Trading down

SWVABillsFan

After looking at many sites and getting a good grip on all the players that are or have declared draft eligible for the upcoming draft, I think they're are good players to be had from the beginning to the end. With that said, my thoughts are of an open mind to trade down regardless of who is available to obtain extra picks to try and solidify some of the positions of need. The defensive end group, center group, and tight end groups all look pretty deep to me and I believe some are almost interchangable. I also believe there are also some starters to be had on day two. They're are also players I see that should be drafted that can be taught and let loose in a season or two. Do you agree or disagree, and if commenting please state your reason why.

After looking at many sites and getting a good grip on all the players that are or have declared draft eligible for the upcoming draft, I think they're are good players to be had from the beginning to the end. With that said, my thoughts are of an open mind to trade down regardless of who is available to obtain extra picks to try and solidify some of the positions of need. The defensive end group, center group, and tight end groups all look pretty deep to me and I believe some are almost interchangable. I also believe there are also some starters to be had on day two. They're are also players I see that should be drafted that can be taught and let loose in a season or two. Do you agree or disagree, and if commenting please state your reason why.

I agree.

If Raji or Curry were available, I don't think I would. But only for those two.

I agree.

If Raji or Curry were available, I don't think I would. But only for those two.

That would be the smart play...I'm a little meh on the DE's...especially since you can probably get one if you trade down anyway...it would be nuts to pass on Curry or Raji however (IMHO, of course).

That would be the smart play...I'm a little meh on the DE's...especially since you can probably get one if you trade down anyway...it would be nuts to pass on Curry or Raji however (IMHO, of course).

And if I did trade down, I'd look to target Mack or Pettigrew

Generally I agree. But if Raj was there or Curry or one of the DE's that we covet I would take him. There are no offensive players that i would take at 11.

If the Bills brain trust is determined to take Pettigrew at 11 then they can spend all of their time between now and the draft worrying about picks 2-7 because not one of the 31 other NFL teams is remotely interested in Pettigrew or any other TE at pick 11 or higher.

This got me thinking about Mike Ditka when he coached the Saints. He traded his ENTIRE draft for the right to draft Ricky Williams. Today, I can't remember the team he traded with or who they drafted with the Saints picks, anyone else know? I think Mike was right though, in spite of his affinity for weed Ricky is STILL playing, the other players selected with the Saints picks?

This got me thinking about Mike Ditka when he coached the Saints. He traded his ENTIRE draft for the right to draft Ricky Williams. Today, I can't remember the team he traded with or who they drafted with the Saints picks, anyone else know? I think Mike was right though, in spite of his affinity for weed Ricky is STILL playing, the other players selected with the Saints picks?

The trade was to the Skins......and they did pretty well out of the trade.

LB LaVar Arrington (1-2-00)

1-12-99 and 3-71-99 picks from New Orleans/Washington to Chicago for DB Champ Bailey (1-7-99)

5-144-99 from New Orleans/Washington, along with a 2-40-99 from Washington, to Chicago for T Jon Jansen (2-37-99)....113 starts

6-179-99 and 7-218-99 picks from New Orleans/Washington to Denver for T Derek Smith (5-165-99).

In 1999 Ditka traded 8 picks including 2 #1's to the Washington Redskins. If you remember the following year Washington had a bunch of #1's. I believe one of them was spent on Lavar Arrington unless I am wrong.

The trade was to the Skins......and they did pretty well out of the trade.

LB LaVar Arrington (1-2-00)

1-12-99 and 3-71-99 picks from New Orleans/Washington to Chicago for DB Champ Bailey (1-7-99)

5-144-99 from New Orleans/Washington, along with a 2-40-99 from Washington, to Chicago for T Jon Jansen (2-37-99)....113 starts

6-179-99 and 7-218-99 picks from New Orleans/Washington to Denver for T Derek Smith (5-165-99).

Thanks :nana: Looks like the Skins got the better of the deal.

Generally I agree. But if Raj was there or Curry or one of the DE's that we covet I would take him. There are no offensive players that i would take at 11.

If the Bills brain trust is determined to take Pettigrew at 11 then they can spend all of their time between now and the draft worrying about picks 2-7 because not one of the 31 other NFL teams is remotely interested in Pettigrew or any other TE at pick 11 or higher.

