3rd and 2, up three, at your own 7

JCBoston

If you really think the likelyhood of getting 2-3 yards is greater with a run, then fine, I can agree to disagree.

When you say things like: "no matter the QB is, you don't put your team in a position that one breakdown can lose you the game" or "they were lucky not to turn it over" - that just comes across as the exact same thought process that causes lots of coaches to suck at game management - ie they're more concerned with avoiding criticism than they are putting their team in the best position to win the game.

The issue, to me, isn't running vs. passing, it's going empty backfield vs. not. A pass is a fine call there, but at least come out in a formation that gives the D some threat of a run. This allows playaction (where Manning is always most effective), screens, swing passes, an outlet to Addai, or at least an extra blocker. With an immobile QB like Manning, coming out in an empty backfield set allows the D to tee off, which proved to be exactly the undoing of the play. If you watch the replay, you'll see that the TE on the right side of the formation wasn't able to get out of his stance in time to slow down the rusher from the edge, who came in and sacked Manning. This was probably a combination of the TE being slow off the snap count (possibly b/c he couldn't hear it due to crowd noise) and the rusher himself going all-out upfield after Manning.

Going empty backfield on that play was certainly not putting the team in the best position to win the game. Though I think your point was mostly that passing instead of running was a better play, and I don't disagree there. San Diego's pass D is one of the worst in the league, while their run D is pretty good, and in this game specifically, both of those trends held up.

No, it shows that no matter the QB is, you don't put your team in a position that one breakdown can lose you the game. You play the percentages, and on that play the percentages called for a run.

The old saying that only three (really four) things can happen on a pass, and only one of them is good still holds true whether your QB is a sure-fire Hall of Famer or a never-was/has-been.

I think that they had to get that first down or, at the very least go in to OT, punting from the back of the endzone or 3 yards deep in the EZ is going to result in great field position either way. The only way to put that game away was to get that first down. They had a chance to win the game right then and there and they have the league MVP taking snaps, not JP Losman.

So you call the play that you think will work, that has the best chance of getting that first down. It is a guessing game hedged by strategy and guile. Dungy lost on that play not because he threw it but because he called a play the Chargers apparently saw coming.

People fumble on runs, especially when everyone in the stadium knows a run is coming. If they are that chicken that they can't risk a pass, heck, why even risk a handoff? Why not really play the odds and just have Peyton sneak it and then line up for that punt?

They had a chance to win the game, they took it. Fault them for execution, credit the Chargers for not being fooled and making a big play. But don't blame a coach for putting the ball into the hands of his best player with a chance to win the game on the line.

only problem with this is Manning calls his own plays, so the call had like a 0.00005% chance of having come from Dungy...

Several times during the game Manning had to wait for call to come in so your odds claim has little water. Dungy did not make the call because the OC does.

As much as I dislike Dick Jauron, this just goes to show that any play, regardless of the call, is good if it works or bad if it doesn't.

you also have to understand your personnel. In this case, we are are comparing an MVP versus a turnover prone backup...you don't put your turnover prone backup in that position.

They certainly should have left a back in.

But that said, I'd make a Peyton Manning exception to most playcalling standards. They showed a stat earlier in the game showing that Manning converted 3rd and short through the air almost every time, and the running game was regularly stuffed.

As much as I dislike Dick Jauron, this just goes to show that any play, regardless of the call, is good if it works or bad if it doesn't.

A lot of differences. The Bills were cruising in the running game. The Bills QB is a turnover machine, esp on the run. The Bills line is not that good. The Bills were playing a backup QB. The Bills WRs are not great...did I miss much?

For the Colts, they have a HOF QB. They have an unreal line. Their running game sucks. They have at least 1 HOF WR and maybe 2, with some other WRs that are pretty damn good.

Dungy made the right call; Jauron did not. Dungy has been in the playoffs for 10 straight years; Jauron went to the playoffs once.

The issue, to me, isn't running vs. passing, it's going empty backfield vs. not. A pass is a fine call there, but at least come out in a formation that gives the D some threat of a run. This allows playaction (where Manning is always most effective), screens, swing passes, an outlet to Addai, or at least an extra blocker. With an immobile QB like Manning, coming out in an empty backfield set allows the D to tee off, which proved to be exactly the undoing of the play. If you watch the replay, you'll see that the TE on the right side of the formation wasn't able to get out of his stance in time to slow down the rusher from the edge, who came in and sacked Manning. This was probably a combination of the TE being slow off the snap count (possibly b/c he couldn't hear it due to crowd noise) and the rusher himself going all-out upfield after Manning.

Going empty backfield on that play was certainly not putting the team in the best position to win the game. Though I think your point was mostly that passing instead of running was a better play, and I don't disagree there. San Diego's pass D is one of the worst in the league, while their run D is pretty good, and in this game specifically, both of those trends held up.

Totally agree: It's not run or pass, it's the GD empty backfield on 3rd and short that allows the D to just Tee off w/ out worry about their run lanes. I've asked several times: Am I missing something? It just seems so obvious that empty backfield on 3rd and short is a gift to the D.....

Yep.

When you can't run the ball or stop the other team on defense, you try to win the game through the air. Don't see what's so confusing about it. A completion there ends the game.

Does anybody really think Addai would have picked up the first down on a run? I don't. As the above poster said, it goes to show you the primitive thinking regarding play calling: good if it works, bad if it doesn't.

I don't think anybody was bitching about the play-calling when the Colts took 7 minutes off the clock on their previous drive by mixing runs and passes, or when Arizona sealed their win today by throwing the ball on their last drive.

I'm with you - go for the first down and the win. I would have preferred a RB in the backfield to make the defense defend the possibility of a run. Nice to watch a game where there were no wasted timeouts or horrible clock management etc.