ethnic food in NYC

Pete

I was going to bring a girl down to Queens or Arthur Ave and bounce around many different ethnic food restaurants. I was thinking perhaps Astoria. Where do you recommend for a variety of neighborhoods and ethnic foods? NYC has everything!

I was going to bring a girl down to Queens or Arthur Ave and bounce around many different ethnic food restaurants. I was thinking perhaps Astoria. Where do you recommend for a variety of neighborhoods and ethnic foods? NYC has everything!

If you want good Italian, check out Amici on Mulberry. tiny little hole in the wall, but great home cooked Italian food.

There is a Turkish restaurant just off Broadway that is pretty good as well, but I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head. Off the island, I would recommend 5 Corners in South Ozone Park for good German food and some good brews.

If you are in manhattan around times square I really recommend this place:

Sake Bar Hagi

152 49th Street

New York, NY 10019

The sign for it is basically non existent - go to the adress and it is in the lower level. Have not had Japanese (not all sushi by the way) this authentic since I was last in Tokyo.

It is an Anthony Bourdain favorite.

New York Times Review

cheeseburger, cheese steak, hot dog, fried chicken, reuben, club, any fast food, etc. I am looking for stuff like Croatian or Lebanese or Ukrainian or Peruvian, etc

How about Serbian? Kafana NYC, located at 116 Avenue C, at 8th Street. Fantastic food. Been there three times since it opened and plan to continue going.

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/kafana/

Great reviews....

http://www.yelp.com/biz/kafana-new-york

It's been years since I spent time there, but an old girlfriend of mine lived in Astoria, and I spent a lot of time there in the late 80's. Back then, there were a lot of Greeks, Albanians, Lebanese (and other mid-easterners) and even some South American (Brazilian) influences. If you are looking to walk around and experience an eclectic mix of cultures, Astoria might be a good spot. At least it used to be.

It's been years since I spent time there, but an old girlfriend of mine lived in Astoria, and I spent a lot of time there in the late 80's. Back then, there were a lot of Greeks, Albanians, Lebanese (and other mid-easterners) and even some South American (Brazilian) influences. If you are looking to walk around and experience an eclectic mix of cultures, Astoria might be a good spot. At least it used to be.

Thanks for the info. We are going to hit up Astoria and end up at the German beer garden. Does anyone recomend any particular unique food items? Isnt there a Chilean and Brazilian section there too?

Any neighborhoods to avoid?

Edit- I am hoping to do lunch at little India, then hit up Astoria later

I used to live in Astoria for a while a couple of years ago and it is definitely one of the better places outside of Manhattan to live and probably the best place in Queens AFAIC.

I highly suggest Mundo. This place is really small, but the food and the service is amazing and they offer cuisine from all over the world. I cannot say enough about the place.

The Bohemian Beer Garden is the best bar I have ever been to in my life. Pitchers of beer are $12 and that is for Hoegarten, and other belgium beers.

Good luck and if you have any other questions, PM me and I'll be more than happy to offer some more suggestions.