housh to seahawks

Also from a financial standpoint, Crabtree, if we were lucky enough for him to slip to us would be the cheapest starting quality receiver available to us.

McKelvin was chosen 11th and signed a 5 year $19.4 million dollar contract. With the slotting system adjusted for inflation, he would probably cost us a bit more than McKelvin but probably also less money and less guaranteed money than someone like Coles.

I'm not sure my argument was getting through to you. You seem to be hampering on my price tag issue. That was not the case. My whole argument is that if the Buffalo Bills, in their current situation, with their respective needs, waste our number top pick, I will go so far as to say we stand absolutely no chance of making the playoffs. None.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're living in an absolute dream world if you honestly believe that Curry will be available to the Bills at 11. He won't. You can take that to the bank...and it will be a minor miracle if Crabtree falls that far, workout or not.

I did not say Curry, Raji, or Crabtree WOULD fall to us but that there seems to be a consensus that these 3 will be very good NFL players and not potential reach like the DE, TE, or the QBs. If you can get a real talent at 11 you should get him and work it out over the next year. To match Crabtree with Evans makes WR a real position of strength. How many teams have 2 'shut down corners." It seemed to work for Arizona this year and the Colts (two #1s in Harrison and Wayne). As it was once said, "football is not about 11 offense players beating 11 defensive players. Football is 11 offensive players attacking ONE defensive weakness."

I'm not saying Crabtree or Curry will fall but if they do - grab talent.

Sorry. But you're just a fan. As I am, but I don't fall prey to fan tendencies...such as making up excuses to keep my Crabtree hopes alive. We don't need a WR. It's that simple.

We didn't need a runningback and we took Mcgahee, and we don't need a WR now. Little drafting mistakes like that hamper the future. Please, don't take a page out of the Detriot Lions dynasty and think aerial attack on this one.

Yes we are fans.

I disagree with you though. The strong consensus I've sensed on this board is that we don't need a depth receiver, we already have these.

We need a starting quality receiver and Coles is the last one available barring unforseen improvement by the journeymen types that are left.

So Crabtree, if we were lucky enough to have him fall to us would be the best player and probably the cheapest one available to fill the need for a starting wideout.

You need to have one running back to start.

You need to have two receivers to start.

I did not say Curry, Raji, or Crabtree WOULD fall to us but that there seems to be a consensus that these 3 will be very good NFL players and not potential reach like the DE, TE, or the QBs. If you can get a real talent at 11 you should get him and work it out over the next year. To match Crabtree with Evans makes WR a real position of strength. How many teams have 2 'shut down corners." It seemed to work for Arizona this year and the Colts (two #1s in Harrison and Wayne). As it was once said, "football is not about 11 offense players beating 11 defensive players. Football is 11 offensive players attacking ONE defensive weakness."

Agreed, best player available, especially at a position of need which I believe wide receiver is.

Yes we are fans.

I disagree with you though. The strong consensus I've sensed on this board is that we don't need a depth receiver, we already have these.

We need a starting quality receiver and Coles is the last one available barring unforseen improvement by the journeymen types that are left.

So Crabtree, if we were lucky enough to have him fall to us would be the best player and probably the cheapest one available to fill the need for a starting wideout.

You need to have one running back to start.

You need to have two receivers to start.

If we are Hell bent on getting a WR, we can try to trade back to the latter half of the first round and go after Hakeem Nicks.

I will go on record right now and say that he will be better than Maclin, Heyward Bey or Crabtree.

Mark my words

Sorry. But you're just a fan. As I am, but I don't fall prey to fan tendencies...such as making up excuses to keep my Crabtree hopes alive. We don't need a WR. It's that simple.

We didn't need a runningback and we took Mcgahee, and we don't need a WR now. Little drafting mistakes like that hamper the future. Please, don't take a page out of the Detriot Lions dynasty and think aerial attack on this one.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Have you not seen our offense? It's downright offensive. Aside from a 28 year old Lee Evans, our receiving corps is weak. Parrish who's inconsistent and is best in the return game. Hardy, who has size, but ran poor routes, played somewhat sparingly and is coming off a knee injury. (Will he even be ready to play next year?) Reed who's been average at best. And Steve Johnson?? I liked what I saw from Johnson, but he had a total of 10 receptions.

Crabtree is one of the best players in the draft. There's no way he slides to us, but if he somehow does he better be wearing a Bills uni.

On the upside - perhaps Seattle passes on Crabtree and he falls to us. That would give us another 'solid' choice along with Raji and Curry. Everyone else, outside of the OTs, are a bit more risky.

Your original post (above) certainly makes it seem as if you believe that at least Curry will be available @ 11. Hypothetically, if Curry and Crabtree were there...I'd grab either one of them (Curry first). I agree with you 100% there; however, as the saying goes, you can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which fills up first. :huh:

On the upside - perhaps Seattle passes on Crabtree and he falls to us. That would give us another 'solid' choice along with Raji and Curry. Everyone else, outside of the OTs, are a bit more risky.

