If it is not too late to get a flu shot ... get one

BuffaloBill

Normally I get a flu shot every year. I happened to be out of town when they were offered at the office. Now I've got a full blown case of it. This is not fun. Headache, chills, cough and can't keep any food in my system. Getting a flu shot would have been much easier and less expensive.

Did you know the stomach bug is not the flu?

I just had it myself for 3 days

lost 10lbs over night.

Hey Stussy - Saw the doc this morning. He said symptoms are exactly like those associated with Influenza B. No doubt I will also lose weight I was down one pound this morning already (just water weight). Given that I can not keep anything down it will get worse.

Almost every time I've gotten the flu shot I've gotten sick from it. Yes it will prevent you from getting the full blown flu, but the odds of that happening are small. I'd rather attempt to stay healthy by getting enough sleep and eating well and not have to inject that nasty crap into my body.

Knock on wood, I haven't so much as sneezed all winter.

Normally I get a flu shot every year. I happened to be out of town when they were offered at the office. Now I've got a full blown case of it. This is not fun. Headache, chills, cough and can't keep any food in my system. Getting a flu shot would have been much easier and less expensive.

Ugh, I'm going through the same thing right now. Not fun. :censored: Second time being sick in about a month. :blink:

That's a good reason to keep a 6-pack of a liquid nutritional supplement in the house, like Ensure. They are a quick shot of needed protein, sugar, fats, and vitamins.

Use such judiciously otherwise, though. They contain a fair amount of potassium, so caution for folks on certain BP and heart meds, and constant use brings the risk of being reliant on something sans much fiber becoming an easy out, instead of proper eating.

That's a good reason to keep a 6-pack of a liquid nutritional supplement in the house, like Ensure. They are a quick shot of needed protein, sugar, fats, and vitamins.

Use such judiciously otherwise, though. They contain a fair amount of potassium, so caution for folks on certain BP and heart meds, and constant use brings the risk of being reliant on something sans much fiber becoming an easy out, instead of proper eating.

Thanks for the heads up Cincy - my wife had to give ensure to my mother in law when she was near the end with lung cancer. she could not eat solids at that point.

I, and pretty much everyone else I work with have had recurring cold/flu/something all winter. I mentioned this to my boss who is a surgeon and former head of the med school and he said "You should talk to Mary, she's been here fifteen years and never missed a day." So I asked her and she said every day she uses a nasal saline spray, and that's been the key. Handwashing and keeping your hands away from your face and mouth. Now I have to put these things into practice...easier said then done. Good luck everyone with the various bugs going around this year.

Almost every time I've gotten the flu shot I've gotten sick from it. Yes it will prevent you from getting the full blown flu, but the odds of that happening are small. I'd rather attempt to stay healthy by getting enough sleep and eating well and not have to inject that nasty crap into my body.

Knock on wood, I haven't so much as sneezed all winter.

Same. I decided to get a shot 5yrs ago & I got the flu 3 times that year. Ever since then I do not get it & knock on wood I have not had the flu since. kNowing my luck though, I will probably get it this weekend.

Same. I decided to get a shot 5yrs ago & I got the flu 3 times that year. Ever since then I do not get it & knock on wood I have not had the flu since. kNowing my luck though, I will probably get it this weekend.

It's because the flu is becoming more and more evolved year after year. Influenza and the flu are evolving rapidly, now doctors are starting to suggest flu shots twice a year in order to try and stay on top of the virus. Even if you receive the shot, you still are susceptible to every other form of the virus except for the strand that you received through the shot.

Latest weekly CDC flu report

It looks like this years vaccine has closely matched circulating A strains (H1N1 & H3N2), B strain coverage however has not been as robust. Also, you can't get 'sick' from the flu shot. You can have an adverse reaction to it, especially if you are allergic to eggs or any excipients used in the manufacture of the vaccine, but there is zero chance of contracting flu from the flu shot.