a question about IR

ch19079

ok, i hear talk about placing players on IR. and how this will force them to be out the entire season.

so my question is, what good would come of this?? do we get an extra roster spot? does his cap hit not count? why do it at all, if it wont allow him to come back for the last few games????

It gets you back the roster spot, and the players salary (not signing bonus amortization) also does not count against your salary cap. If you do not believe the player will contribute during the season (ACL injury) you can still have the player participate in off field activities (film review, etc) just no on field practice for the season.

I believe their salaries DO count against the cap.  This is the reason that teams tries to leave a bit of spare cap room in case they need to sign someone else.

7341[/snapback]

Nope, IR players are out for the season and their salaries do NOT count against the cap for the season...

i say do what we did with willis last year...PUP list, and then he can practice aftyer we activate him in week 6...

PUP list just like Willis last year is what they will do.

7366[/snapback]

Too late. You have to put the player on the PUP list before training camp starts. I know because that was my first thought, so I looked up the rules.

IR is for the whole season.

Guest Answer Man

Losman can not be put on PUP list - he reported to camp in shape.

Unlike McGahee, who was never in football shape despite his agents lies, Losman passed the physical so can not be put on PUP list.

Let's assume JP is out the full 12 weeks. That would, conservatively, put him back at full practice around November 15th. That means there are still 7 games left. And depending on the Bills record/situation going into the last 3 weeks, JP could get in some playing time.

If they put him on IR, he can't practice with the team at all. If they leave him active, at lest he can be in on all of the meetings, film sessions and working out to some extent.

Also, Zolman is destined for the practice squad... so why not waive him anyway, put him on the practice squad and go with Bledsoe, Travis, and Losman on the roster. This way, at least if Bledsoe or Brown went down, they could pull Zolman from the practice squad because no other team is going to sign him to their active roster.

So I say don't put JP on the IR...

Let's assume JP is out the full 12 weeks.  That would, conservatively, put him back at full practice around November 15th.  That means there are still 7 games left.  And depending on the Bills record/situation going into the last 3 weeks, JP could get in some playing time.

If they put him on IR, he can't practice with the team at all.  If they leave him active, at lest he can be in on all of the meetings, film sessions and working out to some extent. 

Also, Zolman is destined for the practice squad... so why not waive him anyway, put him on the practice squad and go with Bledsoe, Travis, and Losman on the roster.  This way, at least if Bledsoe or Brown went down, they could pull Zolman from the practice squad because no other team is going to sign him to their active roster.

So I say don't put JP on the IR...

7414[/snapback]

If the 8-12 week timeframe for recovery is accurate, I agree, don't put him on IR. Best case scenario, he would be ready to practice by week 5 or 6.

If the 8-12 week timeframe for recovery is accurate, I agree, don't put him on IR.  Best case scenario, he would be ready to practice by week 5 or 6.

7456[/snapback]

Let's assume that prior to the JP injury, the Bills were going to make him the 3rd QB each week. If so, he would have counted against the 53 man roster and basically inactive each week. If this is the case, I would keep him active until he heals, so he can practice with the team this season. If he was destined to be the #2 guy, then we need to IR him, and get a backup QB since Wyche and Co do not think Travis is a suitable #2. Just a thought.