Any Possibility of Improvement?

thebandit27

I was thinking about this a little while ago. Let me preface my statement by saying that I don't necessarily think this will happen, but it's an interesting possibility.

Is it possible that the Bills improve as a team despite the presence of Dick Jauron?

Lets lay out some facts here.

1. Whether or not you personally believe that the Bills have a No. 1 QB, RB, WR, DE, etc., to deny that the team has at least some talent and potential on both sides of the ball is unrealistic.

2. Whether or not you agree with who the Bills acquire during the upcoming draft and free agency, there will be some attempt to improve the team. Even a stupid deal to a group 2 free agent adds something.

It makes me wonder if--assuming that an ideal set of circumstances presented itself--an NFL team could improve based on the talent on the roster even if the coaching weren't up to par. Most likely, the source of this improvement would come from whatever young veterans are currently on the team, in the form of stepping up their play and taking on additional responsibility for on-field direction and off-field instruction.

Suppose certain players on this Bills team were able to do that (Evans, Lynch, Jackson, Reed, Stroud, Mitchell, and Crowell--if he re-signs) with not only the current young talent on the team (guys like Steve Johnson, Derek Fine, Paul Posluszny, Leodis McKelvin, even Roscoe Parrish) but any additions that came through free agency and the draft.

If you think about it, if that did happen, the only real deficiency would be the offensive line. However, I must at this point pause to laud the o-line for the run-blocking over the last 6 games. In particular, their performance against the Jets and--especially--the Patriots (even when they knew the Bills would run on every down). Well, suppose another year together makes the line even 5% better. I'm not saying it'll happen, but what if it did?

Could the team get better?

I was thinking about this a little while ago. Let me preface my statement by saying that I don't necessarily think this will happen, but it's an interesting possibility.

Is it possible that the Bills improve as a team despite the presence of Dick Jauron?

1. Whether or not you personally believe that the Bills have a No. 1 QB, RB, WR, DE, etc., to deny that the team has at least some talent and potential on both sides of the ball is unrealistic.

2. Whether or not you agree with who the Bills acquire during the upcoming draft and free agency, there will be some attempt to improve the team. Even a stupid deal to a group 2 free agent adds something.

It makes me wonder if--assuming that an ideal set of circumstances presented itself--an NFL team could improve based on the talent on the roster even if the coaching weren't up to par. Most likely, the source of this improvement would come from whatever young veterans are currently on the team, in the form of stepping up their play and taking on additional responsibility for on-field direction and off-field instruction.

Suppose certain players on this Bills team were able to do that (Evans, Lynch, Jackson, Reed, Stroud, Mitchell, and Crowell--if he re-signs) with not only the current young talent on the team (guys like Steve Johnson, Derek Fine, Paul Posluszny, Leodis McKelvin, even Roscoe Parrish) but any additions that came through free agency and the draft.

If you think about it, if that did happen, the only real deficiency would be the offensive line. However, I must at this point pause to laud the o-line for the run-blocking over the last 6 games. In particular, their performance against the Jets and--especially--the Patriots (even when they knew the Bills would run on every down). Well, suppose another year together makes the line even 5% better. I'm not saying it'll happen, but what if it did?

Yes.... But.... DJ will still cost us 4-5 games

Yes.... But.... DJ will still cost us 4-5 games

Yep. Coaching will cost us a handful of games, and like most NFL teams do we'll lose a couple others for other reasons -- bad bounces, whatever -- and with another 0-6 record in the AFCE we'll finish somewhere around 6-10.

And Jauron and co. will be back, so at best it's a wash.

Unbelieveable. How can that man still have his job after the second Jets loss. Add the poor clock management in the second Pats game, and it makes it worse. No, worse was his press conference, when he tried to justify the running play with "we ran it in practice". That's the equivalent to "my dog ate my homework"......

I've been harping about the O-line for 7-8 years. Lynch/Jackson running this year reminded me of OJ before the electric company; no holes, tacklers in teh backfield, no containment on sweeps. A athletic o-line (as opposed to overweight) could make these two dominate the league. Right now, the o-line holds them back.

This still doesn't help the coaching issue. Jauron's teams underperform, and Jauron makes poor game day decisions. In close games, that tilts the game in favor of our opponents, and we'll be 7-9 again in 2009.

The only group that's relieved Jauron's retained are CFL fans. This ensures at least one team will embarrass "the 4-down game" for at least one more year in Toronto.

Unbelieveable. How can that man still have his job after the second Jets loss. Add the poor clock management in the second Pats game, and it makes it worse. No, worse was his press conference, when he tried to justify the running play with "we ran it in practice". That's the equivalent to "my dog ate my homework"......

I gotta say, the end of the half debacle against the Pats was the MOST frustrated I have ever been as a Bills fan. It's not hyperbole...I literally walked over to the tv and started screaming. My wife had never seen me that nutso. Watching them as the clock ran down to zero felt like I watching the old 70s vibrating football game....guys buzzing around the field with no direction...fred jackson with the ball taking off for the sidelines...preston milling around with a bunch of Pats* on him...then all of our guys circling the refs....

At that moment it just so damned obvious....this man does not belong in his current job. He is not a leader and this team is dead in the water with him.

So what if the team loves him...schoolkids love when they get a substitute teacher, but it doesn't mean they're learning anything.