I like what Trader is saying. There isn't a tight end worth a 1st round pick after Pettigrew's combine performance, especially at #11. There is too much depth (Pettigrew, Coffman, Cook, Casey, etc) to spend a first round pick on a TE when one could be taken in Round #2.

I'd take Curry at #11 and not trade down. I would also take Crabtree at #11. Yes, his combine and fortune have not been good recently, but he truly is that "boom or bust" kind of prospect. Buffalo desperately needs playmakers. That's Crabtree. He is not as versatile as say a Harvin or Maclin, but he is the best wide receiver in the draft and has true #1 WR potential. You can't pass on that if he falls to #11.

Otherwise, I would honestly prefer to trade down in the first round. I believe there are many solid starters who come come out of picks #15-#30 and Buffalo has a lot of holes to fill.

I'd have no problem if the Bills traded down and picked up an extra pick or two.

In regards to picking up a center in the draft.

With Parcells down in Miami building up that team from the inside out Modrak needs to get on the stick. Its no secret that Miami is looking for an experienced veteran center to handle the big nose tackles in our division, I don't know if we can afford to wait for a rookie prospect to develope and Preston didn't really wow anyone last year. I was really hoping we would sign a veteran center. Trent would develop a heck of a lot faster, and maybe would hit a deep pass now and then if he had a pocket to step up into.

After that I agree, I do not see any clear-cut 1st round DE talent if we stick at 11 ( most of this years crop seem a bit light to play DE - they just seem like a reach at 11) , I would rather see them take Raji if he is there. Otherwise trade down and see if they can get a few more picks.

as previously stated, if curry or raji are there i will be upset if we dont draft them. if not then trading down seems logical if we get value for it

I didn't see where you had mentioned Curry or Raji earlier in the thread, but I agree. Kelsay and Denny have done nothing for us, we have to see if Shobel is going to come back full speed, but I would hate to see the Bills reach for someone at 11 out of need who doesn't pan out.

I didn't see where you had mentioned Curry or Raji earlier in the thread, but I agree. Kelsay and Denny have done nothing for us, we have to see if Shobel is going to come back full speed, but I would hate to see the Bills reach for someone at 11 out of need who doesn't pan out.

i didnt, just playing off of previous posts in this thread

What is everyones obsession with Aaron Curry. Honestly he doesnt seem that fast watching him play, he's not a pass rusher, and doesn't seem to do anything of impact. If anything he's a steady presence at OLB. If I'm drafting a lb in the top 15 it's either gotta be an exceptional pass rusher, or a beast of a mlb. An olb who is steady, but doesn't make impact changing plays doesn't cut it. For instance comparing him to some of the lbs who have come out recently he doesn't compare to the college careers of AJ Hawk. He's not nearly the cover man that Keith Rivers was. He's not as quick as Mayo is, and not as good in coverage. Maybe someone whos seen him more then me can sell me on Curry as a top 5 prospect that everyone is claiming he is?

In regards to picking up a center in the draft.

With Parcells down in Miami building up that team from the inside out Modrak needs to get on the stick. Its no secret that Miami is looking for an experienced veteran center to handle the big nose tackles in our division, I don't know if we can afford to wait for a rookie prospect to develope and Preston didn't really wow anyone last year. I was really hoping we would sign a veteran center. Trent would develop a heck of a lot faster, and maybe would hit a deep pass now and then if he had a pocket to step up into.

After that I agree, I do not see any clear-cut 1st round DE talent if we stick at 11 ( most of this years crop seem a bit light to play DE - they just seem like a reach at 11) , I would rather see them take Raji if he is there. Otherwise trade down and see if they can get a few more picks.

The last time the Bills used a first round pick on a center, they got Kent Hull. Since his retirement, the Bills have generally tried to fill the center position through second day picks (such as Jerry Ostroski and Duke Preston), or free agency (Trey Teague, Melvin Fowler, etc.). Frankly, I'm tired of this team signing second-rate, free agent centers.

The center position has been an open wound in this team's flesh ever since Kent Hull hung up his cleats. We need to solve that problem for good--or at least the next ten years. And that means using a first round on Mack.

We could either trade down for him, or else take some other player (hopefully Raji) at #11 overall, and then trade back into the first for Mack.