Fred Taylor in Buffalo

VABills

From our friend Chris Brown and to all who make a judgement based solely on age instead of taking it on a case by case basis:

"Released by the only team he’s ever played for in the NFL, 11-year veteran running back Fred Taylor is making a free agent visit with the Buffalo Bills today (Tuesday). Taylor was let go by the Jacksonville Jaguars in a cost cutting move on Feb. 16.

Standing 16th on the NFL’s all-time rushing list with 11,271 yards, Taylor is just one season removed from his seventh career 1,000-yard season (1,202 rushing yards in 2007), which earned him his first Pro Bowl nod in February 2008.

This past season Taylor, 33, had become the second option behind Jacksonville’s Maurice Jones-Drew. It was the first non-injury year in which Taylor had less than 150 carries.

Taylor had just 556 yards in 2008 and averaged 3.9 yards per carry, but was running behind an injury-plagued offensive line as witnessed by the Bills in Week 2 when he had 49 yards on 14 carries.

Nevertheless, he’s still widely considered to be a capable NFL back with power and breakaway ability.

Evidence of that is revealed by the fact that Taylor is fifth in league history in rushes of 10 yards or more. He has also been a strong finisher in his career as his career rushing average in December is 5.3 yards per carry.

His career average of 4.6 per rush is fifth best in NFL history.

Taylor is a former first-round pick of the Jaguars and was selected with a pick that ironically was acquired from the Bills in 1998 in the trade for quarterback Rob Johnson."

If you watch enough football you know that Marvin Harrison and Keith Brooking are washed up and that Torry Holt and Fred Taylor are not, regardless of what the calendar says.

This just on the ESPN Free Agency chat:

Question: I read Taylor was going to interview in Buff which could result in Lynch getting traded. Would that even be smart?

Matt Williamson: (1:58 PM ET ) Sorta. Lynch is a smidge overrated and also is getting into a lot of trouble off the field, which might be all Buff needs to move him. Still, Fred T went to U of Flor and played at Jax-think he is going to be doing cartwheels to move to Buffalo?

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=25235 Couple of mentions of the Bills, nothing we haven't already heard.

I love all these comments are not wanting to come to Buffalo. If he wants a job and one is offered, he will come here.

That's assuming Buffalo is the only job offer he gets. I expect he will have some choice, in where he gets to work.

I think, if NE* offers him a position, and it appears he will get more PT there, then it may make more sense for him to go to the Cheatriots.

But, to those assuming if both Jackson and Lynch stay, Taylor would only get the few number of reps Oman got last year...I think you are mistaken.

I really hope it isn't true that the Bills are considering trading Marshawn, and acquiring Taylor. That's pretty stupid, IMO.

That's assuming Buffalo is the only job offer he gets. I expect he will have some choice, in where he gets to work.

I think, if NE* offers him a position, and it appears he will get more PT there, then it may make more sense for him to go to the Cheatriots.

But, to those assuming if both Jackson and Lynch stay, Taylor would only get the few number of reps Oman got last year...I think you are mistaken.

I really hope it isn't true that the Bills are considering trading Marshawn, and acquiring Taylor. That's pretty stupid, IMO.

Why, even if you can add a late round 1st? Take another back in the mid rounds, and you can fix interior line and get a DE in the first.

RB solution same if not improved for a year or two. check

DE solution check

interior line helped check.

Why, even if you can add a late round 1st? Take another back in the mid rounds, and you can fix interior line and get a DE in the first.

DE solution check

The RB situation wouldn't be improved, or the same, for one.

It was just a general statement. Taylor is still a decent back and I bet he does get a few offers. He will not come here as a 3rd back.

It was just a general statement. Taylor is still a decent back and I bet he does get a few offers. He will not come here as a 3rd back.

Agreed. Unless, of course, he and Stroud are much "closer" than we know. :rolleyes:

The Dean -----------------------------> passed out :pirate:

Jealous? :(

DE solution check

One flaw with your logic.

"RB solution same if not improved for a year or two"

that was so easy to type, but not easy to come to fruition.

Oh ya

Now I remember

I forgot, your the guy who said Marshawn was the 5th best RB in the AFC east :rolleyes:

One flaw with your logic.

"RB solution same if not improved for a year or two"

that was so easy to type, but not easy to come to fruition.

Oh ya

Now I remember

I forgot, your the guy who said Marshawn was the 5th best RB in the AFC east :rolleyes:

He only made the pro bowl as the 3rd best and there are numerous folks here who think freddy is better. personally I also belive ricky williams is better. So that's 5.

Taylor is pretty much better at everything except getting into trouble.

He only made the pro bowl as the 3rd best and there are numerous folks here who think freddy is better. personally I also belive ricky williams is better. So that's 5.

you have to understand, that anything you type regarding Marshawn Lynch is no longer credible.

I guarantee you there are zero football personnel people who would agree with your statement.