Jerry Sullivan

Drew026

What do you guys think of this guy? I've seen his name floating around here occasionally. I've started listening to WGR pretty frequently now cause I have about an hour an change to kill in between classes, and any time this guy comes on I say out loud how much of a jack @$$ he is. Today he was talking about Hangartner and how he is a backup and the Bills are doing bad job going after the high end guys.

IMO, this is a really weak free agent class. Even the top guys like Houshmandzadeh are not worth asking price. I can understand frustration about the Bills not adding players in terms of numbers, but ridiculing them for not getting the really good players seems unfair. There haven't been many players in this years free agent class where I've gotten upset that the Bills weren't able to land outside of a handful of guys. Hangartner got rave reviews from carolina media, and the fans of theirs seem to think he was a good player. At least the bulldog admits that he doesn't know much about the centers out there, but sullivan talks down on guys in that "know it all tone" when in fact Hangartner was a good sign for the Bills.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hated him when I first started reading his columns because he was all doom and gloom.

Then I realized he was right most of the time, and is now my favorite columnist.

He's paid to be the "bad guy" or devil's advocate on everything the Bills do, can't fault him for it.

I posted this last week on Sully.

"I've often felt Sullivan had a poor temperament as a sportswriter. He too often overreacts in both directions: He leads the coronations and he leads the lynch mobs.

A good solid sportswriter should be the voice of reason, a touchstone for his readers who overreact and who need a compass for direction and someone to provide perspective. Sully is not very good at this.

I also think he's a bit of a sh*t disturber too although I don't know if it's due to some unhappiness or bitterness.

It's possible that it's simply a function of the world we live in and that he feels he has to be provocative to help sell newspapers."

I would add that yes, he is critical but to a fault IMO.

And when things are going well he loses perspective and drinks the Kool Aid as much as anyone. He swings between extreme positions instead of holding down the center.

He sounds so angry & bitter whenever I hear him on WGR. I actually feel sorry for the guy.

He seems to rarely, if ever, have anything positive to say about the NBA, NHL, MLB or NFL. Maybe he'd be happier if he was working in a college town....

"I've often felt Sullivan had a poor temperament as a sportswriter. He too often overreacts in both directions: He leads the coronations and he leads the lynch mobs.

A good solid sportswriter should be the voice of reason, a touchstone for his readers who overreact and who need a compass for direction and someone to provide perspective. Sully is not very good at this.

I also think he's a bit of a sh*t disturber too although I don't know if it's due to some unhappiness or bitterness.

It's possible that it's simply a function of the world we live in and that he feels he has to be provocative to help sell newspapers."

And when things are going well he loses perspective and drinks the Kool Aid as much as anyone. He swings between extreme positions instead of holding down the center.

I saw that post. I agree. I appreciate that he isn't afriad to throw punches, but it loses its value when he doesn't balance it with other insightful comments. Saying the Bills aren't the greatest franchise going right now isn't terribly insightful... Sully would scream at his grandmother for napping at the family christmas party and tell everyone they should consider it an enormous slap in the face.

He seems like a smart guy and he isn't half bad as a writer, but he is the biggest know-it-all you'll find.

FWIW, he'd probably agree with that assessment ...

So in other words, he's a "Bi-Polar" style columnist. :thumbsup:

So in other words, he's a "Bi-Polar" style columnist. :thumbsup:

Which is honestly befitting of the city. When it comes to having Bi-Polar fans, you've got Philadelphia, Buffalo, and then everybody else. Sullivan has his schtick, and he turned that schtick into a popular column. I'm not the hugest fan, but I respect the niche that he's dug out for himself.

If he was a writer of a rival AFCE team newspaper he does a good job attempting to jab and stir up trouble. As a writer of a column in Buffalo he is a douche bag and perfect poster boy for the former Buffalo Bills fans who like to pretend to still be a Bills fan.

Jerry is the man! Tells it like it is folks.

Yup... And that's what i love about him and Bucky.. They tell it how it is. They get mad because they are not just writers,but fans as well. They want to see these teams go in the right direction and finally make the move that will be a difference maker. People are sick of seeing the same junk every year. We go after average players and average coaches and we wonder why people don't want to play here and why we have won ZEROOOOOOOOOO cups and super bowls.

Yup... And that's what i love about him and Bucky.. They tell it how it is. They get mad because they are not just writers,but fans as well. They want to see these teams go in the right direction and finally make the move that will be a difference maker. People are sick of seeing the same junk every year. We go after average players and average coaches and we wonder why people don't want to play here and why we have won ZEROOOOOOOOOO cups and super bowls.

No offense, but they're paid to NOT be fans.

No offense, but they're paid to NOT be fans.

Theoretically? Yes. Pragmatically? No. In a small market with just two teams that nearly EVERYBODY in the city cares deeply about, I believe the journalists are intrinsically allowed to take certain emotional liberties that larger market journalists would not. Case in point, Rick Jeanneret. He's the furthest thing away from unbiased, but folks who aren't Sabres fans don't listen to his broadcasts on a consistent basis, so it's not big deal. In New York City, Rangers fans, Islanders fans, and Devils fans all read the same paper. A columnist with an obvious pro-Islanders slant wouldn't be tolerated. At the Buffalo News, such a problem doesn't exist. Bills and Sabres fans take a ride on the emotional roller coaster every time a game is on tv, and when you flip open the News the next morning it's almost comforting to know that the guy talking about the team was on the same ride. Sullivan's usage of vapid pessimism is often distasteful to me, but he cares and I like that.

Just my humble opinion.