Buffalo media killing Lynch....

Buftex

Again, many of us did a lot of dumb things when we were 22. Now imagine if you were famous and had millions of dollars. Lynch doesn't seem like a bad guy. However, I think he is very influenced by others. He needs to cut off the leeches before he destroys a promising NFL career.

you beat me to it. if i had the fame, money, and life lynch has when i was 22, i shudder to think what kind of mess i would be in or would have gotten into. it would be grand if someone would/could give him a little help, advice, love. he is a heck of a ball player and i hope he can tote the rock for us for years to come.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bull sh--. Mark Gaughan's been on the Bills beat since 1988, Allen Wilson since 1999, and Gaughan is so well respected among his peers that he's next in line to become president of the Pro Football Writers of America.

I'm not sure about John Vogl because his bio isn't on the News site, but Rod McKissic is the only person of the 12 shown there who hasn't been at the paper for at least 10 years (he "only" has eight), and McKissic, Wilson, Sullivan, and Milt Northrup are the only ones who didn't either grow up in Buffalo, attend college here, or both. Northrup's been in Buffalo for 42 years, Wilson and McKissic used to work for papers in Rochester, and Sully was hired as a columnist after covering an NBA beat in NYC.

So who came here from a bigger market besides Sully, who moved for a better job, and McKissic, whose paper in Cincy no longer exists? And who's looking to move to one? Especially in this climate, when writing for The News -- a Guild shop with no layoffs and only voluntary buyouts (which nobody in sports has taken, last I heard) -- might just be one of the safest newspaper jobs left in the entire country?

Or do they stay in Buffalo for the same reason as so many people in other industries -- it's home, and believe it or not, they actually LIKE it here?

Take your potshots at the columnists, if you like. If they're entitled to have opinions, then you're certainly entitled to disagree. But you're smearing some good people with that wide brush.

I definitely won't argue with the expert, which I know you are in this area. and i was well aware that "some good people" were going to be mistakenly included in that generalization.

but as San Jose pointed out, some people that factually dont fit into my description sure seem like they could. again, IMO.

then again, ive kind of been put off to a lot of "reporting" since the internet has blurred the lines between Journalist and Person with nothing else better to do on the Internet. And everyone just seems like theyre trying to make a name for themselves. Like theyre in it strictly for their own ego.

Heck, I was offered a part time job covering (HS) football for the AJC, and you've all seen how stupid I can be. The diluting of the pool has soured me.

While I feel the sportswriting at the News is pretty mediocre, your post was excellent and well-researched. Good job.

I would also say though that Dr Dankenstein did say "at least that's the way they read to me" so he was allowing that it was an opinion of his and not a fact.

They are *supposed* to be professionals. It is one thing to discuss a situation and give your opinions. Its another thing to completely assault someone because you have a grudge against them.

It is entirely possible to discuss how Marshawn was being a dumbass out in Cali, and how he's made 2 bad decisions in the past year. They can question his character and his decision making. Its quite another to simply go after the guy because they don't like him. They shouldn't stoop down to the "he's a punk thug" type of level. But, i guess no more can be expected from most of the filth that infests Buffalo's media. And as was mentioned before, its not like this is an uncommon event. Players get arrested all the time for stupid crap.

Like I said, this post wasn't really about the sources of the comments, as much as the comments themselves. If you listen to the Sullivan clip, he isn't nearly as vindictive as you are assuming he was. He was just more kind of matter a fact about Marshawn, saying, in effect, he wouldn't expect him to turn things around. BTW, if you think the Buffalo News sports writers are vindictive, I am not sure what you read. If you read others around the country, Sullivan, Gaughn and Wilson are all pretty fair. My whole point at the begining of this was that two guys who have access to the team (at least more than anyone here) but aren't paid by the team, drew the same conclusion, that Marshawn is probably not someone who is going to be "saved" any time soon.

To all of you who are writing this off as a harmless, victimless crime...I understand. I want to too. But, the victim here will be the Bills, and us poor down troden fans, if/when Lynch gets suspended for his involvement in these victimless crimes, and if/when the next vicitmless incident happens. With each harmless crime (and those of you still finding the need to refer to the woman who got hit by Lynch last year in deragatory terms should really be proud or yourselves), Lynch, as talented as he is, becomes a problem for the Bills, and Bills fans by extension. Do the re-sign him at the end of his contract and hope he doesn't have another "young and stupid" incident, or do they trade a really talented player, a year before his deal is up, so they can dump him before he further jeapordizes the teams future on the field?

I am thinking of this purely how it affects the product the Bills put on the field. If Marshawn was a street free agent, or played for any of the other 31 teams in the NFL, I could care less if he carried a gun, smoked cack, whatever his "young and stupid" personality desires...but so far, he isn't showing that he is going to be someone that the Bills (and fans) can count on....

They are *supposed* to be professionals. It is one thing to discuss a situation and give your opinions. Its another thing to completely assault someone because you have a grudge against them.

It is entirely possible to discuss how Marshawn was being a dumbass out in Cali, and how he's made 2 bad decisions in the past year. They can question his character and his decision making. Its quite another to simply go after the guy because they don't like him. They shouldn't stoop down to the "he's a punk thug" type of level. But, i guess no more can be expected from most of the filth that infests Buffalo's media. And as was mentioned before, its not like this is an uncommon event. Players get arrested all the time for stupid crap.

