Car Salesmen or industry experts

BUFFALOTONE

Wat was it? We gots ta know!

Long story really short:

I negotiated a price for a truck and the dealership agreed to it. I signed the agreement gave them a check to hold the price pending financing. I was approved but they kept dragging there feet for some reason. The dealership is located about an hour outside of where I live. I kept calling and calling but was not getting any answers. Finally I come to find out that the salesmen AND manager who agreed to the price weren't allowed to sell it at the price I negotiated. So they used every BS stall tactic to not sell me the truck. I have good credit and 1 vehicle in my name and they kept telling me they couldn't get me financed, which is complete BS because Ford had no problem getting me approved. They screwed up and would not admit it. They said I had to come up with 7k up front because I have a lease in my name. Which is absurd. That means that I can't have 2 cars in my name? Their finance Mgr said I needed to be in the 800's as far as credit score goes to get a 2nd vehicle in my name.

I want to know what can/should I do? We have a signed agreement and they are renegging(sp)

Long story really short:

I negotiated a price for a truck and the dealership agreed to it. I signed the agreement gave them a check to hold the price pending financing. I was approved but they kept dragging there feet for some reason. The dealership is located about an hour outside of where I live. I kept calling and calling but was not getting any answers. Finally I come to find out that the salesmen AND manager who agreed to the price weren't allowed to sell it at the price I negotiated. So they used every BS stall tactic to not sell me the truck. I have good credit and 1 vehicle in my name and they kept telling me they couldn't get me financed, which is complete BS because Ford had no problem getting me approved. They screwed up and would not admit it. They said I had to come up with 7k up front because I have a lease in my name. Which is absurd. That means that I can't have 2 cars in my name? Their finance Mgr said I needed to be in the 800's as far as credit score goes to get a 2nd vehicle in my name.

I want to know what can/should I do? We have a signed agreement and they are renegging(sp)

Tell them you've arranged your own financing ( get that done). Do you have a copy of the signed order with the vin numbers and a managers sig? When you have that lined up ask them what day you can pick up your truck.

Tell them you've arranged your own financing ( get that done). Do you have a copy of the signed order with the vin numbers and a managers sig? When you have that lined up ask them what day you can pick up your truck.

Alleged signed deal for purchase price...something out there isn't passing the smell test...

Zero down payment?

0% mortgage on a 200K house with an adjustable-rate mortgage, 20k credit card debt, maybe?

Dealers are bending over backwards to move stock and get cash flow these days...real cash, not 5th-in-line promises of cash...

As you note - if the deal is signed, just show up with the...cash.

Alleged signed deal for purchase price...something out there isn't passing the smell test...

Zero down payment?

0% mortgage on a 200K house with an adjustable-rate mortgage, 20k credit card debt, maybe?

Dealers are bending over backwards to move stock and get cash flow these days...real cash, not 5th-in-line promises of cash...

Another thing ( as I mentioned to him by PM last week) is that the truck he wants may not have gotten the FI at first, then they put more money in that trade therefore cant sell it to him for the dollars agreed.

I originally told the MGR that I was putting 2k down. They brought the truck over from their sister dealership next store and when I called the sman the next day they started saying the dealership they took it from wants it back. To me that means they had someone look at it and got them for more money. the thing is I done NEED the truck. Its a great truck at a great price but I am so turned off by the way I have been treated that i would never by a car from them.

I was going to go to the bank and get the financing but its not worth it to me anymore. Me and my wife both have USAA and would have gladly given us the loan. But everyone I tell the story too thinks I am nuts if I go back there.

Zero down payment?

I though the same thing when I visited a few dealerships but every salesman I run into is some young kid who couldnt sell a bucket of water to someone on fire. They have no clue what they are talking about and no one trains them. I would rather deal with the experienced salesmen because they know how to treat you.

This one guy called me for a follow up and this is what he said: Sman: Yo Tony when you gonna come pick up this ride.

