who has been a cancer in the lockerroom.

It is unfortunate that the Bills don't seem to have a coaching or player personality to somewhat keep TO in line. No Kelly , Smerlas or Talley. Dallas didn't have anyone either. Could use a Ray Lewis-type.

Also, not sure TO would be a Levy character guy.

The only thing I can add is I'm dumbfounded

I hate this guy, I was thrilled when he got cut the other day but I feared he would sign with New England. If you had given me 1000 to 1 odds on him signing with Buffalo, I would have saved the $2 and not placed the bet.

I get it but I don't get it!

The only thing I can add is I'm dumbfounded

I hate this guy, I was thrilled when he got cut the other day but I feared he would sign with New England. If you had given me 1000 to 1 odds on him signing with Buffalo, I would have saved the $2 and not placed the bet.

I get it but I don't get it!

yeah. the one thing i'll say though is this: at least this organization is trying. we'll see where this goes.

This is a bigger gamble than drafting McGahee, that's for sure.

This is an all-in bet. And it foretells further moves.

yeah. the one thing i'll say though is this: at least this organization is trying. we'll see where this goes.

This is a bigger gamble than drafting McGahee, that's for sure.

This is an all-in bet. And it foretells further moves.

It's not a big gamble at all. It's a one year contract and this organization has sucked for a decade. Low risk, high reward. That's exactly the "gamble" we should be making.

You should be psyched. Only idiots would be pissed or even ambivalent.

I'm stoked by this signing. Much better reciever than Coles for less money. Little risk,as it's only a one year deal. GREAT MOVE.

i agree, even if he causes the same old TO drama, he leaves next year and we lose nothing. like someone else said, this just might be his last chance in the NFL

I agree that this whole thing really is astonishing. I also agree that I would not have been in favor of this at almost any other time in this franchise's history.

But, (and this is amazing because I swear in the car this morning I was going to post these thoughts before I had any concept that we really would go after T.O.), I believe this is the right time for this franchise to begin thinking this way.

Let me explain what I mean and where these thoughts come from. Earlier this week I posted in a thread where someone had given up his seasons and compared the Bills to his favorite baseball team, the Pirates (in a negative way).

I am actually going to instead compare the Bills to my favorite baseball team, the San Diego Padres. Being a suffering Padres fan is nearly as bad as being a suffering Bills fan. But notice I say nearly. Why? Because even though I'm sure the impression out there is the Padres have as little success as the Bills, it's not true. [b]Did you know the Padres have made the playoffs three out of the last four years[/b]?!? (I count 2007 as in the playoffs because they were tied for the wildcard and played a playoff game to get in - they did "lose" to the Rockies, but since Matt Holliday never actually touched the plate...but I digress).

What's my point?

Well, my point is that the Padres are also a small market team that seemingly enters each year with no chance of making the playoffs, but often they do make it, or are least competitive. Compare this with our Bills, who have not made the playoffs, in, what, 11 years?

The difference between the Padres and Bills is that the Padres take risks on players that are past their prime, or have issues. Look at Greg Maddux being on the Padres the last few years. Though clearly past his prime, he helped make the team competitive. Sure, they were overpaying a guy past his prime, but it paid off in certain ways. Look at Milton Bradley, a noted headcase like T.O., who the Padres had in 2007. Sure, he ended up imploding as everyone expected, blowing up his knee while arguing with an umpire, but before that - he was the best hitter on the team for a while. And the whole reason the team got as far as the play-in game with the Rockies was because he was on the team.

This is all to say, I think signing Owens at this time is the right thing. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. If things implode, then they implode and he's gone next year. But this team was so irrelevant, so assured of losing, that the only way to get out of it in this small market mode is to take risks like this.

With the NFL headed to an uncapped year next year, I think we are going to see this more and more from the smaller market teams like our Bills, similar to what we see in baseball.

It's not a big gamble at all. It's a one year contract and this organization has sucked for a decade. Low risk, high reward. That's exactly the "gamble" we should be making.

You should be psyched. Only idiots would be pissed or even ambivalent.

I agree to a point. It's worth it to take a shot to improve the team and get them in the playoffs. It's only a one year deal, so if it doesn't work, you're not locked in long term to the guy. It should help to determine if Edwards is the guy at QB. He'll have a decent receiver set with Evans, Owens and Reed at WR and Lynch and Jackson for a solid running game. If he can't make it with these guys playing hard, the Bills should look in another direction. The only risk is that Owens ends up being a total a$$ on the field and a disruption to the development of Edwards. I hope that won't happen, but I don't think that Owens will give a damn about the success of the team, only about how many balls he catches. If the Bills are successful and Owens is only catching 4 balls a game, he's going to complain in the huddle, on the sidelines and be disruptive to the team. I'm not an Owens fan, but he's a better option than the other receivers the Bills have been looking at, even though he's in decline. He's a jerk, but I guess he's our jerk now.

I'm stoked by this signing. Much better reciever than Coles for less money. Little risk,as it's only a one year deal. GREAT MOVE.

And it's also not guaranteed, with no bonus, so they can cut ties with him at any time and it doesn't cost them anything..