Just when you thought it couldn't get uglier...

Mickey

I think what we're seeing here is stuff that has ALWAYS gone on but until 2000 was unremarked and unreported. Suddenly it mattered.

That is NOT to say it's ok, it is not. But I think exposing the problem may be helpful in reducing it.

I heard a report on the radio this morning that one party has stated flat out that they intend to discourage as many of the oppostion party from voting as possible. That doesn't mean they intend to cheat of course, but there are other ways to discourage people from going to the polls, from implied intimidation through just making it a hassle. That bothers me on many levels.

How about Michael Moore's claim this weekend to fund thousands of "videographers" to take video shots of voters in Ohio and Florida? Is that "intimidation"? I can envision hired plants causing a ruckus to stage salutory video clips.

Looks likes a set-up and groundwork for after-election litigation....happy?

How about Michael Moore's claim this weekend to fund "videographers" to take video shots of voters in Ohio and Florida? Is that "intimidation"? I can envision hired plants causing a ruckus to stage salutory video clips.

Looks likes a set-up and groundwork for after-election litigation....happy?

95231[/snapback]

Yes I think it could be intimidating and no I'm not happy. I don't like it. And before you get too hyped up over post-election litigation remember there's a reason the case is named BUSH v. Gore. Mickey's a lawyer, he can probably explain it to you if you don't understand, and he may not even charge for the consult. :)

Yes I think it could be intimidating and no I'm not happy.  I don't like it.  And before you get too hyped up over post-election litigation remember there's a reason the case is named BUSH v. Gore.  Mickey's a lawyer, he can probably explain it to you if you don't understand, and he may not even charge for the consult. :D

95236[/snapback]

No way. I am not one of those lawyers who will represent someone who is obviously guilty as long as the price is right. :)

Seriously, I don't know what the goal of Moore is on this but there is a big difference between a documentary film maker filiming voters standing in line to vote than say a local employer filming them. I would guess that Moore is hoping to catch one of those volunteer poll watchers the Republicans have recruited wrongfully denying or otherwise interfering with someone's right to vote. At the same time, those watchers aren't there for their health. I don't see much difference in the poll watchers wanting to watch to see if things are fair and above board and Moore watching the watchers to see if things are fair and above board.

Who would Moore be intimidating? How does filming someone standing in line intimidate them? What Moore is likely looking for is poll watchers from the right engaging in any shenanigans. Voters have a right to vote. I don't know of any constitutionally protected right to poll watch. Poll watching is a dangerous road to go down for both parties. One could bring a polling station to a screeching halt simply by challenging each and every voter's registration, address, etc. Even though the challenges would not work, the slow down in defeating each challenge would prevent people from voting or lead to them going home rather than waiting in line.

Dirty trick calls to mislead voters are being made in Michigan.  The main allegation is against the Republicans but there is a report or two of incidents the other way.  When is someone going to go to jail over this stuff? :D

95201[/snapback]

I received a recorded message from the Democrat candidate running against the Republic incumbent for congress last week. The Dem's message was that incumbent wanted a national sales tax and wanted to implement the draft. Both charges are false.

On the other side, there is a race betweeen the former mayor of KC going against a lady who's husband is CEO of Cerner. I heard one of her ads this morning that was just flat out lying about her opponent. I watched part of her debate and really, she had no clue. If she gets elected, it's because she's a millionare.

But the best one is from the girlfriend of one of my son's cooworkers. She is liberal, by the way. She was handed a flyer that said," GWB wants your grandmother to get the flu and die." No kidding.

Yeah, they're all nasty. I remember in 2000 people were getting calls in during the primaries asking them if they knew that John McCain had a "mixed-race" child, the implication being that he had an affair with - horrors - a black woman.

Not that it matters to most of us but in the Carolinas it was a big deal. And it was not true - he and his wife have an adopted child I believe from Vietnam.

The easy way to make this stop is to be informed. Barry in KC is obviously informed so he knows to blow off this stuff. And when more people are informed and blow that stuff off, it will stop.

Yes I think it could be intimidating and no I'm not happy.  I don't like it.  And before you get too hyped up over post-election litigation remember there's a reason the case is named BUSH v. Gore.  Mickey's a lawyer, he can probably explain it to you if you don't understand, and he may not even charge for the consult. :D

95236[/snapback]

Don't be condescending, blzrul. It's not at all attractive.

I need not be a lawyer to understand the law. If I wanted to take a collegiate cake walk, I would have majored in law instead of chemistry...

" Barry in KC is obviously informed so he knows to blow off this stuff."

Aren't all Republicans well informed?

95474[/snapback]

Not necessarily. Bush still thinks denial is a river in Egypt :D:D:lol:

Just a little light-hearted humor.

Don't be condescending, blzrul. It's not at all attractive.

I need not be a lawyer to understand the law. If I wanted to take a collegiate cake walk, I would have majored in law instead of chemistry...

95456[/snapback]

I'm not trying to be condescending at all. You're just disappointed that I didn't take your bait. I don't support what Michael Moore is doing, period. In other words I agree with you.

And no, I'm not "happy" that he's doing it. Again, sorry to disappoint you. I'm sure you're not happy about some of the GOP dirty tricks, as in those armed police officers posted in Florida in predominantly poor, black precincts where people fear, not trust, police? But I can't do anything about either one, just hope that in the end justice will prevail.

And when one heaves a big sigh over potential election litigation, one has to remember who opened the election litigation Pandora's box in 2000. It may not be pleasant, but it's a fact - it's amazing how many people either don't understand that or have conveniently forgotten.

And when one heaves a big sigh over potential election litigation, one has to remember who opened the election litigation Pandora's box in 2000.  It may not be pleasant, but it's a fact - it's amazing how many people either don't understand that or have conveniently forgotten.

95542[/snapback]

Uh yeah, GORE did.

After all, he LOST the first count in Florida. I will never forget that.