Who Do You Think Is The Most Overpaid And Underpaid Bill?

Steely Dan

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitner doesn't make that much money and is one of the better players on defense. He hasn't lived up to the #8 overall status (by the way look at past #8, Whitner is probably in the top half in production) but that isn't his fault. It's the Bills. He is a good, solid player.

I think some of the problem with Whitner is lack of pass rush. Ed Reed and Polamalu are great players but it doesn't hurt that the defenses they play in are more confusing and apply more pressure on the QB.

Bingo. Yes at the time we had no choice but to pay him what we did. But now that his true colors are showing it's time to cut the chord. Believe it or not guys do get old. I would like to see someone give me one reason that Schobel will have a better season than the last two. Because if you don't think he can than he should be cut.

slow white undersized and now injury prone DEs always improve in their early 30s.

This hinges around how good AS was(is?).

You define him as mediocre. I listed 11 starting DEs who got new contracts in 2007 and ASs stats were well above all but one of them......and only a small jump above them in contract level.

In 2006(leading into new contract) he had 14 sacks. This was with Tripplett & rookie Williams as his DTs.....Kelsay/Denney on the other end.....Diiorgio & Ellison as LBs.....a rotation of players at RCB......and one of the toughest schedules in the league. And not surprisingly made the probowl.

Never got consistent pressure? Not even HOFer level DEs get consistent pressure. If other DEs around the league got consistent pressure......surely they would rack up more sacks than they do. Back when he got his pro-bowl there were several posters against AS.....saying he only got sacks in junk time etc. I compared AS with the only other two DEs in the league who were considered 'good' and had racked up similar numbers(Taylor & Peppers). I broke down how many sacks in individual games, at what times, against what opponents, etc, etc. Schobel compared with both. He did not have inordinate multi sack games against scrubs.....he didn't have an inordinate number of junk time sacks.....his sack numbers were spread over similar games to the others.

I'm not saying AS was as good as those guys.....but he certainly was better than most DEs in the league at the time.

You can make the argument that AS played like the DE equivalent of Barry Sanders(to a lesser degree) in that he produced more negative plays than the average good player.....but you still have to concede the inordinate number of BIG plays. Mediocre players don't make the big plays(sacks) to the level that AS had done.

He wasn't a super-star DE when he signed in 2007.......but he was certainly well above the average starting DE in talent, consistency and production.

dont tell me about consistent pressure sonny...i know all about it and so do those knowledgable about football. many of us saw thru his act a lonnnng lonnng time ago

dont tell me about consistent pressure sonny...i know all about it and so do those knowledgable about football. many of us saw thru his act a lonnnng lonnng time ago

Perhaps you would care to share your knowledge and explain the apparent anomaly that is Schobel. How does somebody who is mediocre and more inconsistent than the norm garner so many sacks compared to most other DEs?

The thing that interested me most about the list is that we are actually in pretty good shape in terms of having guys under reasonable contracts the next two-three years (i.e., we have most of our starters locked up through 2010). Exceptions exist, of course--Kelsay will be given one more year (at $3m) to prove his worth I suspect and show 2008 was an aberration, the corner situation with Greer and McGee both coming up in the next two years and I think that it will hurt losing Josh Reed after 2009 if he's not extended, but other than that we have just about everyone else you might possibly want (at least for depth if you can upgrade) locked up.

Call me crazy (and you will), but I still do think that with good upgrades in just a few spots (DE, C, TE, WR and OLB) combined with the natural progression of younger players like Trent, Poz, Lynch and (leap of faith) Johnson and Hardy we may be competitive next year for the playoffs. For ex., if we could sign Matt Birk or Jason Brown at C, re-sign a healthy Crowell or equivalent, hit on a good DE at #11, sign someone like Amani Toomer at WR and draft a good TE in Rd 2 we'd plug most of our main holes.

All of that looks to me to be well within the realm of possibility--signing one solid starter FA, one hometown discount for a FA coming off an injury year and one FA past his prime, but with something in the tank and chip on his shoulder is something even Ralph has the wallet for based on the last few years of "cash to cap". At DE, we get Schobel back (hopefully healthy) and Ellis should be better after a year in the program. Combine that with a good DE at #11 (Orakpo or more likely Brown or Maybin) and adding Crowell or his equivalent (Vilma, for ex.) at LB and our front 7 will be much improved. A few bounces our way and that team could go 10-6 next year. Now go ahead and call me crazy.....

Um....no. Bently.

Bentleys are for wannabes.

Searching "Bently" I found that many people mis-spell "Bentley" as you do. That's kind of like the yuppies that refer to BMW's as "Beamers" when the correct nick name for them is "Bimmer". You don't strike me as a car guy, so I'll excuse you from the error. For the record I don't care for Bentley's.

Yes, this has a lot to do with football since some NFL players drive Bentley's and they are definitely wannabees when it comes to cars. Roscoe Parrish drives a Bentley and is overpaid but under utilized by his team.

Searching "Bently" I found that many people mis-spell "Bentley" as you do. That's kind of like the yuppies that refer to BMW's as "Beamers" when the correct nick name for them is "Bimmer". You don't strike me as a car guy, so I'll excuse you from the error. For the record I don't care for Bentley's.

Yes, this has a lot to do with football since some NFL players drive Bentley's and they are definitely wannabees when it comes to cars. Roscoe Parrish drives a Bentley and is overpaid but under utilized by his team.

When I went to the KC game this year by coincidence we were staying at the hotel the Chiefs also stayed at the night before the game and sho' nuff, there was a Bentley with driver waiting outside the hotel that morning. I suspect it was either Gonzalez's or LJ's, as I couldn't think of anyone else on that team who could really afford one (okay, maybe Glenn Dorsey as well).

I work in midtown Manhattan and we see a fair number of them there. I've also started to see a lot of Maybachs and Maseratis (sp?) lately, not quite sure why, but I guess rich folks' tastes are changing perhaps.....

Dude I have a Bently. They do not advertise because if you need to ask then you can't afford it. A Bentley is a low end imitation of a Bently.

:thumbsup::D:wallbash:

You have never had any clue whatsoever what you're looking at or what you're talking about and you likely never will. But I'm sure that won't ever stop you from continuing to babble on about it. Which is OK though, because you are a great source of comic relief for the folks who do actually know what they're talking about. :lol:

Paying anyone 7 or 8 or 9 million a year who is mediocre---thats overpayment.sorry. Schobel used the fact that we had fat Pat and Ted and the other fat guy in the middle...snuck in for some unimportant sacks at unimportant times....Never got consistent pressure even when he was young. Now that he has not much support on the line he has been exposed for the utter mediocrity that he is.--That being said I think he works hard--and I dont blame him for being a slow 243 pound white man who gets manhandled and is a non-factor. If I were him I'd be stealing the Bills money too.

We know he's white no need to point it out.