The Coles situation is starting to ...

damj

It looks like the guy would rather go to CIN than come to the Bills. How messed up is that? How screwed up do we have to be to look worse than CIN.

The Bills are in a bad place in terms of recruiting FA's. They don't offer a winning opportunity, they don't offer a great coaching staff, great players and it's not a glamorous place to play. Money would be the biggest reason to come to Buffalo, and the Bills are likely not be the high bidder for Coles or others. Add to that NY's nearly 7% state income tax rate which puts further pressure on what you have to pay a guy. Very little is tilting in the Bill's favor right now.

This is where Ralph is really missing the boat IMO. He's got to realize that Buffalo is at a disadvantage in more ways than just money. If you can't afford the top players, then you have to at least try to build the best front office and coaching staff that you can. That is where you spend some money. You get a return on that investment by picking the right players and developing them to be the best they can be and having a coach that knows how to win.

Just FYI, my "source" texted me this morning and said that Coles' agent has already started contract negotiations with the Bengals. He'll be a Bengal by tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

Just passing it along.

It's a fair possibility.

I know you've said that they will "overpay". That's counter to their history...last season, they let 3 starting FAs walk - DE Justin Smith, LB Landon Johnson, and S Madieu Williams. This year: starters WR Houshmanzedeh and G/T Andrews.

But yes - Coles may well get a good deal...injuries whacked their wr corps last season, as well as most everywhere else. 24 on IR, a league-leading 84 games lost from their starters. Only seven of the 22 starters were available for all 16 games, and only five started all 16.

One has to expect that Ocho Dinko will continue his pouty ways, blowing routes and short-arming.

It's a fair possibility.

I know you've said that they will "overpay". That's counter to their history...last season, they let 3 starting FAs walk - DE Justin Smith, LB Landon Johnson, and S Madieu Williams. This year: starters WR Houshmanzedeh and G/T Andrews.

But yes - Coles may well get a good deal...injuries whacked their wr corps last season, as well as most everywhere else. 24 on IR, a league-leading 84 games lost from their starters. Only seven of the 22 starters were available for all 16 games, and only five started all 16.

I can hardly believe how committed Cincy is to having a big-name WR across from Chad Johnson. They've had two great recievers for years, and its gotten them nowhere. Isn't it time to focus their resources elsewhere?

I can hardly believe how committed Cincy is to having a big-name WR across from Chad Johnson. They've had two great recievers for years, and its gotten them nowhere. Isn't it time to focus their resources elsewhere?

Like many an NFL team, they focus their resources on the taxpayer's money and the fan's wallet.