Laura Bush just called me

Me and Campy were talking today about all the !@#$s on this board that correct grammar...He was so right.  No i meant here

93887[/snapback]

You know I wish you wouldn't lump Chris in with yourself. I like him and respect him a lot. You haven't shown that ability.

You know I wish you wouldn't lump Chris in with yourself.  I like him and respect him a lot.  You haven't shown that ability.

93888[/snapback]

Well hate to disappoint you but we have been close friends for 5 years and respects me and thinks my teaching is a great thing....so maybe you can accept me. You don't agree with us about grammar police on here...we also decided that the Hot pocket thing was idiotic. please check my grammar and spelling..Thanks

Well hate to disappoint you but we have been close friends for 5 years and respects me and thinks my teaching is a great thing....so maybe you can accept me.  You don't agree with us about grammar police on here...we also decided that the Hot pocket thing was idiotic.  please check my grammar and spelling..Thanks

93896[/snapback]

I think teaching is a great thing. I respect teachers more then you'll ever know. What I don't want is a teacher to spew politics to my child, I expect my child to be taught by people who care and are qualified. I also expect them to teach for a fair wage. I am angry with the teachers lately in the public school system here as they continue, IMHO, to rape the taxpayers. When only 60-70 percent of the school are meeting the SOL / NCLB standards yet they want 20-30 percent payraises. When public school teachers start at 40K in a community where the average salary is 24K, and are not doing a great job to earn it. When they are cutting back sports, afterschool and during school hour programs to help pay for this. When they go from 25-35 children in a classroom, so the teachers can get a 10K raise then yes I loose a lot of respect for them.

What happened to the dedication of being a teacher? I am sorry I loose respect when it is more important for a teacher to get a large payraise then it is to worry about ensuring the children get a diverse and a quality education.

I think teaching is a great thing.  I respect teachers more then you'll ever know.  What I don't want is a teacher to spew politics to my child, I expect my child to be taught by people who care and are qualified.  I also expect them to teach for a fair wage.  I am angry with the teachers lately in the public school system here as they continue, IMHO, to rape the taxpayers.  When only 60-70 percent of the school are meeting the SOL / NCLB standards yet they want 20-30 percent payraises.  When public school teachers start at 40K in a community where the average salary is 24K, and are not doing a great job to earn it.  When they are cutting back sports, afterschool and during school hour programs to help pay for this.  When they go from 25-35 children in a classroom, so the teachers can get a 10K raise then yes I loose a lot of respect for them. 

What happened to the dedication of being a teacher?  I am sorry I loose respect when it is more important for a teacher to get a large payraise then it is to worry about ensuring the children get a diverse and a quality education.

93911[/snapback]

First of all , we have no union here in Virginia, what salary increase i recieve is up to the local government. I don't think a salary raise of 3.5% is killing tax payers. YOu don't realize that I teach children that for them, school is their only refuge...I have to be a parent, a police, a counselor, a friend.....I also have a pacing guide that I have to meet and get the information to the kids. With my experience teaching...I can say that the environment that these kids from, home life, is a large reason why SOL's aren't met. Sports are not part of regular curriculum...its a privlege to play sports...NCLB had no funding..oh federal government forces us to meet certain standards...but funds required to do that are not supplied..go figure..I'm sure there are grammatical and spelling errors..i'm sorry

Most school teachers have masters degree. I don't know how you can really complain about them making $40,000 a year. It's a stevestojantty job. They have to put up with !@#$ kids all day long. Their performance is based on state tests that the kids are too lazy to study for.

Most school teachers have masters degree.  I don't know how you can really complain about them making $40,000 a year.  It's a stevestojantty job.  They have to put up with !@#$ kids all day long.  Their performance is based on state tests that the kids are too lazy to study for.

95962[/snapback]

Umm.. in the state of Virginia thats not true. That is what pisses me off. In fact it isn't even a requirement to have a degree in the state of Virginia to be a public school teacher.

In fact most teacher in the state do not have a masters.

Wanna try another arguement. Trust me I have done a lot of research on the SOL, NCLB, teachers salaries, etc...

Most school teachers have masters degree.  I don't know how you can really complain about them making $40,000 a year.  It's a stevestojantty job.  They have to put up with !@#$ kids all day long.  Their performance is based on state tests that the kids are too lazy to study for.

95962[/snapback]

I'm way out of my lane here, because I truly don't know. Does anyone count for 2.5 months summer vacation?

Umm.. in the state of Virginia thats not true.  That is what pisses me off.  In fact it isn't even a requirement to have a degree in the state of Virginia to be a public school teacher.

In fact most teacher in the state do not have a masters. 

Wanna try another arguement.  Trust me I have done a lot of research on the SOL, NCLB, teachers salaries, etc...

95986[/snapback]

Where I live in New York, they require you to have a masters degree just to get in the door. I know other school districts that will hire you with a 4 year degree, but you have "x" amount of years to finish up your masters. I don't know about Virginia because I don't live there.

I'm way out of my lane here, because I truly don't know. Does anyone count for 2.5 months summer vacation?

There is a lot of variables you have to throw into this equation. It took my dad 25 years just to crack the $50,000 mark in teaching, and that's with 2 master degrees. Those who start out make much less then that. He doesn't get paid in the summer, but is expected to come in and work on administrative things like scheduling. He can't stand the politics of the job. Over the summer he had to go to the school board and justify the educational purpose of the senior prom. This is the same school board that forced them to have a gay and lesbian club at school. Then there is the pressure of getting these kids through the regents. Most come into class stoned and don't open up their text book all year long. I wouldn't want to do it. All that education to be a baby-sitter.