ACLU hypocrisy

Fingon

The ACLU is our nation's guardian of liberty, working daily in courts, legislatures and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties that the Constitution and laws of the United States guarantee everyone in this country.

http://www.aclu.org/about/index.html

Given the reference to "a well regulated Militia" and "the security of a free State," the ACLU has long taken the position that the Second Amendment protects a collective right rather than an individual right. For seven decades, the Supreme Court's 1939 decision in United States v. Miller was widely understood to have endorsed that view.

The Supreme Court has now ruled otherwise. In striking down Washington D.C.'s handgun ban by a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court's 2008 decision in D.C. v. Heller held for the first time that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to keep and bear arms, whether or not associated with a state militia.

The ACLU disagrees with the Supreme Court's conclusion about the nature of the right protected by the Second Amendment. We do not, however, take a position on gun control itself. In our view, neither the possession of guns nor the regulation of guns raises a civil liberties issue.

lol

Actually, given that rather cogent arguments have been made for the Second Amendment enumerating a "collective right" rather than an individual right, the ACLU's position isn't nearly as hypocritical as it seems.

Although I do have to admit, it did seem awfully hypocritical at first, until I started digging into it. And even so, given that I've only seen the "legal concept" of "collective rights" mentioned in connection with the Second Amendment, it's a vaguely circular argument.

I think this is the most important line in the posted excerpt:

We do not, however, take a position on gun control itself. In our view, neither the possession of guns nor the regulation of guns raises a civil liberties issue.