This is one of the better posts right here.

Let me get this right...a columinist is filth because he calls marshawn a punk

But when Marshawn runs a woman over with an suv and leaves her in the street and follows that up less than a year later by being arrested on a gun charge you say...."it's not like this is an uncommon event"

:lol::lol:

This is should go into the STADIUM WALL HALL OF FAME.

"Players get arressed all the time" but.....

"They shouldn't stoop down to the "he's a punk thug" type of level", "the filth that infests Buffalo's media".

name calling....reprehensible

comitting crimes....no big deal it happens all the time

AMAZING !

first of all paula hamilton knows absoulutley nothing about football.... he should stick to hockey... Anyways about lynch who cares if he gets introublle really what does it mean to you... really are you sad that now your kids cant follow in his footsteps.... marshawn lynch is trhe best player we had in 7 years.. seriously name somone we have had better

I agree with you, Hamilton is much more useful when it comes to hockey than he is football (sorta like the gym teacher who has to teach social studies, because of budget cuts), but he isn't commenting on the X's and 's of football, but, rather that character, or lack of, of an immature football player. Hamilton is around the team much more than you or I, so I would take his observation with a little more seriousness than something that someone writes on a message board, just thinking out of their ass.

As for your question, it is true, when Lynch smokes some dope, and carries a loaded gun, it doesn't directly affect me, Paul Hamiliton, or anyone else here, directly, unless he caps one of us. Where it does afffect us, indirectly, and I think more profoundly given the nature of this message board, is that with each seemingly harmless illegal incident (and the fact that it is harmless is irrelevant, because it is illegal), Lynch is fugging with the foundation of the team that most of us have been pulling for, long before Lynch wore a Bills jersey. The more talented he is (and I love the guy as a player) the more his indiscretions affect, and hurt the franchise.

While I feel the sportswriting at the News is pretty mediocre, your post was excellent and well-researched. Good job.

I would also say though that Dr Dankenstein did say "at least that's the way they read to me" so he was allowing that it was an opinion of his and not a fact.

Hey, I've taken a few runs at Sully in my time, too ... but it bothers me when people start talking about the "filth that infests Buffalo's media." Filth? Infests? Really, Ramius? This ain't the Weekly World News paparazzi chasing down celebutantes and photoshopping Batboy. (Full disclosure: while I do occasionally correspond with some of the people at the News, it's not like I'm close friends with anyone there. I'm not judging this on a personal level.)

And DrDank, while I won't deny the fact that there's certainly some ego involved in writing -- yeah, it fuggin' rocked to see my first Page 1 byline, and you'd better believe I grabbed a few extra copies that week -- you might be overplaying that theme. Again, just my opinion.

You'd BETTER have a ego if you put your words into column format and expect a couple hundred thousand people to give a crap what you think, but I still think the majority of writers get into the business simply because they enjoy telling stories for a living.

Because it sure isn't for the easy hours and high pay ...

Come on, Lori....it's the press box food that makes it all worthwhile. :lol:

Not in any press box I've ever been in. (Of course, most of the ones around here also don't have heat, or glass in the windows ... :lol: )

very true. considering the market, within the Buffalo media you have 2 types of people. Reporters who are starting out and trying to make a name for themselves so they can move to a bigger market, and who will therefore try to write the most ridiculous garbage. Or reporters who have come from a bigger market, have failed, are bitter, and pissed they are in Buffalo. These guys just dont give a sh-- about anyone and will try to bring anyone down so they feel better about themselves.

At least thats the way most of them read to me.

Which one am I?

Which one am I?

Neither, Mr. Graham, and DrDank's simplification of the personalities in the Buffalo sports media is really off base. I'm a Cornell student aiming for a job in the sports media, and I just wanted to tell you that I'm a really big fan of your work. If it seems like I'm kissing a*s, well, yes I am.

Hey Tim, glad to see you're still around. Have you heard anything more on the Lynch crisis? Is he going to get suspended as a so-called "repeat offender"?

Sit tight for now. We should know a lot more in 48 hours. And I'm hearing the info won't improve Lynch's outlook.

Neither, Mr. Graham, and DrDank's simplification of the personalities in the Buffalo sports media is really off base. I'm a Cornell student aiming for a job in the sports media, and I just wanted to tell you that I'm a really big fan of your work. If it seems like I'm kissing a*s, well, yes I am.

Ooh, if I weren't such a nice person ... :lol:

1st writethru: Good edit, kid. :lol:

I think you were one of the ones who made a name for yourself and moved on. Not sure I remember the ridiculous garbage, though.

Don't forget my Joe Mesi coverage.

But we'll need a new category for reporters who move on, make a name for themselves and move back anyway.

Don't forget my Joe Mesi coverage.

But we'll need a new category for reporters who move on, make a name for themselves and move back anyway.

Checked our weather forecast lately? If you have, and you're still coming back, your friends in the Sunshine State can probably supply a few choice sobriquets.

Good thing you said "sports media" and not "newspapers." You might have a shot. And thanks for reading my stuff. Given the current job market, I hope you have a chance to keep reading it ...

Checked our weather forecast lately? If you have, and you're still coming back, your friends in the Sunshine State can probably supply a few choice sobriquets.

I'm in Indianapolis. High temp is supposed to be 27 tomorrow. I stand no chance in my fleece.

But 92 degrees and 94 percent humidity is no way to enjoy a summer.