What Scouts Inc says about the top 2 TEs

Beerball

I think any TE at #11 is a bit of a reach. Or maybe "reach" is the wrong word, "risky" is the word I'm looking for. The TE position seems to be worse than the WR position for trying to predict who will succeed (see Vernon Davis as the #6 pick).

I'd feel better about picking Pettigrew if we could get some value while doing it; that is, trading down from 11 to the 13-16 area and picking up another pick. That could be the leverage needed to pick up a top center, LB or DE late in round one or earlier than our existing #2.

The Bills would be insane to draft a tight end before the third round. The position just isn't as important as it once was since the officials started to enforce the no contact after five yard rule. This has now become a look WR first, dump pass to RB second option league. The days of TE's being a dominating force like they were a few years ago are over. It's a luxury to have a great pass catching TE who can get open. Would you want one? Of course you would! At the expense of a 1st or 2nd round pick? Not a chance! Not when you have players named Keith Ellison, Chris Kelsay and Duke Preston as starters in far more key positions.

Besides all that, Derek Fine was beginning to look like a real tight end the second half of his rookie season. It may sound crazy but he could be our Dallas Clark. Not "as good" of course, but "almost as good" which might be good enough.

Fourth round I think Nelson, Pascoe and a couple of others who I forgot. Nelson may be the best receiver in the draft and Macock thought he was a decent blocker. Pancaked Rey M on one play that he pointed out on film. No way before the 4th round. We will trade our third round pick to move up and get one of the top Centers.

Hmmm talented but slow. I think we'd be better off looking at free agents and use our early draft picks on linemen that can help us from day one.

How fast is Jason Witten, Chris Cooley, Kevin Boss? I'd rather have a slow, sure handed tight end that knows how to get open than a faster Robert Royal.

Agreed. blocking TEs especially in our current offensive system seem to be the norm. Pettigrew isn't a top 15 pick, I'd call him somewhere in the 18-25 range of the first round. Another TE to keep an eye on is Beckum from Wisconsin. He was injured most of this year, but is a solid all around TE. Look for him on Day 2

Agreed ...just do not see Buffalo taking TE in round 1 I would bet on round 2 if not, round 3

Agreed. blocking TEs especially in our current offensive system seem to be the norm. Pettigrew isn't a top 15 pick, I'd call him somewhere in the 18-25 range of the first round. Another TE to keep an eye on is Beckum from Wisconsin. He was injured most of this year, but is a solid all around TE. Look for him on Day 2

I agree on Pettigrew. I only like him in a trade down for an additional pick in the first three rounds. It's a no risk proposition if someone takes him ahead of the Bills oh well there are some very good options later in the draft and the fall off is not that great if at all.

Pettigrew is a very good blocker and a good posession receiver with some character concerns The risk reward factor at 11 is way out of whack.

What does he give you that Pascoe in the 5th or Nelson or Beckham in the 4th does not?

What does he give you that Pascoe in the 5th or Nelson or Beckham in the 4th does not?

IMO not that much, but a little more star power and a slight better chance to be successful. I think Beckum could be a real steal, but thats just me.

I saw both these guys play, and I'd take Coffman. He's big and has amazing hands. It would be fun to see the Bills actually use the tight end as something besides a 4th option. Plus, he can learn how to block with a good coach. Mizzou ran a spread offense without much of an emphasis on traditional tight end blocking.

Coffman's dad was a Pro Bowl tight end in the late 70's, early 80's, for the Packers. And they don't take that position lightly up there. He's got lineage.

Nah, the whole "he can learn to block" thing fails more than it succeeds.

First, you have to have the body and the strength for it, and a lot of guys don't. But even more important is that to be a good blocker, you have to love contact. And an overwhelming majority of guys at the skill positions really don't. Technically, blocking isn't all that difficult. If the guy liked it, he could have learned it by now.

The Bills have said over and over (and over) that they need a TE who can block. They have proved that by again and again passing on guys who can run and catch but not block. Don't expect them to break their pattern. I don't know if they'll choose Pettigrew, but I bet he's the only one of the first four or five that they will even consider.

To me, these are far and away the most important words in the whole article(thanks by the way):

"Excellent on hot reads. Knows how to get open in a hurry in those situations."

This is what Edwards needs. Troy Aikman(who Edwards sorta reminds me of style-wise) once said: "I would quit this game tomorrow if Jay Novacek isn't my tight end." He meant: I will get killed if I didn't have Novacek.

Edwards needs an outlet guy, but also somebody who consistently makes you pay if you ignore him, similar to Josh Reed, but somebody closer to the line/on the other side.

Pettigrew might be a better talent, but if Coffman is smarter and runs better routes as stated, we should take Coffman. "The Derek's" have proven they can block, and even catch a little, so it's not like we need a lot of blocking help there.

I want a real weapon at TE. That helps both Edwards and ultimately, Lynch/Jackson and Evans.

To me, these are far and away the most important words in the whole article(thanks by the way):

"Excellent on hot reads. Knows how to get open in a hurry in those situations."

This is what Edwards needs. Troy Aikman(who Edwards sorta reminds me of style-wise) once said: "I would quit this game tomorrow if Jay Novacek isn't my tight end." He meant: I will get killed if I didn't have Novacek.

Edwards needs an outlet guy, but also somebody who consistently makes you pay if you ignore him, similar to Josh Reed, but somebody closer to the line/on the other side.

Pettigrew might be a better talent, but if Coffman is smarter and runs better routes as stated, we should take Coffman. "The Derek's" have proven they can block, and even catch a little, so it's not like we need a lot of blocking help there.

I want a real weapon at TE. That helps both Edwards and ultimately, Lynch/Jackson and Evans.

Pettigrew isn't slow, he just isn't extraordinarily fast. However, at the Senior Bowl, they said he was in the best two or three at running routes. The best two or three, that is of ALL recievers, including the WRs and RBs. They said you couldn't tell where he was going till he was already there. That's really really good. It means he can get open consistently. Not so much for the 30 yarders, but his average is about 10 yards per catch. That's pretty good.

Furthermore, a guy who blocks like he does helps tremendously on running plays as well. The guys like Coffman aren't valuable on runs, and that's likely to be 50% of snaps.

He really helped himself at the Senior Bowl. He wouldn't be a bad value at #11, though I do think we could trade down a bit if things fall right, and get Pettigrew or Mack.

The Bills have historically showed NO INTEREST in TEs who are not very good blockers. I don't see that changing, which means Coffman is likely not on our radar. Whereas I bet they would love to get Pettigrew if the circumstances are right.

not @ #11 it would be an embarassing reach. so in reality he would not make it to the second round so dont count on him being a bill.