I was thinking that Crabtree would fall to Cincinnati, and another OT would fall.

I just ran a DraftTek simulation with Seattle out of the running for a WR. It still shows Crabtree going to St. Louis and Seattle taking an OT.

Round Pick Team Selection Psn School CRI Delta ReachValue

1 1 Detroit Andre Smith OT Alabama P1 -3 Reach

1 2 St Louis Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech P1 +1 Value

1 3 Kansas City Aaron Curry OLB Wake Forest P3 +1 Value

1 4 Seattle Eugene Monroe OT Virginia P4R -1 Reach

1 5 Cleveland Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State P2 +2 Value

1 6 Cincinnati Michael Oher OT Mississippi P1 -3 Reach

1 7 Oakland Everette Brown DE Florida State P2 -3 Reach

1 8 Jacksonville Jason Smith OT Baylor P3 -3 Reach

1 9 Green Bay BJ Raji DT Boston College P1 +1 Value

1 10 San Francisco Brian Orakpo DE Texas P3 -2 Reach

1 11 Buffalo Brian Cushing OLB USC P3R -5 Reach

1 12 Denver Rey Maualuga ILB USC P2 -3 Reach

Breaking: Housh Headed To Seattle

Barring any last-second problems, free agent wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh will sign a multi-year contract with the Seattle Seahawks, according to sources close to the situation.

According to the source, the Seahawks have offered close to $2 million more than the closest competitor in the race for Houshmandzadeh’s services.

The contract is expected to be signed within the hour.

More on this story as it develops.

this is why i hate my favorite team. we're dicking around with a midget like coles when other teams are signing guys that will make a difference on their teams. maybe it will turn out the hawks overpaid, but do you think tightwad ralph ever even considered bringing him in? bills = eternal losers.

this is why i hate my favorite team. we're dicking around with a midget like coles when other teams are signing guys that will make a difference on their teams. maybe it will turn out the hawks overpaid, but do you think tightwad ralph ever even considered bringing him in? bills = eternal losers.

I'd have loved to see Housh come to the Bills. But not at any price.

Are you saying that regardless of cost you wanted to see us sign him?

I can't wait to see the numbers on his contract. Then we can have this discussion if you believe that there should be a ceiling on his cost.

I think we do need another reciever, just not another rookie receiver, we have enough receivers who may develop, have potential, etc. We need someone to come in who has experience and can produce immediately. Receiver is one of the, if not the toughest (along with CB) to adjust to the NFL from college, so drafting a WR is never close to a guarantee.

I think we do need another reciever, just not another rookie receiver, we have enough receivers who may develop, have potential, etc. We need someone to come in who has experience and can produce immediately. Receiver is one of the, if not the toughest (along with CB) to adjust to the NFL from college, so drafting a WR is never close to a guarantee.

All of what you say here is true. The question then becomes what are our objectives for next season? Are we building this team for the short term or the long term?

Crabtree certainly fills a need, although as a rookie he may or may not have a big season. Only four rookie wideouts had strong seasons last year, Eddie Royal, DeSean Jackson, Donnie Avery, and Jordy Nelson.

If you say he won't contribute heavily in 2009 then he really doesn't fill an immediate need. Where does that leave us next year in terms of making the playoffs? With our killer schedule we might not make them anyways.

If you anticipate him becoming an elite receiver in 2010 then that's different. He is considered one of the top 3-5 players in this draft.

If you're building for the long term you have to take him if he's there.

Finally there is that chance that he has a great year and is a heavy contributor as a rookie.

I know if I'm calling the shots on draft day, I'm picking him if he's there. But I understand totally what you're saying.

I would not be upset if we drafted a WR on Day2 every year from now on. Steve Johnson has some potential. You don't have to hit every year, but I think it's more of a crapshoot with WR's, so pick one up in the later rounds-- Quan Cosby, Patrick Turner, Aaron Kelly, Kenny McKinley, Darius Passmore.

I'd have loved to see Housh come to the Bills. But not at any price.

Are you saying that regardless of cost you wanted to see us sign him? I can't wait to see the numbers on his contract. Then we can have this discussion if you believe that there should be a ceiling on his cost.

Housh is a west coast guy and supposedly wanted to play closer to home. That's why he chose Seattle over Minnesota. Did he even visit an east coast team? I don't think the Bills would have had a snowball's chance in hell of signing him unless the money was outrageously more than anybody else. Cincy was probably the only 'east' team with a chance of landing him. Not really fair to criticize the Bills FO on this one, IMO.

I know football is a team game and all, but it's because Evans was the 33rd rated receiver in the NFL last year based on yards. It would be great to have a top 20 to pair with Evans.

Well......if he wasn't being double and triple-teamed.....and if he had a QB that could get him the ball he would be rated higher. :huh: