Time Warner Hikes

Hmmm.... guess I need to update my profile. I don't live in Rochester anymore. Now am in Wilmington NC, so no locals here in HD and not even on the "coming soon" list..

Yes I know you can get one HD DVR fro fre, however I want a second. Will likely cost me $200 for that one.

As far as OTA, then can't record locals through DVR. I know DTV does make some DVR that does allow that, but sounds like hard to come by that model, plus I believe it is lacking some other features.

Sorry I want everything!!

Interestingly Wilmington was a pilot city for the digital conversion, so we were changed over to all digital already in September. Interesting stat, no one committed suicide or shot anyone at TWC the day after it went into effect either.

Hi Ed,

Just an FYI...

I have DirecTV, we have had the locals in HD since August/September.

Yes, extra boxes are $4.95 extra a month for mirroring, but I believe if you add more than one, it's still $4.95.

I got my HD DVR last February for free, no up front charges.

No FIOS here in Greece either, I would like to trial it.

At the very least use the above info when your TWC expires, get the most for your money.

Jim

Hey Ed, thats not correct. I live in Rochester and have DTV. Local channels are now in HD. Also by Feb this year EVERYTHING needs to be a HD signal so thats one less thing for Time Warner to keep bringing up.

Also DTV just started carrying the MLB channel to go along with the NFL channel that Time Warner doesnt carry. Cheaper rates and better programming. Go figure...

If you can receive locals via OTA, that is your BEST option. The best picture & audio is OTA due to NO COMPRESSION of signal. For HD DVR with Direct TV you are looking at a TWO year commitment but you should be able to get a GREAT DEAL.

Hmmm.... guess I need to update my profile. I don't live in Rochester anymore. Now am in Wilmington NC, so no locals here in HD and not even on the "coming soon" list..

Yes I know you can get one HD DVR fro fre, however I want a second. Will likely cost me $200 for that one.

As far as OTA, then can't record locals through DVR. I know DTV does make some DVR that does allow that, but sounds like hard to come by that model, plus I believe it is lacking some other features.

Sorry I want everything!!

Interestingly Wilmington was a pilot city for the digital conversion, so we were changed over to all digital already in September. Interesting stat, no one committed suicide or shot anyone at TWC the day after it went into effect either.

You can record to DVR OTA on ALL Direct TV DVR's. The newer models require an external tuner which Direct TV will provide, the older models have the tuners built in. The features are the SAME on both the older & newer models.

Did DTV eliminate the $5 mirroring fee per outlet? Last time I had DTV you needed to pay that??

You have to pay $5 extra for each extra receiver after the 1st, however you can hook up more than 1 TV to a receiver, the remote control can be set to radio frequency so you can control the receiver from other rooms. I have 1 receiver hooked up to 2 TV's & another hooked up to 3 TV's.

You have to pay $5 extra for each extra receiver after the 1st, however you can hook up more than 1 TV to a receiver, the remote control can be set to radio frequency so you can control the receiver from other rooms. I have 1 receiver hooked up to 2 TV's & another hooked up to 3 TV's.

Wow. I never ever knew that. Thanks for that info. I am going to have to give it a try.

Wow. I never ever knew that. Thanks for that info. I am going to have to give it a try.

Keep in mind that you can't watch two different programs on the one receiver -- the receiver itself only outputs one video signal to all of the outputs.

As for OTA -- you can get an antenna that mounts to the dish and they can run a cable in at the same time. So yes, you'll have an antenna, but no it won't be "rabbit ears on the TV." I had a Square Shooter that looked niec on the roof and fed OTA to all of the TVs in my house - free. Plus, you can record OTA on the HD DVR.

Also -- you should be able to get a second HD DVR for $99. That's what I paid without even asking. Even better, you can plug in a SATA drive (or open the box and put it internal...) and get practically unlimited recording. My father-in-law can't do that with his HD DVR from Charter -- he only has about 20-30 hours of recording. :unsure:

Living in a apartment in DC, I can't get Direct TV. I know that DTV always says "No one can turn you down from DTV," but its true...can't get it in my apt. DTV guy came and said theres too many trees and no where to mount, and the apt says no satellites can go on balconies.

I had DTV two years ago. It was awesome. Lived with 5 buddies, and we had every sports package imaginable. But the only reason we got it was because there were so many of us to defray the costs. I'm pretty sure the base rate we got with all the movie channels was $89.99 (I may be wrong, it was two years ago). They also charged us 5.99 PER EXTRA receiver. That also doesnt include the sports packages throughout the year. Also, DTV made us sign a year contract.

Now with comcast, I get all the premium channels in my cable package, internet and cable for 100 a month. And there's no contract... I can cancel at any time. Theres also the plus of free ON Demand, which is awesome because I don't watch too much scheduled tv...I'd rather just watch on demand.

But its too good to be true....I've had a 4 month long dispute with comcast...signed up for NHL center ice in October and I still havent gotten the package to work yet...yeah comcast keeps crediting my bill every month but with the terrible customer service, they just cant figure out the actual problem why the hockey channels arent working. I've never seen worse customer service than comcast, something I never saw with DTV.

If somehow DTV could get On Demand, I would be the first to sign up.

And that right there kills any savings DirecTV would give me. Not to mention, every time I call Time Warner to cancel they lower my bill so there really won't be any savings to start with and I'd be getting fewer channels.