Me: What? Sman: Cmon G this is a great deal lets do this. Me: what? G you know you want this truck what else do you want from me? Me: I found another truck already. Sman: Ok, Ok, Ok.......then hangs up on me.

I though the same thing when I visited a few dealerships but every salesman I run into is some young kid who couldnt sell a bucket of water to someone on fire. They have no clue what they are talking about and no one trains them. I would rather deal with the experienced salesmen because they know how to treat you.

This one guy called me for a follow up and this is what he said: Sman: Yo Tony when you gonna come pick up this ride.

Me: What? Sman: Cmon G this is a great deal lets do this. Me: what? G you know you want this truck what else do you want from me? Me: I found another truck already. Sman: Ok, Ok, Ok.......then hangs up on me.

Quite right - deal with the experienced ones IMO.

1. Never give out a phone #.

2. Dunno about any lack of experienced salesmen. I've been looking for the past year, to buy a vehicle for my wife to replace our '98 Malibu. I never trade in. I've come across plenty of astute, non-slappy salesmen. And also some of the slappy types as you mention. We bought a vehicle that we preferred, from a dealership we took demo rides with (3 vehicles). Nothing special about that - they were not the only ones that were happy to see a potential customer try out the offerings. That's the biz -what a good sales force does.

I asked for the 55 year-old guy that we spoke with previous, - when I went in to work the deal when we decided on the car we liked most. He wasn't on duty, so I dealt with a younger fellow with 10 year's experience. The original contact came in while we were dickering. I asked him if he would get a cut of the sale - he said yes, that stuff has been worked out a long time ago...which I knew. I have an affinity for stores that have a commissioned sales staff - its' worked out well for me through the years.

I once financed a vehicle. Dealt with a dealership's "FI" (Finance&Insurance) man. That taught me to curb my desires and save up before I bought another vehicle from a retailer.

I figure I left about 500 bucks on the table, though, this time...I had need to have a new vehicle with warranty for my wife (ten years extra bumper to bumper Hyundai sedan...good deal, a waste of $, I can't say. But I can only hope I'm around in 10 years to see if I was wrong. :rolleyes: ).

The trusty 10 year-old Chev Malibu is wheezing with nice body but leaky intake manifold gasket (no trade-in...with our age, its' age, and high deductible on the old girl cost us a hundred bucks to insure it per year, so it is a keeper for occasional usage).

Quite right - deal with the experienced ones IMO.

1. Never give out a phone #.

2. Dunno about any lack of experienced salesmen. I've been looking for the past year, to buy a vehicle for my wife to replace our '98 Malibu. I never trade in. I've come across plenty of astute, non-slappy salesmen. And also some of the slappy types as you mention. We bought a vehicle that we preferred, from a dealership we took demo rides with (3 vehicles). Nothing special about that - they were not the only ones that were happy to see a potential customer try out the offerings. That's the biz -what a good sales force does.

I asked for the 55 year-old guy that we spoke with previous, - when I went in to work the deal when we decided on the car we liked most. He wasn't on duty, so I dealt with a younger fellow with 10 year's experience. The original contact came in while we were dickering. I asked him if he would get a cut of the sale - he said yes, that stuff has been worked out a long time ago...which I knew. I have an affinity for stores that have a commissioned sales staff - its' worked out well for me through the years.

I once financed a vehicle. Dealt with a dealership's "FI" (Finance&Insurance) man. That taught me to curb my desires and save up before I bought another vehicle from a retailer.

I figure I left about 500 bucks on the table, though, this time...I had need to have a new vehicle with warranty for my wife (ten years extra bumper to bumper Hyundai sedan...good deal, a waste of $, I can't say. But I can only hope I'm around in 10 years to see if I was wrong. :thumbsup: ).

The trusty 10 year-old Chev Malibu is wheezing with nice body but leaky intake manifold gasket (no trade-in...with our age, its' age, and high deductible on the old girl cost us a hundred bucks to insure it per year, so it is a keeper for occasional usage).