Sooooo Is There Going To Be A Press Conference?

First he says that the team is lacking the players and then he says the team is heading in the right direction. If he is not going to change the coaches, when he is he going to address the changes (if any)? Is he just going to stay silent and wait until all the anger passes (ala Lynch hit and run)?

Hey, even I thought it was no big deal a month after lynch ran his car into the curb...or was it a dog....ohh yeaa, it was a person. See, the longer time marches on, the fewer questions Wilson has to answer. It is sad but true and he knows it.

First he says that the team is lacking the players and then he says the team is heading in the right direction. If he is not going to change the coaches, when he is he going to address the changes (if any)? Is he just going to stay silent and wait until all the anger passes (ala Lynch hit and run)?

Hey, even I thought it was no big deal a month after lynch ran his car into the curb...or was it a dog....ohh yeaa, it was a person. See, the longer time marches on, the fewer questions Wilson has to answer. It is sad but true and he knows it.

I'm not forgetting or forgiving the last dive to the ground perpetrated by Wilson. His playing his last card as Bills owner and it's a joker.

Hey, even I thought it was no big deal a month after lynch ran his car into the curb...or was it a dog....ohh yeaa, it was a person. See, the longer time marches on, the fewer questions Wilson have to answer. It is sad but true and he knows it.

Here is my analysis on what's going on with Ralph.

1. He is right on the money about a young team needing continuity (doesn't mean DJ and co. are the answer, but you don't develop young talent with constant change).

2. He knows it will be a VERY unpopular decision, so probably why he didnt do a press conference...heck, the guy is 90.

3. DJ, believe it or not, is still considered to be a pretty good coach in NFL circle and the team does love to play for him.

4. Ralph signed him to the extension already, so pulling the plug on him is going to be expensive at this point.

5. Troubles and inconsistency at QB greatly contributed to the demise of our season and we have a young QB who also missed time due to injury. This was the biggest reason for our fall from grace, not DJ.

6. There are some top coaching candidates available right now, but it is very possible that next off season will have several elite coaching candidates available as well: Holmgren plans to take 1 year off, Cowher emphatically stated he does NOT want to coach this next year until his daughter graduates (and his top 2 chocies to coach won't be available likely next year Jets and Browns), Shannahan likely takes one season off, Mariucci and Billick could also still be there, etc. Add Andy Reid too to that mix as I think he is back next year, but it might be his last unless Philly has a real strong season.

7. This team dealt with injury's to a lot key players on both D Line and O Line, QB, the secondary and LB positions. We didn't have the depth to overcome that.

So, when you add up all the variables, it makes some sense to give DJ one year to try and rebound.

Thanks for never forgetting me.

3. DJ, believe it or not, is still considered to be a pretty good coach in NFL circle and the team does love to play for him.

5. Troubles and inconsistency at QB greatly contributed to the demise of our season and we have a young QB who also missed time due to injury. This was the biggest reason for our fall from grace, not DJ.

7. This team dealt with injury's to a lot key players on both D Line and O Line, QB, the secondary and LB positions. We didn't have the depth to overcome that.

So, when you add up all the variables, it makes some sense to give DJ one year to try and rebound.

On point 3: DJ is considered a joke in NFL coaching circles. I'm sure you're aware that among active coaches, only Herman Edwards has a lower winning percentage. And I'm also certain that after losing the Jets game in true Joe Piscarcik fashion, that DJ is laughed at privately. Piscarcik's coach never again had a job in the NFL after that game. DJ got an extension.

On point 5: It is expected that coaches will coach their players, especially the QB. Yet Edwards was not prepared for certain things and never seemed to deal with teams that dropped 7+ into coverage. The coaching staff did him no favors when things got rough. They failed to get creative. Case in point was against NE, when 30 of 31 non-scrambles went between the tackles according to Greg Easterbrook.

On point 7: Depth has been a problem with this team the last few years. Because the team has drafted poorly and will not spend within 22M of the salary cap, you'll see bargain basement signings like Teddy Lehman, Blake Costanzo, and Jerametrius Butler when injuries happen. Contrast this with Baltimore who dealt with 17 guys going on IR, yet found the right players to win. One of them was old favorite Jim Leonhard.

Ralph thinks, but it's about his pocketbook. I have no problem with an owner making money, after all that's what they're in it for. But to give approval to a man who cannot beat good teams (6-23 versus teams with .500 or winning records in three seasons) and exhibits poor gameday management is completely asinine.

On point 3: DJ is considered a joke in NFL coaching circles. I'm sure you're aware that among active coaches, only Herman Edwards has a lower winning percentage. And I'm also certain that after losing the Jets game in true Joe Piscarcik fashion, that DJ is laughed at privately. Piscarcik's coach never again had a job in the NFL after that game. DJ got an extension.

On point 5: It is expected that coaches will coach their players, especially the QB. Yet Edwards was not prepared for certain things and never seemed to deal with teams that dropped 7+ into coverage. The coaching staff did him no favors when things got rough. They failed to get creative. Case in point was against NE, when 30 of 31 non-scrambles went between the tackles according to Greg Easterbrook.

On point 7: Depth has been a problem with this team the last few years. Because the team has drafted poorly and will not spend within 22M of the salary cap, you'll see bargain basement signings like Teddy Lehman, Blake Costanzo, and Jerametrius Butler when injuries happen. Contrast this with Baltimore who dealt with 17 guys going on IR, yet found the right players to win. One of them was old favorite Jim Leonhard.

