Some Mocks for you to mock

Beerball

Solid point Rich. However, maybe slowing the runners down a little at line might be enough for our LBers to adjust before the RB blows by them. Needless to say I think defensive front 7 needs to be addressed on day 1 with 2 picks one DL and one LB preferably.

As I said, I do like the guy and he would be an excellent addition to any defense. But, if people believe his presence alone will make our LBs and DEs play the run better (these guys have fundamental flaws in their technique) or drop back and defend RBs and TEs in the flat better, then they're kidding themselves. It's better to hope for a stud DT to go along w/ the Bills' current crop of LBs and DEs getting their collective heads out of their collective a**es, buckling down, and doing a better job of handling the basics of their position. 'Til that happens, don't expect much out of the Bills' front 7.

Agreed.

The collective opinion on Raji from what I've read on numerous draft pages is that he projects best as a nose tackle and would fit best in a 3-4. This is because he is big and can occupy blocker and clog holes while holding his own at the point of attack overtop of the center.

And I agree that Raji is the consensus top DT in this draft, but if he doesn't fit our scheme and/or doesn't stand much of a chance to improve our defense, do we really want him?

Also, based on the team we fielded for the '08 season, it is quite clear that offense was our problem. FA will tell, but I'd prefer to see Buffalo nab a DE in round one, then dedicate the rest of the draft to offense.

Well, hopefully, the Bills aren't so married to a scheme that they'll lose out on top talent. If this guy is the top talent available w/ the pick, they should by all means make the pick. We got rid of those "big, slow, and fat guys" like Pat Williams in order to make our defense more svelte and quick. Has it worked thus far?

Please, taking a TE with the 11th pick is too early, especially in this system it seems. The reality is an OL/DE/DL pick. Do you want someone to help protect your QB and increase a mediocre YPC stat? Or do you want someone to wreek havoc on the other team in the trenches? It's a lose/lose shot because both sides are in dire need of help. Right now it's a crapshoot as to what DL/DE to take: Raji, Orakpo, Brown? Just trade down and stockpile, this way they can continue to save money as they love doing, and go with the quantity method. It's not the best idea at all don't get me wrong....

Well, hopefully, the Bills aren't so married to a scheme that they'll lose out on top talent. If this guy is the top talent available w/ the pick, they should by all means make the pick. We got rid of those "big, slow, and fat guys" like Pat Williams in order to make our defense more svelte and quick. Has it worked thus far?

Thats kind of why I would love to see them pick him up. It goes against what hasn't been working. Don't get me wrong, if Orapko or Brown is still there with Raji, I'd be happy with any of them.

I wouldn't expect Raji to have 10 sacks this year, but I think that a big, agile run stuffer playing next to Stroud (who commands a double team on most plays) is a good combination for any defense.

What would really suck is to pass over Raji (yeah, Ngata didn't fit our scheme either :D) and then have him drafted by another AFC East team and watch him totally obliterate Duke Preston twice a year. (Of course, I'm assuming Raji is not just hype ... and, I don't think he is. Passing over a kid that looks like Cortez Kennedy because he doesn't "fit the system." :lol: :lol:)

I'll be upset if we leave BJ Raji on the board for this draft. You can't double team Stroud, Schobel, and Raji, and the one who isn't will probably be getting pressure on the QB. I know we need a TE and a DE, too, but all signs point to Raji being a force in this league.

If Raj is there it's a no brainer. He won't be after his week at the senior bowl. He just blew everyone away.

I like where your head is at on this one. Raji seems to be building momentum at the right time. Lets see how he does in the senior game. A beast next to Stroud, especially if Spencer Johnson leaves would really do wonders for this line.

My concern here though is how well Schobel heals from his injury. If its something that is going to be a problem, we may need to bite the bullet and grab a DE instead at this position.

Stroud and Raj in the middle will make our ends look a lot better.

I like Raji a lot, but he's not a pass rushing interior lineman. He's more in the mold of a Casey Hampton, Vince Wilfork type: clog up the A gap and tie up blockers. For that reason, he's tailor made for teams looking for a dominant 3-4 NT.

Raji's a DT with 7.5 sacks this year. Wilfork has 7.5 in his Pats career of five years. Where is the resemblance?

If Raji was not a pass rusher, I would look at him and just wish. But he is. I want the Bills to get this guy. He could be a huge difference maker for us. Actually, I think he'll be gone by the time we pick, but if he is still there, I think we snag him.

Mack at 11 is way too early. Him and Unger will be around somewhere between the Mid 1st and early to mid 2nd. Either or I would be happy. Wood from Louisville would be nice in the 3rd-4th range

Care to make a little wager that Mack goes in the first? I'll try to remember to check back on this thread. Because there's no way Mack makes it to the second, and very little chance of Unger making it to our 2nd round pick.

Centers shouldn't be picked in the first. Unless of course it is one of your team's two biggest needs AND one center is head over heels better than the others. Hey, wait, that's the case here, isn't it? Mack is arguably the best center to come out in the last ten years.

In the last 7 years, three centers have been taken in round one. All three teams are still very happy with their pick. That's not coincidence. Unlike other positions, centers can often start right away, they don't take much time to develop, and they're much less likely to bust than some other positions, including DE.

If Raji is gone, I would like to see us get Mack, unless we think there's still good value at DE. But I think center is even a bigger need. We've got four good o-linemen. Going from four to five is a lot more than a 20% increase in efficiency. It's going from decent to excellent. A trade-down would be OK with me, but not beyond 20 or so, or Mack could be gone.

As I said, I do like the guy and he would be an excellent addition to any defense. But, if people believe his presence alone will make our LBs and DEs play the run better (these guys have fundamental flaws in their technique) or drop back and defend RBs and TEs in the flat better, then they're kidding themselves. It's better to hope for a stud DT to go along w/ the Bills' current crop of LBs and DEs getting their collective heads out of their collective a**es, buckling down, and doing a better job of handling the basics of their position. 'Til that happens, don't expect much out of the Bills' front 7.

screw it then, we shouldn't draft anybody and try tp get excited about additions to the defense or for next year.

Just screw it