Bills Need a Outstanding Draft This Year

Kenwick

Free agency is around the corner. The Bills have not been very good bringing in strong talent in the draft as has been expressed in other blogs.

Over the years I have heard it takes at least 5 drafts to make your team playoff bound. When Levy took over we had two drafts under him which at the time looked to be pretty good ones. Looking back I do not agree. Last years draft was not a strong one either. At least not to date it isn't in my opinion.

This year the inner circle which Mr. Wilson has talked about has finally brought in a football person who is better in judging talent then last years inner circle of Mr. Wilson, his daughter, Littmann and GM Russ Brandon. Now we have a football person helping to decide talent in F. A. and the draft.

Free agency will help us fill a couple of holes hopefully. It depends on if the purse strings are open enough. You get what you pay for.

The draft is a crap shoot. I see the Bills this year taking a few risks on obtaining offensive players over defensive players. They will try also to fill the holes left after acquiring free agent talent. Time will tell.

Actually I thought going into last season the biggest holes they had were back up O-linemen. I thought they had plenty of depth defensively to give them a top 10 team and special teams under coach April is always in the top 5 or so. He lost good talent last year, but his coaching skills on special teams is very special indeed. He would make a good head coach some day.

Going into last season I thought they were well represented with two good QB's. Was I ever wrong with Losman.

I also thought the Bills covered their asses with WR Hardy. He was the tall receiver they so badly needed. He was a bust last year, but still has a lot of promise in the future. Just not yet. Basicly I thought the offense was going to come around. It did to a degree but lack of quality depth showed both on offense and defense. Poor coaching did not help and it still does not look good for the future. Very poor decision making on the field by the coaches cost the Bills several games. You usually do not see a lot of that but the Bills seemed to screw up offen on the side lines during the games.

How many times did we hear from the players after a game say that they were not well enough prepaired for what was throw at them offensively and defensively. (Think of the Arizona Game when we got kicked all over the field) I blame the coaches... You know, the guys who were all retained again this coming year.......

I have diverted from what I was going to say about the draft... Wilson wants more offense. That means a big TE who is damn good. A center who can pull out and stop NT's from over powering him. Maybe another WR either from the draft or F.A. and yes a FB who is at least average. A better D-lineman is also needed and hopefully addressed early in the draft to bring in top talent in a position of great need.

We all know what is needed. Can Bills management deliver is the question? Money should not be a problem. Ralph has the money. He was 29 million under the cap last year and well under the cap in each year since the early Tom Donahoe era.

In his old age he has been satisfied with just a average team. Lack of quality drafting has held the team back. Poor judgement on the part of the inner circle for acquiring talent is the root. Not money. Not anymore. I am wondering what deversion for not acquiring talent it will be this year. I dunno.

But we will get a snow job from spin doctors I am sure. We always do.

In all honesty how often does an outstanding draft lead to immediate upgrading your starters. Best a team gets away with is getting 1 starter at the start of the season and another one during the season.

Draft is more bulding the future then an immediate improvement imho.

On the positive side I think we had a good draft last year, with Johnson being a surprise. If we can retain quality and Hardy starts to produce we could have a great team this year, else we'll still be building the team for the year thereafter.

In all honesty how often does an outstanding draft lead to immediate upgrading your starters. Best a team gets away with is getting 1 starter at the start of the season and another one during the season.

Draft is more bulding the future then an immediate improvement imho.

On the positive side I think we had a good draft last year, with Johnson being a surprise. If we can retain quality and Hardy starts to produce we could have a great team this year, else we'll still be building the team for the year thereafter.

Hardy will not be much help until at least 2010. Ralph Wilson Might not be here then. The Bills might not be here then. You and might not be here then.

Hardy will not be much help until at least 2010. Ralph Wilson Might not be here then. The Bills might not be here then. You and might not be here then.

Wow, what an incredibly depressing post. Cheer up guy. I think rooting for the Bills is starting to get to you a bit. Maybe you should check out for a while and focus on some more positive things and come back when you're in a better place :thumbsup: .

Wow, what an incredibly depressing post. Cheer up guy. I think rooting for the Bills is starting to get to you a bit. Maybe you should check out for a while and focus on some more positive things and come back when you're in a better place :thumbsup: .

Yes. A big positive with an outstanding draft this year is that the next Bills coach will have some good young talent to work with which has already been through the rookie experience.

:thumbdown:

nice

I have seen the same thing posted in the last couple of days about the inner circle. Who, exactly, knows who is or has been, in the inner circle? Can I see a link, please, or are you, like everybody else, guessing. Is Brandon in it? Jauron? I don't think anybody knows. Getting Modrak involved is a good thing, however. I assume that Buddy Nix will have a lot of input too, even if it's just through Modrak.

I honestly don't know how you could have thought that we had filled in all our holes last year. The Stroud signing appeared huge, and it was in fact, very big, but receiver and CB, center and TE and a solid established #1 QB all looked like weaknesses going into the season, I thought. CB was the only one of those that worked out pretty well, as Youboty, Corner and McKelvin near the end of the season all played better than expected. Nobody else really stepped up, though Trent took a few steps in the right direction. Stevie Johnson and possibly Fine also took one or two steps forward, though they still have another few miles ahead of them before they get where we need them to be.

And yeah, we really do need an outstanding draft this year. But that's true every year. Even a mediocre draft hurts you, if not that season then two or three seasons down the line.