Proud to be a Buffalo sports fan tonight.

seq004

In light of the horrible accident that has occured last night and the sorrow today it was so nice to see the Swords pull that one of in the last seconds. They had the choice to cancel the game. They let the lead slip away but put it in the net when needed. Sometimes life is good. I know this isn't the Sabre board but just wanted to express what a good feeling it was to see that happen and of course my thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

In light of the horrible accident that has occured last night and the sorrow today it was so nice to see the Swords pull that one of in the last seconds. They had the choice to cancel the game. They let the lead slip away but put it in the net when needed. Sometimes life is good. I know this isn't the Sabre board but just wanted to express what a good feeling it was to see that happen and of course my thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

I don't live in Buffalo anymore (though my folks and three of my sister still do). and I have to confess, I didn't realize the immense impact this incident had on the area, until I tuned into the Sabres game tonight. It is rare that anything these days doesn't seem a little fabricated...but you really could see the pain in the face of Lindy Ruff as he recounted his experience with the crash (he stayed up until 1:30 in the morning, watching the aftermath), as he wondered aloud how it would be hard not to think of this, for as much as he, and his team fly. You could hear the near crack in Mike Robatailles voice (admittedly, a little over the top sometimes with his hyperbole)... pulling out the win was more than just beating the "best" team in the NHL... you really could feel that the Sabres wanted a win tonight, of all nights, to give something positive to the WNY area...

Much as I love the Bills, one thing I really appreciate about the NHL, is the close ties that the teams have to the city. With NFL players, more often than not, you get the vibe that the players feel like we should feel blessed that they "don't mind" playing in our god-forsaken city... with the NHL, to some of these players, and even the members of the front office, you get the feeling that Buffalo is a great place to live... it may be the biggest city that some (if not all) of these kids have ever been a part of... I join you in saluting the Sabres for a great showing of civic care tonight...

I don't live in Buffalo anymore (though my folks and three of my sister still do). and I have to confess, I didn't realize the immense impact this incident had on the area, until I tuned into the Sabres game tonight. It is rare that anything these days doesn't seem a little fabricated...but you really could see the pain in the face of Lindy Ruff as he recounted his experience with the crash (he stayed up until 1:30 in the morning, watching the aftermath), as he wondered aloud how it would be hard not to think of this, for as much as he, and his team fly. You could hear the near crack in Mike Robatailles voice (admittedly, a little over the top sometimes with his hyperbole)... pulling out the win was more than just beating the "best" team in the NHL... you really could feel that the Sabres wanted a win tonight, of all nights, to give something positive to the WNY area...

Much as I love the Bills, one thing I really appreciate about the NHL, is the close ties that the teams have to the city. With NFL players, more often than not, you get the vibe that the players feel like we should feel blessed that they "don't mind" playing in our god-forsaken city... with the NHL, to some of these players, and even the members of the front office, you get the feeling that Buffalo is a great place to live... it may be the biggest city that some (if not all) of these kids have ever been a part of... I join you in saluting the Sabres for a great showing of civic care tonight...

It makes me wonder if this sentiment is true because so many of these kids grow-up in small, backwater towns in Canada or some western European country.. whereas our football players grow up in this country, and no exactly the difference between playing in New York or Chicago, as opposed to Buffalo or Cincinnati

It makes me wonder if this sentiment is true because so many of these kids grow-up in small, backwater towns in Canada or some western European country.. whereas our football players grow up in this country, and no exactly the difference between playing in New York or Chicago, as opposed to Buffalo or Cincinnati

of course it is. these guys arent getting babied their entire lives and spending 4 years at "schools" like Miami, USC, UCLA, any SEC school, etc., where they are already treated as pampered superstars from 18-21 before they ever play professionally.

coming up as a hockey player through the European and Canadian leagues is a completely different world than what the average spoiled football player grows up with.

Just wanted to add to this;

I was a bit emotional for the ending, I have to admit. It was a small consolation for a big tragedy, perhaps a little reprieve for those who needed a moment to escape the real horror from the crash. The only thing I felt as we won that game was 'god bless the families of those involved in the accident and god bless this city.' Incredible game

Nice post

Nice post and agree with you all the way. Sometimes we (I) get a little shallow and stupid in comments posted to this board. Your effort here shows that there is a much bigger picture to life. Thanks for taking the time to do so.

Nice post and agree with you all the way. Sometimes we (I) get a little shallow and stupid in comments posted to this board. Your effort here shows that there is a much bigger picture to life. Thanks for taking the time to do so.

Your welcome my friend.