Question on Kendall Simmons

The Big Cat

This guy is coming from Pittsburgh, right? He plays the interior, right?

Didn't Pittsburgh's interior line SUCK last year? I seem to remember Big Ben scrambling for his life (something he does quite well in the pocket) more often than not. We simply don't have a QB with the kind of pocket maneuvering Ben is capable of. Can someone enlighten me on this guy?

He also suffered a blown achillies. Did the interior of Pittsburgh's line suffer after this? Sorry if this has been hashed out elsewhere, threads run pretty deep these days and are often tangential, to say the least.

Didn't Pittsburgh's interior line SUCK last year? I seem to remember Big Ben scrambling for his life (something he does quite well in the pocket) more often than not. We simply don't have a QB with the kind of pocket maneuvering Ben is capable of. Can someone enlighten me on this guy?

He also suffered a blown achillies. Did the interior of Pittsburgh's line suffer after this? Sorry if this has been hashed out elsewhere, threads run pretty deep these days and are often tangential, to say the least.

I believe he went out with his injury week 1.

Talking with my Steeler friends here, Simmons is very soild.

Is a achilles recovery all that important for a Guard? I'd imagine that's not an uncommon o-lineman injury (e.g., guys rolling over the backs of your legs).

An Achilles tear for a lineman doesn't matter to me. Speed isn't something they need. They do put a lot of weight on their feet and unless it's repaired perfectly I can see another problem with it on such a huge guy. JMO

An Achilles tear for a lineman doesn't matter to me. Speed isn't something they need. They do put a lot of weight on their feet and unless it's repaired perfectly I can see another problem with it on such a huge guy. JMO

Agreed.

In a way, Simmons is exactly the type of player we should be targeting-- a veteran guard on some good lines who can be had at a good price due to injury. Sign him to a modest 2-3 year deal; and draft another interior lineman or two in the draft to transition in or sub in if Simmons isn't healthy.

Didn't Pittsburgh win the super bowl.

I know what you mean but they did well enough. Losing Faneca really hurt them too.

IF he is so damn good WHY would Pitt let him fly? The O-line in Pitt was horrible. It was talked about all season here in Pa. Big Ben was the biggest concern about getting killed behind this line. The D carried this team most of the year. Oh they could get money somehow if they really thought he was so good. :doh:

A few more facts on the subject.

Kendall Simmons was a first round pick of the Steelers (30th overall) in 2002.

He was injured in week four of last year.

Before his injury he had started 30 straight games for the Steelers.

He was cut two years into a 5 year $24 million dollar contract.

You'd have to ask the Steelers why they cut him but he was a 1st round pick and a fixture for them until his injury.

Scouts Inc. scouting report:

Comment: Simmons has an impressive set of tools including a thick, strong body and very good overall size for the position. Simmons' weight has fluctuated since joining the league and he is at his best when playing in the 310-pound range. Some of this fluctuation was due to his diabetic condition, which he seems to have under control at this point. He shows good power and strong hands. He is athletic enough to get to the second level effectively off combination blocks and is a good pulling guard, who operates well in space. However, he is too inconsistent, which is something that should have been corrected more than it has been at this stage of his career. He has lapses and will miss assignments even though he is an intelligent player. He could also display more nastiness and desire to finish.

I agree that it's possible that the achilles injury may not affect him as much it would a skill position player or a linebacker. I had read that he is expected to be able to resume football activities in June.

I don't think it's a bad interest by the Bills at all.

How good or bad a move it would be would depend more upon how much he would cost.

IF he is so damn good WHY would Pitt let him fly? The O-line in Pitt was horrible. It was talked about all season here in Pa. Big Ben was the biggest concern about getting killed behind this line. The D carried this team most of the year. Oh they could get money somehow if they really thought he was so good. :thumbdown:

Yeah, that was my impression of The Steelers as well. Big Ben is one of the best active players when it comes to scrambling in the pocket.