"Friday Night Lights"

Buftex

[/b]

Buftex, I agree with you.

It is a very compelling show. It has everything that I like: football, interesting and thoughtful story lines, and a lot of very attractive women.

I will miss this show when it is over -- whether it is sooner or later.

In the meantime, I am a Dillon Panther fan in addition to being a Buffalo Bills fan.

Helps that all the actresses are in their mid- to late-20's (with the exception of the coach's daughter, Julie).

That helps, but Connie Britton (coaches wife) is nowhere close to her 20's anymore, but most 20 something women would die to have a body like hers.

That helps, but Connie Britton (coaches wife) is nowhere close to her 20's anymore, but most 20 something women would die to have a body like hers.

No argument here. Connie's been one of my favs since she played Nikki on Spin City.

[/b]

The lil woman is downstairs as I write re-watching the first two seasons of FNL in anticipation of watching the 3rd season when it is finally broadcast over the air (or at least over wires if you do not have a Direct TV).

I watched the first couple of shows with her a couple of years ago but dropped it when I decided it MAY be good TV but it was not good football (IMHO). The TV show spent too much time on who was sleeping with whom (or who wanted to sleep with someone or really not sleep at all but roll in the hay for a relatively short period of time.

I'd be as likely to tune into FNL as I would watch Kevin Everett's rehab (an apparent plot line on the show with various overlays of belief in God, the Supreme Being of your choice and questions of whether he is gaming the events to influence who wins a football game based on how hard fans are praying).

FNL is in no doubt a quality TV show and I wish them well and a 4th season. However it struck me as having limited appeal to someone looking for good football.

The lil woman is downstairs as I write re-watching the first two seasons of FNL in anticipation of watching the 3rd season when it is finally broadcast over the air (or at least over wires if you do not have a Direct TV).

I watched the first couple of shows with her a couple of years ago but dropped it when I decided it MAY be good TV but it was not good football (IMHO). The TV show spent too much time on who was sleeping with whom (or who wanted to sleep with someone or really not sleep at all but roll in the hay for a relatively short period of time.

I'd be as likely to tune into FNL as I would watch Kevin Everett's rehab (an apparent plot line on the show with various overlays of belief in God, the Supreme Being of your choice and questions of whether he is gaming the events to influence who wins a football game based on how hard fans are praying).

FNL is in no doubt a quality TV show and I wish them well and a 4th season. However it struck me as having limited appeal to someone looking for good football.

Honestly, I think the main reason I like it, is because football is only the backdrop...for some reason, football is one sport that just does not translate well to movies, normally. Football flicks tend to go a little too over the top with the cheese...FNL (the movie) was one of the best football films I have ever seen, and the show is pretty damn good too. If you are looking for good football stories, I can tell you, one of the final few episodes of the third season centers almost solely around a game...you will enjoy.

Not sure what you are getting at with the whole Kevin Everett thing, but I am fairly certain that the pilot for the show (where Street becomes paralyzed) was written long before KE's injury...I just can't believe how well they handled that whole storyline on FNL... a lesser show would have milked it for every tear drop, and then had Street miraculously get up out of his wheel chair in time to QB the team to a championship... again, Scott Porter deserves/deserved some Emmy consideration for his performance.

One thing about the third season, you will gain a new appreciation for Billy (Riggins older brother), the guy has some of the most honest, and funniest moments this season...

Honestly, I think the main reason I like it, is because football is only the backdrop...for some reason, football is one sport that just does not translate well to movies, normally. Football flicks tend to go a little too over the top with the cheese...FNL (the movie) was one of the best football films I have ever seen, and the show is pretty damn good too. If you are looking for good football stories, I can tell you, one of the final few episodes of the third season centers almost solely around a game...you will enjoy.

Not sure what you are getting at with the whole Kevin Everett thing, but I am fairly certain that the pilot for the show (where Street becomes paralyzed) was written long before KE's injury...I just can't believe how well they handled that whole storyline on FNL... a lesser show would have milked it for every tear drop, and then had Street miraculously get up out of his wheel chair in time to QB the team to a championship... again, Scott Porter deserves/deserved some Emmy consideration for his performance.

One thing about the third season, you will gain a new appreciation for Billy (Riggins older brother), the guy has some of the most honest, and funniest moments this season...

The Kevin Everett "thang" was actually just a reference by me to tip my hat to FNL for actually taking on a serious issue which they did well before the particulars of the Everett incident. Thus my mention of it was not specific to that traumatic event and apparently better than can be hoped for results from that tragic hit.

For me (and this is just me as other folks like my wife chooses to spend her limited time on this planet in different ways than I spend mine on lots of stuff and this is good) it underscored how different my enjoyment of the Bills and my wife's "enjoyment" of FNL were. Ironically, FNL is actually a probably more relevant pursuit than the Bills as at least she was able to consider notions on serious issues like those raised by a traumatic football injury to a player.

For me as a Bills fan, I was also forced to consider these issues in real life as I was concerned about whither Everett and then inspired like most as though the hit cost his his career, his current level of recovery was an inspiring story of some great medical work and also diligent effort by him.

However, ultimately as a Bills fan, my approach to Everett was life and the seasons go on and I was more concerned about the trivia at TE for the Bills about Royal not cutting as a player than about Everett not being able to be a player anymore. In most ways this strikes me as sad as Everett's situation says a lot more about the state of the human condition and is of greater import than Royal being paid handsomely to fail to do the job.

However, as a Bills fan, Royal ends up commanding more of my thoughts and time than Everett as there is no possibility of Everett playing the game.

The irony for me of it all is that FNL has a lot less to do with reality than the Kevin Everett situation as ultimately they are just acting and fantasizing, but actually if I paid more attention to the non-reality of FNL I would actually be devoting more time and giving more consideration to the issue of traumatic injury of a star athlete.

Go figure.

Buftex, I agree with you.

It is a very compelling show. It has everything that I like: football, interesting and thoughtful story lines, and a lot of very attractive women.

I will miss this show when it is over -- whether it is sooner or later.

In the meantime, I am a Dillon Panther fan in addition to being a Buffalo Bills fan.

I guess that I am an East Dillon Lion fan now.