When Tivo goes back to DirecTV I'll consider it (has that happened yet?), but until then, I will never leave cable as giving up my Tivo would be like quitting crack. And yes, I have seen their DVR in action.

living in the washington area, one of the things i will continually be pissed about is comcast cable. i've dealt with everything imaginable with them.

but this is one of the cases where i can say thank god i don't have a worse service...that is time warner.

look at this stuff...i cant believe the rates are that high to begin with.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/540561.html

funny how that comes out after the MTV channel among others were rumored to be getting cut from Time Warner because the company that owns those channels wanted another .43 cents per household for the 10 or so channels that provided...Time Warner faught this and gave in late and now is raising their prices which somehow are more then the above mentioned .43 cents

sometimes Im glad I have DirecTv

When Tivo goes back to DirecTV I'll consider it (has that happened yet?), but until then, I will never leave cable as giving up my Tivo would be like quitting crack. And yes, I have seen their DVR in action.

They signed the agreement, but haven't released a product yet. Speculation is Q4 '09. I have a DirecTV DVR, and you're right -- TiVo rocks compared to it. The DirecTV one isn't bad... It's just that it's not good.

and the apt says no satellites can go on balconies.

The apartment can't legally do that. It's considered "exclusive use property," and the FCC says you can put a dish there if you want, regardless of whether the lease says you can or not. It's like the whole, "Landlord can enter your apartment at any time for any reason" clause in a lease -- in Minnesota, they can say that, but it's not legal and they can be fined $50/occurance.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

"The rule applies to individuals who place antennas that meet size limitations on property that they own or rent and that is within their exclusive use or control, including condominium owners and cooperative owners, and tenants who have an area where they have exclusive use, such as a balcony or patio, in which to install the antenna. The rule applies to townhomes and manufactured homes, as well as to single family homes."

If somehow DTV could get On Demand, I would be the first to sign up.

I guess it's time to switch - DirecTV has On Demand now. Just connect it to your broadband connection, and you're done. I used it to watch a lot of Olympic coverage because you could download just the individual event you were interested in -- and it was in HD to boot!

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/conte...ssetId=P4750018

Whne I last had DTV, had 2 TIVO DVRS. My wife said it was the best thing I ever bought her. Right now have a new subscriber agreement with TWC that expires in March, so then they will likely try to raise my rates to full price. I will threaten them with going to DTV, if they give me same rate which historically they have, would likely stay with them until locals are available done here. Once that happens, which by then likely TIVO DVRS will be back then may very well go back to DTV. (Hell the Bills may win a supoer bowl before that happens too!!)

Anyone have any ideas what DTV plans are beyond Q1 2009 regarding getting locals up in more cities?? As I said their website lists notheing beyond that date.

For SD packages I think DTV is much cheaper than cable. When adding the $10 fee for HD, plus $5 per receiver fee, starts to get closer in cost. Will see what happens.

They signed the agreement, but haven't released a product yet. Speculation is Q4 '09. I have a DirecTV DVR, and you're right -- TiVo rocks compared to it. The DirecTV one isn't bad... It's just that it's not good.

Consider this comparison, Ralph Wilson and Time Warner,Both trying to suck money out of their customers without doing anything to increase the value of the product. Anyways

Time Warner just needs more competition in the area. For some reason there is not another cable provider to choose from, too damn bad. Direct TV is just as good , even better I am told. I am switching ASAP. I wish everyone would, but the older folks wont and will be stuck with any price they want to charge.

Switch to Direct TV, tell time Warner where to go. Same with Ralph, dont buy season tickets until he does something to make this team better. Sorry for the comparison, just sick of western NYers getting screwed.

Anyone have any ideas what DTV plans are beyond Q1 2009 regarding getting locals up in more cities?? As I said their website lists notheing beyond that date.

They're constantly adding more locals every few weeks - but I don't know what their plans are offhand.

Everyone instantly looks at DirecTV, but if you're not interested in Sunday Ticket and don't care about the most HD channels, people should also consider looking at Dish. They have a couple of advantages over DirecTV:

1) Cheaper

2) Receiver lets you send two different pictures to two different TVs (not sure how they do it and why DirecTV hasn't copied it yet)

They also have an "HD only" tier that one of my coworkers is on. It's only about $30/month for all of the HD channels (but none of the standard def channels).

they have to make up the lost revenue from all the people that switched to DISH or DirectTV over their fight with LIN Broadcasting and CBS somehow...guess they chose to try and get more people to leave by raising the prices...

living in the washington area, one of the things i will continually be pissed about is comcast cable. i've dealt with everything imaginable with them.

but this is one of the cases where i can say thank god i don't have a worse service...that is time warner.

look at this stuff...i cant believe the rates are that high to begin with.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/540561.html

friends dont let friend watch cable. DTV only way to fly

Keep in mind that you can't watch two different programs on the one receiver -- the receiver itself only outputs one video signal to all of the outputs.

As for OTA -- you can get an antenna that mounts to the dish and they can run a cable in at the same time. So yes, you'll have an antenna, but no it won't be "rabbit ears on the TV." I had a Square Shooter that looked niec on the roof and fed OTA to all of the TVs in my house - free. Plus, you can record OTA on the HD DVR.

Also -- you should be able to get a second HD DVR for $99. That's what I paid without even asking. Even better, you can plug in a SATA drive (or open the box and put it internal...) and get practically unlimited recording. My father-in-law can't do that with his HD DVR from Charter -- he only has about 20-30 hours of recording. :unsure:

It is true that you can't watch different programs from the same receiver at this time ( there is talk that it is in the works) so I have OTA hooked up to my TV's as well.