Ralph thinks, but it's about his pocketbook. I have no problem with an owner making money, after all that's what they're in it for. But to give approval to a man who cannot beat good teams (6-23 versus teams with .500 or winning records in three seasons) and exhibits poor gameday management is completely asinine.

Good points...

On your comment about DJ being a joke in NFL circles...sadly, this isn't true beleive it or not. I have several friends and contacts in the NFL circle and I was just as shocked to find out that he still is regarded as a good coach there. I am not saying I agree with it, just saying that is how he is viewed.

I also started my post saying I would prefer to replace him, but not replacing him does make SOME sense given the whole landscape of the situation.

About Trent...I disagree here...you can only lay the performance of a player at the coaches feet so much. Trent severly regressed when he struggled and lost his confidence, is slow making his reads, and looks to check down too much. Sometimes a player just doesn't have the make up to get it done. Trent may rebound, but the jury is still out on him, so to blame the staff for that is not valid. Its not like Trent was a stud and then DJ came in and made him worse...also, DJ doesn't develop the QB, the O Coordinator and QB coach are grossly responsible for that role, especially with a HC with a defensive background.

I agree about the drafts, but that is more for the lack of having a quality GM, something I think needs to be rectified.

Here is my analysis on what's going on with Ralph.

1. He is right on the money about a young team needing continuity (doesn't mean DJ and co. are the answer, but you don't develop young talent with constant change).

2. He knows it will be a VERY unpopular decision, so probably why he didnt do a press conference...heck, the guy is 90.

4. Ralph signed him to the extension already, so pulling the plug on him is going to be expensive at this point.

6. There are some top coaching candidates available right now, but it is very possible that next off season will have several elite coaching candidates available as well: Holmgren plans to take 1 year off, Cowher emphatically stated he does NOT want to coach this next year until his daughter graduates (and his top 2 chocies to coach won't be available likely next year Jets and Browns), Shannahan likely takes one season off, Mariucci and Billick could also still be there, etc. Add Andy Reid too to that mix as I think he is back next year, but it might be his last unless Philly has a real strong season.

#5 is complete baloney,it was the play calling that contributed to the inconsistency at QB,it took the idiot OC 16 games before he realized the running game can greatly help the passing game.Remember the SF game where Lynch had over 130 yards in the first three quarters and touched the ball ONCE in the 4th qtr because the OC had the back up QB throwing every play,simply moronic.

Mother nature stepped in to help the Bills against the Patriots by taking away the Pats best threat and that was Matt Cassel throwing to Wes Welker. So both teams were forced to run the ball. The bills actually had the better running game with Fred Jackson's 136 yards and 4.6 yards per rush vs the pats with 3.6 YPR and still lost because of moronic coaching and play calling. That game showed the difference between a good coaching and what the Bills have.

You can give any reason you want as to why the Bills let the 1st half expire on the 12 yard line with 22 seconds, but they called a running play...that is coaching,play calling, even pee wee league coaches know better then that.

You can sugar coat it all you want but the simple fact is...IF Ralph Wilson didn't panic at the thought of losing Jauron when the team was 5-1 and him being in the final year of his contract and offer a three year extension,the Bills would be looking to hire a new head coach because Jauron would have been fired!

#5 is complete baloney,it was the play calling that contributed to the inconsistency at QB,it took the idiot OC 16 games before he realized the running game can greatly help the passing game.Remember the SF game where Lynch had over 130 yards in the first three quarters and touched the ball ONCE in the 4th qtr because the OC had the back up QB throwing every play,simply moronic.

#5 is very true to a certain extent. Before the Wilson hit against Arizona, TrINT was standing in there, reading the defense, and throwing the ball to a spot where the WR was going to be open at. After the hit, he was worried about taking another hit like that more than reading the defense and getting the ball out. He was looking for the blitz instead of the openings. The Monday night game against Cleveland was prime example. Evans was open on atleast 7 or 8 occasions if TrINT would've thrown the ball to a spot where the zone had an opening. The WR's crossed these openings without even a glance in their direction. On one play Evans was running a skinny post that would've surely been a TD with his speed igf the ball would've been thrown his way. Jaws noticed it and spoke up about it if you remember clearly. TrINT played like a scared little boy after week 6. You could've yelled "BOO!!!" at the guy and he was letting go of the ball, it didn't matter what color the jersey was. It wasn't the play calling, it was the guy calling out the plays in the huddle. I hope, for our sakes, that it was just lingering effects of the concussion and not an ineptitude to play the QB position in the NFL. He had decent moments against SD (Worst pass D in the NFL at one point) and Denver (for obvious reasons), but overall I grade him at a D+ for the year. Too many missed opportunities, the theme of our season.

Good points...

On your comment about DJ being a joke in NFL circles...sadly, this isn't true beleive it or not. I have several friends and contacts in the NFL circle and I was just as shocked to find out that he still is regarded as a good coach there. I am not saying I agree with it, just saying that is how he is viewed.

I talked to the tooth fairy and Santa last night about DJ. Neither are really impressed. The Easter Bunny likes him, but not as a HC.

Seriously, did you see Brett Favre's reaction to the play call a few weeks ago? He was doing everything he could not to laugh. No NFL person can take Dick Jauron seriously after this season.

62 coaches have survived to coach 130 games in NFL history. Only four have a worse winning percentage than he does.